The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
john-boro
I'm really, really sorry.

I tried not to laugh, but i have to admit that i found that pretty funny:biggrin:
Reply 2
I can hear Hardy turning in his grave...
Reply 3
what's with this posting in multiple forums and pseudo-humoured responses?
Reply 4
john-boro
I'm really, really sorry.
you have to be a qualified mathematician to say that:wink:
Reply 5
chewwy
what's with this posting in multiple forums and pseudo-humoured responses?

sorry, I thought I posted it in academic help originally, and then when it wasn't in there I thought, bugger, and posted it there. I had not realised that I actually posted it here first.

Anyway, Twice the threads, Twice the fun :wink:
Reply 6
Hah. I laughed. :wink:
Reply 7
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has experienced Maths humour - I recently read a book which described calculus (I don't think this was intentional by the author) as the turning point of modern maths.
Reply 8
Dragon Girl
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has experienced Maths humour - I recently read a book which described calculus (I don't think this was intentional by the author) as the turning point of modern maths.

I'm sure you laughed off your white cotton socks.
Reply 9
I think you're a little behind the times, fashionwise.

Cotton socks went out in the 40s.
Reply 10
Dragon Girl
I think you're a little behind the times, fashionwise.

Cotton socks went out in the 40s.

Yeah but this is a maths forum, most of us on here probably still wear them, along with our best leather sandals :p: (am I the only one to have noticed the number of maths professors who wear this combination is WAY higher than normal?)
Reply 11
This thread still makes me chuckle. :frown:
Reply 12
(am I the only one to have noticed the number of maths professors who wear this combination is WAY higher than normal?)

I think we need a hypothesis test!
ssmoose
I think we need a hypothesis test!

Noooo! Not more hypothesis tests! :p:

I've just done S2 and S3 and am sick of them! Stats wasn't exactly my favourite thing to start with.
Reply 14
im not a mathmatician, im being nosy and want to know how it's funny (not in a sarcastic way, i actually want to know):smile:
Root
im not a mathmatician, im being nosy and want to know how it's funny (not in a sarcastic way, i actually want to know):smile:

The mathematician's apology or the calculus thing?
Root

A mathematician's apology is a book by a famous mathematician, Godfrey Hardy, in which he introduces maths to beginners with a slightly unconventional edge (not the way you'd find it in any other maths book).
Reply 17
I've just done S2 and S3 and am sick of them! Stats wasn't exactly my favourite thing to start with.

Why do people do that to themselves? M3 isn;t very hard you know.
Reply 18
ssmoose
Why do people do that to themselves? M3 isn;t very hard you know.

I like stats. Sometimes I think i'm the only one though......
Can anyone recommend more books like a mathematician's apology? Thanks

Latest