The Student Room Group

Edexcel History Unit 3 A2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by OOjuniperberry
I did International Relations! Part B was great.. which Part A did you do? I did the defensive/offensive alliance question.. not exactly what I was hoping for but it wasn't TOO bad.

I did the part B about ww2. Cant say it was an easy paper conpared to the years before (and i dont care if that shows that im incapable lool). I dont know man i just criticised two sources and supported one source in order to reach a judgement. Am i going to lose marks? Does that mean that my answer got unbalanced. I think I aced part A though.
First said that bismark wanted a denfensice alliance against france but that failed. But in was defensive in theory here

franco-russian alliance threatened germnay so lead to schlieffen plan. Again defensive in theory.

Austria pursued an adventurous policy in balkans- offensive +russia became offensive towards austria after 1909

German weltpolitik- wanted to risk war could not do it in isolation- A and It helped - offensive in practise

Britain saw germany as a threat towards its empire and naval supremacy- triple entente- defensive here

Conclusion- offensive on the part of ger. and aus.
Denfesive on the part of britain
Not too bad right?
What did you say?
Amyone do PCE and the end of the Cold War?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sonwusiri95
omg I did the same paper! i did peaceful coexistence and the end of the cold war. the sources were so weird and confusing. what did you put for the peaceful coexistence question pls? What did they mean end the cold war? I was so confused but just answerred it as if they asked why did peaceful coexistence fail.. i hope we did well!:biggrin:

Sorry, about late reply, computer messed up :colondollar:

And :smile: a fellow cold war person

Yeah I found the sources a little weird but I did the best I could do, I mean we were only given a 4 year time period, which i thought was a little weird.

Anyway for the peaceful coexistence I interpreted it as what what were the factors that caused peaceful coexistence to fail. So i talked about Eisenhower New Look, Third World, Unwillingness to negotiate and all then I said how these resulted in the cold war not ending in the time period they said. Then i concluded by saying which i thought was the most important factor (Dunno if it was necessary to do that) but i was glad the question was just the failures I had no clue about successes :tongue:
Original post by Smarticus
Amyone do PCE and the end of the Cold War?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, but i did do PCE. How you find it?
Reply 24
yeahh i did both
PCE was a causes question though?!
Reply 25
how did you think the sources went? it was so confusing for me! and what points do you recall making please

For PCE it was a causes question
on one side you could argue that peaceful co-existence was never intended to end the cold war, just to ease tensions. You could say about al the summits like Geneva e.t.c and Eisenhower's new look policy + Khruschev and Malenkov's desire not to follow Stalin.

Causes for failure:
Tension of arms race- economies tied up e.t.c
Nuclear capability- by 55 both sides have H bomb e.t.c
Neither side were fully commited to the end of the war
e.g. Khruschev was so persistent about PCE yet in NOV 58 he released an ultimatum, Eisenhower-by declining- was willing to risk nuclear war rather than peace, when Khruschev confronted Eisenhower about the U2 spy planes, Eisenhower still persisted and refused to stop using them instead of stopping it

For the sources, end of cold war was interesting. They were a bit $£@$£ but still...

tons of own knowledge to use there too like Evil Empire, SDI, Glasnost & Perestroika, Geneva 1985, Reykjavik 1986, INF and START 1, 1989 revolutions, Sinatra Doctrine, Malta 1989:smile:
Original post by Gorganite
No, but i did do PCE. How you find it?

Well for the PCE. I thought it was alright but I was pushed for time and I was sad it only stopped at 61 and not 62 for the Cuban Missile crisis :frown: I wrote about increasing international conflict so NATO/Warsaw Pact, East Berlin incident with Walter Ulbrict, Korea, Hungarian rising, the Vienna summit that consequently led to the Berlin Wall being erected. Then I talked about increasing arms so how US had 200+ atomic Bombs that in 1955 increased to 2,422, New look (massive retaliation, use of CIA (bay of pigs incident 61), brinkmanship and how it was an aggressive policy and the increase in the red army and MAD. I also talked about the other side like Austrian state treaty, the soviet withdrawal from Finland, how PC increased soviet industrial production by 1.949% so it was beneficial in sustaining good relations, the good media image that was perceived and summit diplomacy (geneva). Then I did mention briefly about stalin's death, malenkov and Khrushchev.

How did you find Section B?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well for the PCE. I thought it was alright but I was pushed for time and I was sad it only stopped at 61 and not 62 for the Cuban Missile crisis :frown: I wrote about increasing international conflict so NATO/Warsaw Pact, East Berlin incident with Walter Ulbrict, Korea, Hungarian rising, the Vienna summit that consequently led to the Berlin Wall being erected. Then I talked about increasing arms so how US had 200+ atomic Bombs that in 1955 increased to 2,422, New look (massive retaliation, use of CIA (bay of pigs incident 61), brinkmanship and how it was an aggressive policy and the increase in the red army and MAD. I also talked about the other side like Austrian state treaty, the soviet withdrawal from Finland, how PC increased soviet industrial production by 1.949% so it was beneficial in sustaining good relations, the good media image that was perceived and summit diplomacy (geneva). Then I did mention briefly about stalin's death, malenkov and Khrushchev.

How did you find Section B?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think you needed to talk about the positives of it. It was specifically asking why it failed. My teacher said that was what it was. But I dunno

I did mostly the same but didn't do the events in Europe as in Hungary. But I did Berlin
I don't think you needed to talk about the positives of it. It was specifically asking why it failed. My teacher said that was what it was. But I dunno

I did mostly the same but didn't do the events in Europe as in Hungary. But I did Berlin

Well I did it just incase and what about section B I did the end of the Cold War

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I did it just incase and what about section B I did the end of the Cold War

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did the origins one. Sources were alright but they said so many knowledge it was hard to include any. But it was obvious what they were asking about I guess.

I dunno :biggrin:

How did yours go
I did the origins one. Sources were alright but they said so many knowledge it was hard to include any. But it was obvious what they were asking about I guess.

I dunno :biggrin:

How did yours go

What was the factor? The end of the Cold War was good I guess the sources did have three/four factors you could clearly argue e.g. Reagan (carter+ neo-conservatism), soviet internal problems and technological backwardness, satellite problems and Gorbachev. I argued that Reaganomics and military pressure underpinned all other factors. The sources were easy to compare, the first source was a bit awkward and the info they really gave was Brezhnev doctrine, INF treaty and SDI. So there was plenty to talk about especially people power, the policies of new economic thinking, soviet inability to compete with nuclear parity and a rival system of SDI. It was good that they added carter so you could add some detente knowledge as well and there was some points you could disagree on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry, about late reply, computer messed up :colondollar:

And :smile: a fellow cold war person

Yeah I found the sources a little weird but I did the best I could do, I mean we were only given a 4 year time period, which i thought was a little weird.

Anyway for the peaceful coexistence I interpreted it as what what were the factors that caused peaceful coexistence to fail. So i talked about Eisenhower New Look, Third World, Unwillingness to negotiate and all then I said how these resulted in the cold war not ending in the time period they said. Then i concluded by saying which i thought was the most important factor (Dunno if it was necessary to do that) but i was glad the question was just the failures I had no clue about successes :tongue:

ok thanks you've made me feel a bit better! sorry about all the questions but around how much did you write for both parts? what grade didd you get last year and what are u predicted??:redface:
ok thanks you've made me feel a bit better! sorry about all the questions but around how much did you write for both parts? what grade didd you get last year and what are u predicted??:redface:

Well I'm glad to help that's what matters doesn't matter how many questions you ask :biggrin:
Ummm I wrote about 4 pages for Section A and i think 5-6 pages for Section B. Not too sure though for Section B but it was definitely more than A.

But last year I got a B in my exam.
This year I got an A in my coursework, and I am predicted an A. Although my teacher was like I think you can get an A* and I'm like uhh... no I cant :colondollar:

What about you, what are your grades like, if you don't mind me asking :colone:
Well I'm glad to help that's what matters doesn't matter how many questions you ask :biggrin:
Ummm I wrote about 4 pages for Section A and i think 5-6 pages for Section B. Not too sure though for Section B but it was definitely more than A.

But last year I got a B in my exam.
This year I got an A in my coursework, and I am predicted an A. Although my teacher was like I think you can get an A* and I'm like uhh... no I cant :colondollar:

What about you, what are your grades like, if you don't mind me asking :colone:

thats so good! I got a B and C last year but it totalled to a C. I got 30/50 for my coursework which is D and God forbid but i really think i flopped this exam. Im predicted a B and need at least a C to get into my uni. I keep check mark schemes and grade boundaries to see around what I got and God forbid but its looking like a D overall, ive beenso uppset since the exam and im reallly just hoping im just exaggerating or my coursework gets moderated higher! You probally will get the A*!!

I need at least 37/70 for a C
Ive had really bad experiences with edexcel in my other subjects. last yr i was with aqa for history so i dont know know about edexcel marking system but they seem so harsh. would u say they're lenient with marking? pleasee be honest and dont say yes just to make me feel better:colondollar: thanks for all your help and good luck on your other examsss:biggrin:
What do you reckon the grade boundaries might be like this year?

It's like for:

A*- 53
A- 47
B-43

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you reckon the grade boundaries might be like this year?

It's like for:

A*- 53
A- 47
B-43

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would they really be that low?
I mean that means you could lose over 20 marks to get a B
thats so good! I got a B and C last year but it totalled to a C. I got 30/50 for my coursework which is D and God forbid but i really think i flopped this exam. Im predicted a B and need at least a C to get into my uni. I keep check mark schemes and grade boundaries to see around what I got and God forbid but its looking like a D overall, ive beenso uppset since the exam and im reallly just hoping im just exaggerating or my coursework gets moderated higher! You probally will get the A*!!

I need at least 37/70 for a C
Ive had really bad experiences with edexcel in my other subjects. last yr i was with aqa for history so i dont know know about edexcel marking system but they seem so harsh. would u say they're lenient with marking? pleasee be honest and dont say yes just to make me feel better:colondollar: thanks for all your help and good luck on your other examsss:biggrin:

What are the grade boundaries like for the past exams? And the mark schemes i thought were really vague and don't really help. And I don't think I can get an A* I would have to have done really well in this exam. You might have done better in your exam than you think, I mean you did know what you were writing right.

How did you change your exam board anyway. And ummm for me edexcel are fine, really in the past I have never had anything wrong with them. I have them for RE as well and like any other exam board they can be really good or bad. But for this year and including AS as well edexcel do seem to be good this year.

So really, they are not bad really I actually prefer edexcel to OCR

Hope that helped :smile:
If not message me again
Would they really be that low?
I mean that means you could lose over 20 marks to get a B

Yeah, I was shocked too but if you check the last grade boundaries for this exam you can see this.

I'm just hoping I get an A this year I was cheated last year, I thought the questions were really good too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I was shocked too but if you check the last grade boundaries for this exam you can see this.

I'm just hoping I get an A this year I was cheated last year, I thought the questions were really good too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that means that it would be possible to get an A for a lot of people. Although maybe the grade boundaries are low because the paper is quite difficult?
Yeah that means that it would be possible to get an A for a lot of people. Although maybe the grade boundaries are low because the paper is quite difficult?

I personally don't find it a really difficult paper but there is an element of difficulty because you have to differentiate between each topic but I see it also as a positive because you can utilise knowledge into other topics like nuclear arms race which spans nearly all through the topics. Also I think because of time I really feel that to properly do a good job we should be given 10 more minutes because section B requires a lot if skill and time to do a good job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending