The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE History A, International Relations

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Jmw123
DO you know where I could get a list of every event I need to know?

No, but there might be one around somewhere. I just went through my notebook when I did it.
Reply 21
what are the key feautres of the cuban missile crisis?
Cuban Missile Crisis: 1962
Cuba is only 90 miles away from Cuba
1959 - Revolutionary groups led by Fidel Castro overthrew the corrupt and pro US government and Castro became leader. He tried to make friends with the USA but they declined as he had communist tendencies so he turned to the USSR, who gave them help by ordering 1 million tonnes of sugar from Cuba every year
The USA, along with Cuban exiles tried to overthrow Castro, known as the bay of pigs invasion but they failed.
On the 14th October 1962, a U2 spy plane saw missile bases being built in Cuba
Excomm decided what to do
22nd October - JFK ordered the US navy to blockade Cuba and to destroy any vessel that passed the quarantine line
23rd October - The UN backed the USA and ordered the Soviet Union to remove its missiles from Cuba
The world held its breath as if the USSR refused there would be a nuclear war
27th October - Khrushchev offered privately to JFK that he would remove the missiles if the USA removed theirs from Turkey(Close the the USSR) kennedy agreed
28th October - Khrushchev ordered the ships to return home. The crisis was over
Both countries were shocked at how close they had come to a nuclear war
Detente began
Reply 23
I'm worried that there might be an obscure question on something like the Korean War- our textbook gives it pretty minimal coverage :/ do you think something like that might come up?
For units 4, 5 and 6 do you need to know about the Korean War? if so can someone tell me the key points please? we haven't learned it:/
Reply 25
Original post by Chloe_Atherton
For units 4, 5 and 6 do you need to know about the Korean War? if so can someone tell me the key points please? we haven't learned it:/

i dont think so because im doing those units and we havnt learnt it. Also, dont think its in the textbook
If asked for the key features of the Cuban Missile Crisis would you only talk about the 13 days or would you have a feature on the build up to it as well? (e.g the Soviet alliance with Castro following 1959 Revolution?)
Also, does anyone know what the questions for B and C were for Sections 4, 5 and 6 on the Jan 2013 paper? I can't access the paper anywhere :frown:
Hi everyone, just to answer a few question:

No, no knowledge needed of Korean war except that it increased tensions in 1950-3

Key features can be events, causes or effects.

If you want a list of what you need to know, if you have the edexcel textbook, look at pages 145+.

Here is the jan 2013 paper if you are interested: (there are some odd questions, so if anyone has a markscheme or report for jan 2013 than feel free to upload it please)

woops, the file is too big. Link To open it click on the link and download it from the top as an adobe file.

Scratch that I will paste the questions for 4/5/6:

Describe the key features of the Potsdam Conference, 1945.

Describe the key features of the re-establishment of Soviet control in Hungary
in 1956.

Explain why Stalin decided to blockade Berlin in 1948.

Describe the key features of the involvement of the USA in the
Bay of Pigs invasion, 1961.

Describe the key features of the attempts by the USA and the Soviet Union to
deal with the problems of a divided Berlin in the years 1959–61.

Explain why Czechoslovakia was a flashpoint in the Cold War in 1968. (not personally sure if they want causes or effects on relations)

Describe the key features of détente in the years 1975–79.

Describe the key features of the summit conferences between the USA and
the Soviet Union in the years 1985–87.

Explain why relations between the USA and the Soviet Union changed in the
years 1980–84.
(edited 10 years ago)
Penguin, that link is asking me for a password. If you are able to view it could you possibly summarise the main event in B and C in section 4,5 and 6 please? I'm trying to work out what has been asked less than others. That would be much appreciated, if you can't get the attachment to work.

Cheers :smile:
Original post by NorwichCityFC
Penguin, that link is asking me for a password. If you are able to view it could you possibly summarise the main event in B and C in section 4,5 and 6 please? I'm trying to work out what has been asked less than others. That would be much appreciated, if you can't get the attachment to work.

Cheers :smile:

See the post again
Are these things that you need to know for sections 4,5 and 6?
Wartime alliance
Teheran conference
Yalta Conference
Potsdam Conference
Truman Doctrine
Cominform
Marshall Aid
Comecon
Berlin Blockade
NATO and the Warsaw pact
Hungarian Uprising
Berlin Wall
Cuban missile crisis
Detente
Prague spring/czechoslovakian uprising
Soviet war in Afghanistan
Gorbachev and Reagan
End of cold war and the collapse of The Soviet Union

the carter doctrine also established as a result of the invasion on aghanistan :smile:
Great, cheers
Original post by Mrkingpenguin
Hi everyone, just to answer a few question:

No, no knowledge needed of Korean war except that it increased tensions in 1950-3

Key features can be events, causes or effects.

If you want a list of what you need to know, if you have the edexcel textbook, look at pages 145+.

Here is the jan 2013 paper if you are interested: (there are some odd questions, so if anyone has a markscheme or report for jan 2013 than feel free to upload it please)

woops, the file is too big. Link To open it click on the link and download it from the top as an adobe file.

Scratch that I will paste the questions for 4/5/6:

Describe the key features of the Potsdam Conference, 1945.

Describe the key features of the re-establishment of Soviet control in Hungary
in 1956.

Explain why Stalin decided to blockade Berlin in 1948.

Describe the key features of the involvement of the USA in the
Bay of Pigs invasion, 1961.

Describe the key features of the attempts by the USA and the Soviet Union to
deal with the problems of a divided Berlin in the years 1959–61.

Explain why Czechoslovakia was a flashpoint in the Cold War in 1968. (not personally sure if they want causes or effects on relations)

Describe the key features of détente in the years 1975–79.

Describe the key features of the summit conferences between the USA and
the Soviet Union in the years 1985–87.

Explain why relations between the USA and the Soviet Union changed in the
years 1980–84.

how would you answer questions 5, 6, 8 and 9? :/ our teacher hasnt taught us the summit conferences:/
Original post by unorthodoxalien
the carter doctrine also established as a result of the invasion on aghanistan :smile:

What is that?:/
My friend said we need to know about Vietnam, is that true? and if so how much detail? :smile:
What are the key features of the Soviet expansion into Eastern Europe in the late 1940s/50s?
My friend said we need to know about Vietnam, is that true? and if so how much detail? :smile:

Only thing I know about Vietnam is that America did not react with military force to the Czechoslovakia invasion because they were busy fighting in Vietnam.
Also, can anyone help with me this:

In the text book it says at the Yalta conference "Churchill agreed to the establishment of a communist government in Poland", however it says on the next page Stalin had gone against his word as he created a communist government, instead of one that included communists and capitalists? I thought they agreed to a communist one in the first place.
Original post by NorwichCityFC
Also, can anyone help with me this:

In the text book it says at the Yalta conference "Churchill agreed to the establishment of a communist government in Poland", however it says on the next page Stalin had gone against his word as he created a communist government, instead of one that included communists and capitalists? I thought they agreed to a communist one in the first place.

Churchill said communists could be included, but that did not mean the whole Gov. should be communist-there would be a mix. Stalin ignored this and made it exclusively comm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending