The Student Room Group

how much will you have to live off at uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by gijops
If your family earns £90k a year and they're not gonna fund your life in uni then I just feel sorry for you

Thanks lol, yeh they do. *plays small violin*
i'll never live off £70 a week especially since I need to go back home every Sunday from March till end of Uni. Luckily I can get full grant/loan I think because my dad is unemployed. Can also get cash from mum/biological dad who live abroad since they are both quite well off, but don't want to beg money off of family unless I really need to.
Reply 82
Original post by Emzv2
I'm planning on going to York next year, from what i know at the moment it seems i will have about £3,500 left after i pay my accommodation :smile: (Plus ill be getting an extra grand from the NHS on top of this). I feel so lucky reading this! Still not sure how little ill be living on, i want to be careful with money but it seems like i've done well out of the system :biggrin:

Well if you have 3,500 left after accommodation, then if you're there for 40 weeks which i think is about the maximum any undergrad is, then that's £87 a week ! plus you get your extra nhs grant !
Reply 83
Haha sounds like i've been quite lucky. I am doing a medical degree so it would be for five years which does mean i will have a lot to pay back in terms of fees but i'm not really thinking about that at the moment, just going to try and have the best time i can while i'm there :smile:
This year (first year) I budgeted £50 a week and went under that most weeks tbh, my rent was about the same as my loan so that mostly came from money I'd saved before & my parents gave me £100 each full month I was at uni. Next year I'll budget around £30 - £40 a week, which has to include a ~£10 weekly bus pass (just from savings and parents- my rent costs £100 more then my loan :/ ) hopefully I can get a job at some point otherwise I dunno what I'll do third year, be a hermit and live off super noodles I guess! :p:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 85
In my first year after taking away accommodation (the very very cheapest halls at my uni) from my loan I had -£600...
Reply 86
About 50 per week, not counting phone bill

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Am I the only one (being a mature) student that doesn't have to find accommodation? I get my loans and grants and dsa as I'm a disabled student but it's all for uni books and travel. I live with my partner and two kids and I'm very thankfully we live in an area where rent is cheap and my partner is covering all the household bills so I can concentrate on uni. So I guess I have it all left over to spread over the weeks for coffee, toll bridge, petrol and books
Reply 88
Original post by lolly_lou
Am I the only one (being a mature) student that doesn't have to find accommodation? I get my loans and grants and dsa as I'm a disabled student but it's all for uni books and travel. I live with my partner and two kids and I'm very thankfully we live in an area where rent is cheap and my partner is covering all the household bills so I can concentrate on uni. So I guess I have it all left over to spread over the weeks for coffee, toll bridge, petrol and books

I reckon quite a few people will be living at home and commuting to uni as the price of everything increases. Although that isn't an option for me. My nearest uni is 30 miles away and it doesn't do my course.

I didn't think that you got maintenance loans and grants if you live at home !?!?!
Reply 89
taking away my accommodation I have -£100 a month yep. FML. From looks of it most of you guys are the same. :/ Aside from finding a job, does anybody have any tips for making money?

My parents don't even earn that much my mum about £20,000 and my step get get a pension and has a little income from a few flats he owns, but for some reason i only get £5000 a year and I'm not entitled to a single grant or bursary :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
If I had no savings etc I'd be ****ed. I worked from 18-21 to make sure I could afford to go to uni, and its a good thing I didn't just rely on my parents because my mums been made redundant and so wouldn't be able to give me cash anyway.

I get like 5500 loan and something stupid like 165 grant, which barely covers my accommodation. I sold my car at the end of first year for ~4k, so I've got 2k each year to live off without dipping into my proper savings, which is £50/week, top that up with the money I'll earn over summer and it'll be ~£100/week to live on.
Reply 91
They've taken my partners income into consideration and I still get full loans/grants as he's under the 25k threshold and I didn't work last year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
I'm staying on the bank at the NHS Trust where I currently work, and factoring in bursary, loan and maintenance grant, plus on the basis of doing three shifts at the hospital next to the university, I'll probably have about £1400 a month. But I've only saved up enough to pay the first instalment of my catered accommodation so I'll have to save while I'm there for accommodation instalments 2 and 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not easy, I been working my ass off. Just to get enough to cover myself, as my loan doesn't come near to covering my accommodation. Seeing as am only get the basic 3575. I would be sunk, if I just had that to get by, don't think it even would cover the cheapest halls at my uni. Good job I been preparing well in advance, by saving over half my salary each month from my full time job. So that am in the position to pay my accommodation upfront and get into the nicer halls. But it's taken a lot of work and cutting back to make it possible. Am now in position where I may not need my loan this year, as I hopefully will be in position to support myself in my first year. Just means I have the money for future years. Am hoping that won't need to work during terms times. Just the summer holidays. So that am able to focus on studies and having fun.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've supported myself for the last 3 years earning less than £7000, so I'm waiting to see what I'm eligible for. I don't live with my parents and haven't during that time. But hey, we'll see what they say.... :/
Reply 95
I tried to limit it to no more than £50 per week in the last term, with around £35 per week on food shopping etc.

Thought I'd add I receive the basic loan and my parents paid for my accommodation.
Reply 96
Good for you. I will receive little support from my parents and thus I will have to get a job :wink: No maintenance loans for EU students unfortunately. :\
Roughly have £70 a week after accommodation (I got the cheapest accommodation at around £83 a week!). £20 will go to food, £25 will go to savings and the remainder will either go on savings or luxuries. :smile:
Reply 98
Bugger all, by the declaration student finance have sent me! Thankfully my partner is giving me an allowance and I'll try and get an allowance of my dad too :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 99
I'll be living off £150-£180 per week as I qualify for maximum student finance grants and loans, and a £3000 bursary from Durham that goes towards accommodation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending