The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

The Maltings 2013/14

Hi. Just booked the Maltings for this coming September doing theatre design. I was a little unorganized so booked accommodation too late to get a city site accommodation but after a little research I went for the Maltings. Just thought I'd share what I found out...

The Maltings - building 2 is the older building and used to be a brewery (has a bit of character) rooms are bigger than the newer building (building 1) however I've heard that walls in building 2 are thin.

Travel - This coming September the free bus pass plan is being scrapped and in its place will be a university bus that goes from the Maltings direct to the University campus and the buses will hopefully be timetabled to work with lecture times. (Although this might not happen I'm just repeating what Ive heard from the accommodation hotline)

I also have a few worries - I'm kinda young compared to most, still 17 (summer b-day) and am coming onto an 'art-ish' course straight from A-levels when I know art people normally do a foundation year.

Hope this helps for all the late bookers (like myself) I hope to find some people in the same flat/building/course as me :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi Im also coming to Nottingham trent and will be studying fashion design . Ive booked the Maltings as my accommodation.

I have done a foundation year as I didnt do very well with my a-levels. I also have a late birthday so I would have only just turned 18 if I had started a degree last year. Im feeling a bit scared about going to uni but really excited. To be honest a foundation year isn't compulsory and if you've already got a place then you must be really good! If anything from my foundation I've learnt to just be more open minded and not be so safe with the things I did. I would just recommend going to some galleries and exhibition in your chosen pathway or things that inspire you. Just so that when you start you've got some ideas for your projects.
I hope this helps....
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Awesome! I'm really excited too. Grew up around the theatre/art world and always been dubbed the unusual one in my art classes so from what your saying I reckon I'll be ok :smile: thanks. I shall also be looking to join the maltings fb group asap. See if I can find more people :smile:
this is very helpful, thanks a lot. i'm still not sure whether to go for the maltings or meridian court.
Reply 4
There's a nice local round the corner from the maltings, I live round near by so know the are quite well. Happy to give you any info on the area if there's anything you'd like to know before you move here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Hi Sherrif
How did you find travelling into uni each day is the journey into the city centre okay ?
Reply 6
Hi,

I don't actually go to university, yet. Just lucky enough to live in Nottingham :rolleyes: haha I have however used the bus that runs that way and they are pretty regular and quick, you do go over a ring road so in peak times you may get a little bit stuck. There is however a couple of tram stops right near the maltings as well and they are really quick, you're talking 10ish minutes to Trent Uni and there is a stop at the university so you can't go wrong!
hi Sherriff thanks for the info.

the transport system in nottingham sounds great. i don't think getting to and coming from trent campus would be a problem but i'm assuming people have to take a taxi after a night out? do you how much it normally costs?
Reply 8
Yeah it would be a taxi after a night out, latest tram is around 12ish though there is a bus that runs at night up till around 3 I think that goes to Nuthall Road (5/10 minute walk from The Maltings). If you just jump in a black cab you're looking around £10 or if you order or manage to wing down a company cab you're looking about £7ish so not too bad really.
Hey,

I am also coming to Nottingham Trent, and thanks to my extremely organised personality I managed to leave booking accomadation till today :tongue:, I turned 18 in late December, and am looking forward to living in the maltings; nervous too, I'm studying chemistry so will have to get a bus to the Clifton campus, which means getting up earlier, woohoo. The free transport sounds really good, means more money for going out! :smile:. Is anyone else having to get bus to Clifton, and how are you all feeling about living at maltings in September? Hope I'm not getting to ahead of myself as I don't even know if I got the grades to get in!
Reply 10
Original post by ImprudentStudent
Hey,

I am also coming to Nottingham Trent, and thanks to my extremely organised personality I managed to leave booking accomadation till today :tongue:, I turned 18 in late December, and am looking forward to living in the maltings; nervous too, I'm studying chemistry so will have to get a bus to the Clifton campus, which means getting up earlier, woohoo. The free transport sounds really good, means more money for going out! :smile:. Is anyone else having to get bus to Clifton, and how are you all feeling about living at maltings in September? Hope I'm not getting to ahead of myself as I don't even know if I got the grades to get in!

I am also studying at Clifton and living at The Maltings.

I found out that there is a direct bus that stops around the corner from The Maltings and stops 3 or so minutes from the campus. So it's not as bad as I was expecting. :smile:
Original post by ImprudentStudent
Hey,

I'm doing exactly the same thing! Studying chemistry but staying at Maltings, I've heard the journey doesn't take long so hopefully it works out okay!
I'm with you's commuting. I'm studying English and Media, so goodness knows how often I'll need to be up there.
Reply 13
I'm commuting into Clifton from The Maltings too.

English and History course for me!
Original post by DMee9
I'm commuting into Clifton from The Maltings too.

English and History course for me!

Oh that's awesome! What flat are you in? :smile:

Also, do you have facebook? I'm adding all the english freshers and having a group chat so we can get to know each other :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending