The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by mollyh77
I think I want to do Medicine.. I don't know.. I'm really confused at the minute haha! Like, it seems logical from the subjects I'm doing, and I like sciences and I do want to help people, and it seems really cool and interesting, but I'm not sure. I would like to do something to help people in the longterm, like help cure a disease or something, but I don't know, is medicine the way to do that?
As for predicted grades, I'm looking at pretty much A*s the whole way through everything, except maybe english lang and lit where I'm hoping for As and possibly RE if I don't start doing some work :P
What are people doing for A levels? And also how did you get work experience and stuff? We're doing work experience in school in january, should I try to get something before that or not?

3 sciences, maths and future maths are my out downs however my physics exam went atrociously this year so I may drop it for history and depending on if I do physics or not I may swap further maths for philosophy due to teacher problems.

I was lucky enough to have made contacts during my long term medical issue myself however volunteering is easy to do - doesn't have to be in a hospital; care homes are great!!
Reply 21
Original post by Ingenting
Wow, this is early! I applied this year for the second time and now have an offer for Newcastle, and I too am happy to answer any questions you've got.

Good luck guys! :biggrin:

What was your ukcat? I'm in year 12! How long did you prepare? Any tips

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
I'm hoping for any Uni I apply for currently as I've not looked at accommodation but their profiles on UCAS for medicine etc are all appealing.

I'd apply for;

-Nottingham
-Cambridge
-St Andrews
-Liverpool
-Manchester/Cardiff

Anyone plan on doing anything cool in Uni? Anyone arty/musical/sporty? Anyone want to do anything abroad? I'd love to do a year in Australia personally or America.
Reply 23
Original post by curved
I'm hoping for any Uni I apply for currently as I've not looked at accommodation but their profiles on UCAS for medicine etc are all appealing.

I'd apply for;

-Nottingham
-Cambridge
-St Andrews
-Liverpool
-Manchester/Cardiff

Anyone plan on doing anything cool in Uni? Anyone arty/musical/sporty? Anyone want to do anything abroad? I'd love to do a year in Australia personally or America.

i want to something musical such as joining a woodwind chamber/ orchestra/ choir. I play the ckarinet and piano. but i dunno if we have so much free time in medical schools :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by JackTeh96
i want to something musical such as joining a woodwind chamber/ orchestra/ choir. I play the ckarinet and piano. but i dunno if we have so much free time in medical schools :smile:

Ah cool :smile: I'd love to join a debate group or a rowing club; rowing machines have always been my fave at the gym and I'd love to try it for real. Depending on how my muscles and joints are I may be taking up yoga soon and if I like it hopefully I'll still do a bit in uni to calm down haha
Reply 25
Original post by curved
Ah cool :smile: I'd love to join a debate group or a rowing club; rowing machines have always been my fave at the gym and I'd love to try it for real. Depending on how my muscles and joints are I may be taking up yoga soon and if I like it hopefully I'll still do a bit in uni to calm down haha

thanks so cool!! good to know that someone has the exact same dream as me!!
Reply 26
Original post by curved
3 sciences, maths and future maths are my out downs however my physics exam went atrociously this year so I may drop it for history and depending on if I do physics or not I may swap further maths for philosophy due to teacher problems.

I was lucky enough to have made contacts during my long term medical issue myself however volunteering is easy to do - doesn't have to be in a hospital; care homes are great!!

I was going to do three sciences and further! But I genuinely hate physics so I changed my mind last minute to french :s-smilie: Which could be interesting though because there's a medicine with french course at Manchester, so i dont know I might look into that :P I'm sure your physics didn't go as bad as you think though!

Oh I see! Well my granny is in a care home at the moment, do you think it would be sensible to ask them if I could do volunteering there?

Also as for what sort of university, I'd really like to try for Cambridge; don't think I'd get in because I reckon I'd be crap at interviews but I'll definitely try anyways. I'll also probably apply to Queens purely because it's a lot cheaper, but apart from that and maybe manchester for that french course I'm not sure..

Oh and for activities at uni, if my uni has a windsurfing club I am so there. I mean, I'm not very good but it's so much fun and I've done it most years since I was 5 :P (I always manage to forget how to do it during the winter so i'm constantly relearning how to turn and stuff..) I also like skiing. And rowing sounds cool, but I think you have to be tall for that and I'm a bit on the short side..
Reply 27
I have been waiting for this thread!
Hi guys!I 'm from Greece,I have already a bachelor in Nursing and want desperately to study medicine.I was told that is difficult to get in and I need a levels,which I have no idea what these are.Could you inform me,please?If I want to take a levels,what should I study?And what else do I need to have?Should I prepare for the UKCAT?Is it difficult?
You are free to tell me anything you think is important!Thanks!!!
Reply 28
I was going to do three sciences and further! But I genuinely hate physics so I changed my mind last minute to french :s-smilie: Which could be interesting though because there's a medicine with french course at Manchester, so i dont know I might look into that :P I'm sure your physics didn't go as bad as you think though!

Oh I see! Well my granny is in a care home at the moment, do you think it would be sensible to ask them if I could do volunteering there?

Also as for what sort of university, I'd really like to try for Cambridge; don't think I'd get in because I reckon I'd be crap at interviews but I'll definitely try anyways. I'll also probably apply to Queens purely because it's a lot cheaper, but apart from that and maybe manchester for that french course I'm not sure..

Oh and for activities at uni, if my uni has a windsurfing club I am so there. I mean, I'm not very good but it's so much fun and I've done it most years since I was 5 :P (I always manage to forget how to do it during the winter so i'm constantly relearning how to turn and stuff..) I also like skiing. And rowing sounds cool, but I think you have to be tall for that and I'm a bit on the short side..

I personally do not see the point to doing further maths for med apps unless anything has changed they only accept 1 math A level. Also not saying you cant cope but quality over quantity AS are a jump up especially in the sciences and most med schools do not ask for more than 3 A and 1 AS. French sounds good it will show a more varied skill base in combination with the sciences and help you a bit to stand out from the crowd. Don' t worry about interviews and Cambridge almost every med school interviews and none are easy abd anyway as i understand it they dont interview many so if you get one theres a good chance of a place. What they do like is high ums AS marks especially in chemistry. Check out all the course details not just reputation of the uni as a whole first. I found oxbridge separated clinical and theory and were intense courses with some students still not having met a patient by third year (not a good time to find out if you dislike clinical apparently) if this is what you are looking for it is great though but personally I am not. So do your research in subjects and requirements forventrance as well as tge course they all are different and have their own merits. You have plenty of time to decide but it does go quickly ( yes i know everyone says that but after 2 months of AS it flew by and now I have til the 19th to go arrrrgh! Yay

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Hi guys,

I'm in year 13 and it was only yesterday I was in your situation with 1000s of questions. If you've got any questions, feel free to PM me or tag me here. Anything you like from work experience to deciding if Medicine is for you or not (DEFINITELY A BIG THING TO LOOK INTO! AS they can interrogate you at interviews if they doubt anything and is the key to your PS) or even applying (although don't stress too much about which Unis, UKCAT and chances are it may even change :tongue: i think with the no resits for a-levels the entry requirements may drop slightly back to AAB if people do perform less well overall but thats just a guess haha and its also a long way off and you should focus on the grades and experience :smile: also you will mostly likely change your mind about where 1000x times and cant really decide that until you have your UKCAT score)
Reply 30
As deadlines for medicine courses are in October of Year 13 and I go into Year 12 next year should I go to open days during Year 12? :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by jadpan
I personally do not see the point to doing further maths for med apps unless anything has changed they only accept 1 math A level. Also not saying you cant cope but quality over quantity AS are a jump up especially in the sciences and most med schools do not ask for more than 3 A and 1 AS. French sounds good it will show a more varied skill base in combination with the sciences and help you a bit to stand out from the crowd. Don' t worry about interviews and Cambridge almost every med school interviews and none are easy abd anyway as i understand it they dont interview many so if you get one theres a good chance of a place. What they do like is high ums AS marks especially in chemistry. Check out all the course details not just reputation of the uni as a whole first. I found oxbridge separated clinical and theory and were intense courses with some students still not having met a patient by third year (not a good time to find out if you dislike clinical apparently) if this is what you are looking for it is great though but personally I am not. So do your research in subjects and requirements forventrance as well as tge course they all are different and have their own merits. You have plenty of time to decide but it does go quickly ( yes i know everyone says that but after 2 months of AS it flew by and now I have til the 19th to go arrrrgh! Yay

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing further maths because I enjoy the challenge of maths :smile: I am (not to sound boasty) one of the best in my year at maths, and got full ums in the GCSE last year, and I'mhoping for a very good result in additional mathematics this year, and so I feel like doing further seems like a logical step. Plus, I might not do the whole further a-level; I may just do the accelerated maths part and then drop it, or just do the AS of further. It also leaves me with options to go into maths or economics if I decide not to do medicine after all, and gives me more options if I decide to drop french after a year (the literature part does not apply to me) but still leaves me with 4 a levels and an as. Also my teacher told em I would get bored if I did the maths a level in 2 years, considering the pace we have been working at in additional :P

Yeah that was my hope for french! Also I think it might improve my communication skills so that would be good for me and also relevant to medicine.
Interviews will be so scary, but if I prepare and practise it'll be alright, hopefully :P Especially in chemistry? Oh that's good, it's my second favourite subject after mathss.
I'll definitely take your advice and look into it more; it being the middle of my GCSEs I'm just procrastinating and trying to motivate myself by looking at unis and courses, so I'll be sure to start looking at them in depth.

Also good luck for your exams!
Reply 32
I'm doing further maths because I enjoy the challenge of maths :smile: I am (not to sound boasty) one of the best in my year at maths, and got full ums in the GCSE last year, and I'mhoping for a very good result in additional mathematics this year, and so I feel like doing further seems like a logical step. Plus, I might not do the whole further a-level; I may just do the accelerated maths part and then drop it, or just do the AS of further. It also leaves me with options to go into maths or economics if I decide not to do medicine after all, and gives me more options if I decide to drop french after a year (the literature part does not apply to me) but still leaves me with 4 a levels and an as. Also my teacher told em I would get bored if I did the maths a level in 2 years, considering the pace we have been working at in additional :P

Yeah that was my hope for french! Also I think it might improve my communication skills so that would be good for me and also relevant to medicine.
Interviews will be so scary, but if I prepare and practise it'll be alright, hopefully :P Especially in chemistry? Oh that's good, it's my second favourite subject after mathss.
I'll definitely take your advice and look into it more; it being the middle of my GCSEs I'm just procrastinating and trying to motivate myself by looking at unis and courses, so I'll be sure to start looking at them in depth.

Cool sounds good and no its not boastful at all i was in the same position and yep maths in two can get a little boring but my teachers are fantastically funny so ha good fun! Im on WJEC board and i would say chems the hardest of what i do ( and i hate stats grrrr pure any day just make sure you dont make life too hard you need time to enjoy ( gcses are really easy!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33

Chem gcse is nothing like as or more importantly a level ( a level is sooooooo much fun yay!!!!!!!!!!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I see a lot of you are doing further maths I'd just like to point out that a lot of medical schools won't count it.
Reply 35
what about doing alevel maths in one year?? can that be an advantage??
Reply 36
Original post by jadpan
Cool sounds good and no its not boastful at all i was in the same position and yep maths in two can get a little boring but my teachers are fantastically funny so ha good fun! Im on WJEC board and i would say chems the hardest of what i do ( and i hate stats grrrr pure any day just make sure you dont make life too hard you need time to enjoy ( gcses are really easy!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by jadpan
Chem gcse is nothing like as or more importantly a level ( a level is sooooooo much fun yay!!!!!!!!!!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha good to hear! I'm doing CCEA gcses and I think my maths'll be on Edexcel, but the rest is possibly CCEA so hopefully my chem's not as hard hahaha :P I HATE STATS TOO! because at least if you sort of know pure you can work it out but you need formulas and stuff for stats :/ Not fun. Also I doubt you were saying that about GCSEs when you were doing them! :wink:
haha, can't wait for it!
Reply 37
Original post by 344302
What was your ukcat? I'm in year 12! How long did you prepare? Any tips

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, my UKCAT was 687.5 the first time I applied, and went up to 710 last year (I can't remember the individual section scores though). To prepare, I mostly used the 600Q book (tip: use pencil in case you're in the worst case scenario and have to re apply) and a lot of the free stuff out there: getintomedicine have loads of free questions and tips, and there's also some free stuff on Medify that's worth a look. Also, have a look at the wiki page for more tips and question banks:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT#Preparation_for_the_UKCAT

I think it took me a good 4-5 weeks to prepare for it, but the thing about the UKCAT is that, because it's an aptitude test, the amount of time you need to prepare will vary massively between people. My advice would be to attempt loads of questions untimed, until you feel comfortable with them, then give yourself, say, 50% extra and work down until you can complete all the questions in the given time. Do bear in mind though that some resources will give you much harder questions than you could ever expect on the day (QR in the 600Q book for example), so you might not be able to do it with these (I never could :colondollar:).

Finally, remember to make sure that any resources you buy have material for the new SJT part of the test. Good luck, and feel free to quote/PM me if you need more advice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by jsmben
As deadlines for medicine courses are in October of Year 13 and I go into Year 12 next year should I go to open days during Year 12? :smile:

Yes, there'll be open days during June/ July 2014 (after your AS exams) and then normally offer holder open days in the spring after you apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by Ingenting
Yes, there'll be open days during June/ July 2014 (after your AS exams) and then normally offer holder open days in the spring after you apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will I be able to go to ones during the year in general.

Latest

Trending

Trending