The Student Room Group

Oxidation states

How would you know/work out the oxidation states of elements?

eg. P4, N3-...
The oxidation states in elements is always zero?
Rules for determining Oxidation Numbers.png A mind map I made for my Chemistry Revision. May help a little :smile:
Yes, remember for elements the oxidation state is always 0. Unfortunately, these are rules that simply have to be learnt before they can be applied! Try using the full rules set out in textbook/revision guide/whatever in conjunction with things such as the mindmap posted above and you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Hunarench95
Rules for determining Oxidation Numbers.png A mind map I made for my Chemistry Revision. May help a little :smile:

So, if it's Ag+ then the oxidation state is +1?
Original post by Me14

Yep, because thats the total charge of the ion.
P4 would be 0 because it's an element.
N3- would be -3.

If this is AS level, then you'll need to be able to work out other ones, like the oxidation state of N in AgNO3
Ag=+1
O=-2x3=-6

+1-6+x=0
-5+x=0
x=+5
Reply 7
Original post by x-Sophie-x
P4 would be 0 because it's an element.
N3- would be -3.

If this is AS level, then you'll need to be able to work out other ones, like the oxidation state of N in AgNO3
Ag=+1
O=-2x3=-6

+1-6+x=0
-5+x=0
x=+5

So does the oxidation state mainly depend on the position in the periodic table? I mean besides the exceptions.
Original post by Me14

That's correct. You may be asked to work out the other oxidation states in a molecule. Once you know the rules, you can work them out. For example, in a molecule oxygen is normally -2,

Therefore the carbon in CO2 is going to be +4, so that the overall charge of the molecule is zero.

Another table I made for my revision. Aren't I a nice guy? :cool:

Element
Normal Oxidation Number
Exceptions
Group 1
+1

Group 2
+2

Al
+3

H
+1
Metal Hybrides where it is -1
F

O
If combined with F, such as OF2 where it is +2, or in peroxides, where it is -1, eg H2O2
Cl
If combined with F or O where it is positive
Br
If combined with F, O or Cl where it is positive
I
If combined with F, O, Cl, Br where it is positive

Screen Shot 2013-05-28 at 21.07.50.png
Original post by Me14
So does the oxidation state mainly depend on the position in the periodic table? I mean besides the exceptions.

Yeah, it basically depends on the group that element is in, apart from the exceptions as you say :')
Reply 11
Original post by x-Sophie-x
N3- would be -3.

That depends on whether the poster meant N3- or N3-!
Original post by BJack
That depends on whether the poster meant N3- or N3-!

That's true, I didn't realise that :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest