The Student Room Group

Does someone mind explaining the difference between the maintenance loan and grant?

Okay, I get that the loan you pay back and the grant you don't.

In my application it says I've applied for the maximum maintenance loan possible - in my case this is £4,288.

But underneath this is the maintenance grant and in the amount requested box it says 'N/A' but I'm entitled to £2,923. I'm just confused at why it says 'N/A' in the requested box?
You need to make sure you've supplied all your financial details for your household ie your parents, as well as your course start date. If you already have, just give them a call to see what the situation is. Often they may not have received details, or not processed them yet (very common!)
Reply 2
Original post by Deyesy
Okay, I get that the loan you pay back and the grant you don't.

In my application it says I've applied for the maximum maintenance loan possible - in my case this is £4,288.

But underneath this is the maintenance grant and in the amount requested box it says 'N/A' but I'm entitled to £2,923. I'm just confused at why it says 'N/A' in the requested box?

either you're not entitled to it, you've not applied for it correctly based on parental income or it's a mistake (there was a mistake on mine where they had proposed giving me the wrong amount of grant and loan so it's not impossible) You can just ring them up (they may take 20/30 minutes to answer so bear this in mind, but they should be able to talk you through why you're getting that amount and/or check if there's an error.

Hope that helps :smile:
Both the loan and grant are designed to go towards rent and other living costs such as food.

You have to pay back a loan, but you don't pay back the grant money.

Either something has gone wrong or you accidentally clicked something wrong if it's saying N/A.
Reply 4
Original post by MJK91
You need to make sure you've supplied all your financial details for your household ie your parents, as well as your course start date. If you already have, just give them a call to see what the situation is. Often they may not have received details, or not processed them yet (very common!)

Yeah I submitted a paper application form - So I've definitely supplied all the financial details. I know it can take up to 6 weeks to process an application form - Aslong as they've received it before the date, changes to the application form won't affect the time I get my finance?

Original post by Stevo F
either you're not entitled to it, you've not applied for it correctly based on parental income or it's a mistake (there was a mistake on mine where they had proposed giving me the wrong amount of grant and loan so it's not impossible) You can just ring them up (they may take 20/30 minutes to answer so bear this in mind, but they should be able to talk you through why you're getting that amount and/or check if there's an error.

Hope that helps :smile:

Yeah I might have to give them a ring. I'm just confused why it says I'm entitled to nearly 3k in a grant but apparently I've not requested it.

Original post by anony.mouse
Both the loan and grant are designed to go towards rent and other living costs such as food.

You have to pay back a loan, but you don't pay back the grant money.

Either something has gone wrong or you accidentally clicked something wrong if it's saying N/A.

I get that it pays for rent and living costs too. The Maintenance loan covers my accommodation costs - Just. But that leaves me nothing to live off if I don't get the grant I'm apparently entitled to :colonhash: Should be easy enough to sort out I hope :lol:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Ah the joys of Twitter :smile:

'@Deyesy Hi Deyesy. The amounts you've been shown is an estimate based on the income info you've given. We need to verify the income figures with HMRC after this the N/A will change to an amount.'

Sorted :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending