The Student Room Group

Medicine 2015 Entry Thread!

Hey guys, thought I would start a thread for hopeful 2015 Medicine applications. I know it's early but who cares. We all need to start somewhere. This thread is for those who are in Year 11 in England! :smile:

Post away.

---
EDIT: Here's the connect/stalking pages for Medicine. You'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying. :h:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wow this is pretty Early. Preparation is important, but you have got quite a while. I am in year 12 applying in October, happy to answer any questions you have.
Ola!

I'll join in too. I am a mature applicant and am going to try for 2014 entry whilst I study my access course (A-Level alternative), but it may be that Unis don't consider me til I've finished the course in which case 2015 entry it is....
Reply 3
This thread comes finally!!!
I am waiting for this thread for a lot of time honestly, just want to meet people on TSR who has the same passion as mine to read medicine at university.
Reply 4
Hi, I have offers for 2013 entry Cardiff firm and Sheffield insurance happy to answer any questions and hey why just England, Wales has same entrance process.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Wow, this is early! I applied this year for the second time and now have an offer for Newcastle, and I too am happy to answer any questions you've got.

Good luck guys! :biggrin:
Reply 6
I am mature student studying Bsc hons ....hoping to get in medicine GEP ....m glad to join this thread ..just to get updated with tips..
Reply 7
Original post by JackTeh96
This thread comes finally!!!
I am waiting for this thread for a lot of time honestly, just want to meet people on TSR who has the same passion as mine to read medicine at university.

Yeah! :smile:
Reply 8
Good luck peeps long road ahead. Starting early puts you in good stead; try and get well informed during Summer of different careers before you confirm Medicine is absolutely right for you and that you want to be a doctor, because there are other wonderfully rewarding careers in NHS/healthcare/science, too! This would give a clear sense of direction with regard to all your activities/work experience towards your application.
Reply 9
I would have to say check out all your options I decided to do medicine then vetinary science then dentistry then medicine again even looked at nursing ha i guess it was always medicine but het try it all and make the right decision

Posted from TSR Mobile
What kind of G.C.S.E grades you guys achieved or are predicted?
Reply 11
10A* 2A
AAAA at AS
715 UKCAT

If that was directed at 2013 entrants!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Unknown505
What kind of G.C.S.E grades you guys achieved or are predicted?

My results that are predicted:

A in Maths

A in Photography

A in History

A in I.T. Bacs

A* in Film Studies

B in Relious Studies

B in DiDA

B in English

C in Science *

C in Additional Sciene *

* The science department could not decide whether or not to enter me for Higher or Foundation Science and they entered me for Foundation which is now a decision they regret and I did try to be put in for the higher option.

Really annoyed me about Science but doing Biology and Chemistry next year at A-Level and Maths (with Mechancis too).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
I'm Year 11 and have a major passion and want to be a doctor however only decided around November/December this year after I got over being squeamish and had major surgery myself - let me realise how important it really is.

I'm FFT predicted all A* par drama and German but my realistic hopes/expectations are:

A* maths (already have)

B English Lit

B English Lang (I'd love an A but I've barely revised because I've been revising history)

A* History (could be an A if the Cold War exam goes tits up...)

A ICT

A Core Science (already have)

A* Additional Science (expecting it to border A/A* could go either side because I screwed up physics but I have a high ISA mark which will hopefully save me)

A Drama (had a weird examiner so no one knows how she'll mark - if she's generous, A*, harsh B and normal will get me an A)

B German

A/A* Philosophy&Ethics

A* statistics

Pass in sports leadership level 2 (had to change from GCSE PE due to health reasons meaning I wouldn't have passed GCSE PE)

What's everyone doing to prep? I have work experience planned shadowing my surgery at one of the top three hospitals in the world for his specialty :biggrin: :biggrin:
Any questions about KCL, Manchester, Newcastle or Nottingham fire away :smile: If I was you guys I'd start emailing around for volunteering jobs.
Reply 15
Original post by Hippokrates
Any questions about KCL, Manchester, Newcastle or Nottingham fire away :smile: If I was you guys I'd start emailing around for volunteering jobs.

Already done going to get a place at hospital as a volunteer.
Original post by jsmben
Already done going to get a place at hospital as a volunteer.

Which ward? I do MAU which is really good :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Hippokrates
Which ward? I do MAU which is really good :smile:

Still waiting for full details of the placement as I start in September.
Reply 18
I think I want to do Medicine.. I don't know.. I'm really confused at the minute haha! Like, it seems logical from the subjects I'm doing, and I like sciences and I do want to help people, and it seems really cool and interesting, but I'm not sure. I would like to do something to help people in the longterm, like help cure a disease or something, but I don't know, is medicine the way to do that?
As for predicted grades, I'm looking at pretty much A*s the whole way through everything, except maybe english lang and lit where I'm hoping for As and possibly RE if I don't start doing some work :P
What are people doing for A levels? And also how did you get work experience and stuff? We're doing work experience in school in january, should I try to get something before that or not?
Reply 19
This is my predicted grade:
IGCSE CIE
English Language B
Maths A* (already done)
Biology A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A*
Business Studies A
Music A*
Chinese First Language A
Additional Maths A*

I am taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths in A level, but i am considering doing six modules on maths in one year because i have pretty much learnt the content on Core 1 & 2 before.
I want to go to Cambridge/ Imperial/UCL to study medicine but then i realised that they all need BMAT which is veryyy risky. What universities are you guys hoping to apply?? I haven't done any working experience, but i have done some volunteering work and i will definitely do some shadowing/observing over the summer.

Latest