The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Current QMUL Students- Anyone missed their offer?

Hello.

So I got an offer for Computer Science in QMUL and getting at least a B in GCSE Mathematics is part of the requirements. I'm worried that if I fail to get a B in GCSE Mathematics I will lose my place. I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem before? I already have a grade C (4 Marks off a B). If anyone's been in the same situation before please let me know how it went.

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by onewayroad
Hello.

So I got an offer for Computer Science in QMUL and getting at least a B in GCSE Mathematics is part of the requirements. I'm worried that if I fail to get a B in GCSE Mathematics I will lose my place. I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem before? I already have a grade C (4 Marks off a B). If anyone's been in the same situation before please let me know how it went.

Thank you

Computer science at QMUL, isn't oversubscribed, in fact under........its always in clearing even during the last year of 3k fees and was available for a good week in clearing. And grade requirement bumped down to 280 ucas points for entry.
Will say if you get in, you will need to learn maths, a good amount of a-level maths especially statistics related.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Iqbal007
Computer science at QMUL, isn't oversubscribed, in fact under........its always in clearing even during the last year of 3k fees and was available for a good week in clearing. And grade requirement bumped down to 280 ucas points for entry.
Will say if you get in, you will need to learn maths, a good amount of a-level maths especially statistics related.

That's good! I have absolutely no problem with maths in general but I completely forgot the basics since I didn't study maths for two years and because of the workload from college I don't have enough time to revise for the exam properly. I just hope it goes well.

Thank you for letting me know :smile:

is electrical and electronic engineering over subscribed?
Reply 4
Original post by study beats
is electrical and electronic engineering over subscribed?

In my opinion not at all, or could do my course which goes for 280 points in clearing and transfer over.
They are undersubscribed if anything........which is down to the department, its lacking, a bit of the academic side, but a lot with the administration of it, consistency is a issue with them.
In my opinion not at all, or could do my course which goes for 280 points in clearing and transfer over.
They are undersubscribed if anything........which is down to the department, its lacking, a bit of the academic side, but a lot with the administration of it, consistency is a issue with them.

what do u mean by 280 points for clearing? and which year are u on now?
Reply 6
what do u mean by 280 points for clearing? and which year are u on now?

ucas points, alevels or btec's which are worth 280 in total.
Just finished 2nd year.
ucas points, alevels or btec's which are worth 280 in total.
Just finished 2nd year.

what if u get 260 UCAS points? and my offer requires 300?
Reply 8
what if u get 260 UCAS points? and my offer requires 300?

Well 280 is the minimum in clearing, any lower and you got to do an extra year in the foundation course.
Well 280 is the minimum in clearing, any lower and you got to do an extra year in the foundation course.

extra year in foundation course?? whats that??
Reply 10
extra year in foundation course?? whats that??

its just an extra year as a stepping block so they consider you ready for the actual you wanna do...............given you do the required modules and get a certain %.
its just an extra year as a stepping block so they consider you ready for the actual you wanna do...............given you do the required modules and get a certain %.

but i am always ready? cant i show them my talent and that i am ready

what will they make me do in the foundation year? what modules u talking about?
Reply 12
but i am always ready? cant i show them my talent and that i am ready

what will they make me do in the foundation year? what modules u talking about?

Thats upto them, but 280 is the minimum they accept, anything below and you get offered the foundation year instead.

Modules related to the course you want to do........so courses which may partially cover what you will do in the actual course, so maths module, physic, etc
Thats upto them, but 280 is the minimum they accept, anything below and you get offered the foundation year instead.

Modules related to the course you want to do........so courses which may partially cover what you will do in the actual course, so maths module, physic, etc

but i already have all the knowledge for that? do they think i am academically incapable or something?
Reply 14
but i already have all the knowledge for that? do they think i am academically incapable or something?

If you don't meet entry requirements then you don't get in, thats how it works, they are only willing to let you off a bit and thats it.
If you don't meet entry requirements then you don't get in, thats how it works, they are only willing to let you off a bit and thats it.

and by letting me off a bit, there giving me a foundation year?
Reply 16
and by letting me off a bit, there giving me a foundation year?

well you stated your offer is 300 ucas points, there is always little leigh weigh, which from my understanding would be them accepting 280 ucas points, they have been pretty decent at most they take of 40 points. After that they are very unlikely to give you anything else apart from a offer on the foundation course if there is any places.
well you stated your offer is 300 ucas points, there is always little leigh weigh, which from my understanding would be them accepting 280 ucas points, they have been pretty decent at most they take of 40 points. After that they are very unlikely to give you anything else apart from a offer on the foundation course if there is any places.

and for the foundation course, do i work with the same people for those 4 years? or after my foundation year, i then join up with the new students who applied for their first year?
Reply 18
and for the foundation course, do i work with the same people for those 4 years? or after my foundation year, i then join up with the new students who applied for their first year?

Different people after you complete your foundation year, as people are doing the course to get onto other courses, which may not be your exact course, may be similar or in another department. It does help with branching out and creating social groups.
Reply 19
Different people after you complete your foundation year, as people are doing the course to get onto other courses, which may not be your exact course, may be similar or in another department. It does help with branching out and creating social groups.

how about if i exceed the offer for foundation would they take me on for direct entry or is it too late for that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending