The Student Room Group

FSMQ(Additional Maths) 5th June 2013

:wink: Hey people, Just wondering who else is entered for the OCR Free Standing Maths Qualification(Advanced Level) on the coming Wednesday (5th of June). I am feeling a bit anxious as i had other exams to focus on. Still got 2 chapters to Learn....:mad:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yep, I'm taking this exam. This calculus stuff is pretty interesting... but quite a lot of the other stuff is horrendous. You only need about 70% to get an A though, so it's not that bad :P
Do you guys have any idea of what topics are likely to come up. Differentiation, integration, etc obviously will come up but any ideas?
Original post by marie farie
Do you guys have any idea of what topics are likely to come up. Differentiation, integration, etc obviously will come up but any ideas?

Trig Identities, binomial expansion/distribution, 3D trigonometry - these always come up in some form.
Reply 4

Original post by farie

If you have a look at past papers it's pretty clear that all topics come up in some shape or form... ignoring the 2012 paper, it seems that binomial distribution always seems to pop up near to the end of the paper too, and variable acceleration calculations
Reply 5
I hope linear programming doesn't come up. I never understood it completely:frown:
Reply 6
I am entered for this exam too. I've covered the content, but I am scared of how the wording of the question may confuse me. Seeing the 2012 paper, I fear this years paper will be harder than we are all expecting it to be.
Reply 7
Original post by bossun
I hope linear programming doesn't come up. I never understood it completely:frown:

What is linear programming ??:confused:
Reply 8
Hi does anyone have any tips on how to learn ll this stuff quickly? I've got the revision guide but my class has only had about 20 hrs this yr with a teacher and we never understood it :/ what are the hardest things to learn so I can learn those first?
Reply 9
I got an A in GCSE Maths last year, but I've really found FSMQ difficult this year, so I've decided not to revise as I don't see it making any difference. I'd be happy to get a D. However, I'm beginning to regret this as I'm doing Physics and Computing at AS-Level. How much of the stuff in FSMQ comes into these two subjects at AS/A-Level?
Original post by 'Lisha
Hi does anyone have any tips on how to learn ll this stuff quickly? I've got the revision guide but my class has only had about 20 hrs this yr with a teacher and we never understood it :/ what are the hardest things to learn so I can learn those first?

Hey, since you have such a short time to revise I would recommend you use youtube - "maths solution" and "m4ths" are good maths channels to subscribe to.
Revise things such as binomial expansion/distribution, integration,differentiation, SUVAT, 3D trigonometry, remainder/factor theorem and linear programming - sorry, can't remember the other stuff! Good luck:smile:
I'm doing it too but I'm just treating it as a "relaxing" exam as I have english the day before, which is much more important! We haven't been told to take it seriously, but it would be nice to get a good grade in it...still, I won't stress if it goes badly :smile:
I'm taking this exam, along with Philosophy and Latin GCSE exams ON THE SAME DAY :frown: :eek: Three exams in one day! Kill me!
I'm taking it to, and i am definitely not ready for it, if i do bad, like U bad, will that affect me somehow in the future because im doing further maths at a level, and i admit I've hardly worked this year for maths, so if i get a good mark next year in further maths a level, will it kind of 'cover up' the u in additional maths gcse?
Reply 14
Original post by dynomit999
I'm taking it to, and i am definitely not ready for it, if i do bad, like U bad, will that affect me somehow in the future because im doing further maths at a level, and i admit I've hardly worked this year for maths, so if i get a good mark next year in further maths a level, will it kind of 'cover up' the u in additional maths gcse?

It is a challenging syllabus and people sometimes do poorly because of lack of teaching time and/or revision focus on more important core GCSE subjects. A good FM A level result would certainly compensate for a poor Add Maths result in Year 11. Still, if you get a U in Add Maths you need to look long and hard about what you'll do differently to succeed with your Further Maths A level choice.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by gdunne42
It is a challenging syllabus and people sometimes do poorly because of lack of teaching time and/or revision focus on more important core GCSE subjects. A good FM A level result would certainly compensate for a poor Add Maths result in Year 11. Still, if you get a U in Add Maths you need to look long and hard about what you'll do differently to succeed with your Further Maths A level choice.

Its just at gcse there's a lot of other subject were doing paralel to further maths, and after doing gcse maths, obviously I'd rather concentrate on the rest of my exams, which maked additional maths harder to concentrate, but at alevel Ill have less subjects so ill be oradd maths
I am rather confused with the linear programming, could someone possibly explain it to me?!?
I don't understand it either!!! Hope it won't come tomorrow!
Reply 18
errm so I am doing this tomorrow too and have also never heard of linear programming - I'm going to google it though and if I find out I'll let you know!
Reply 19
sadly i have this exam along with another exam in the morning but i hope it's no too hard and mymaths is useful :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending