The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Finance recruiting market in the uk

Hello Guys
I am an international prospective student to study master's in finance course in the uk this year. I have offers for both finance and general management courses at prominent schools in the uk. Though I hv inclination for finance i am not able to decide between the two courses looking at the job scenario. And with the recent visa changes how transparent recruitment is when it comes for eu nationals n non eu. I hv contacted British council regarding this and they hv denied the claims and said the internationals get fair opportunity but I still doubt hence wanted to confirm with your experiences.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Hey that was a really nice thread, though a bit harsh but then v true indeed. I am kinda scared now. I apparently belong to India as well and quite ****ed up with the system. I am an engineer from Delhi and wanted to work in London with an investment bank. I understand why were British council guys encouraging me to go ahead and I couldn't find much useful master's courses in finance in the US too. May be the last year gave Cameroon a panic attack when no. incoming indian guys fell considerably. I am in full knowledge of all the difficulties and I am v happy that my university (Cass business school) put a true picture about the current job scenario there in there seminar. Although I am in no mood to get settled there but my fiance is an indian brit and wanted to get a job there to spend a few years. I hv worked v hard to come this far..all that gmat toefl ****s university transcripts and not to forget that 35k £ loan.

I can understand the need for the visa changes as locals find it v hard to get work in their own country and its true indians are better in studies and at work too. From your posts it seems its useless to even think about employment regardless of your background your scores your master's degree or the reputation of the university. I understand that the uk officials british council guys magazine articles might be lying about the impact of visa restrictions and other stuff to cover damage due to less students. I was torn between the choices of universities and courses but now this brings up another issue. Thanks mate. If you still feel you hv more info which might be helpful to my case then please do share.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
That too isn't possible mate on a student visa..haha..I won't get the marriage certificate. But I just don't want her to feel either that I need her for the visa. I hv read every bit of Cameron thing and his answers with no substantial point except for selling another few millitary equipments to indian govt. Haha .. anyways I had options to go to other eu countries but chose uk just for my fiance and language issues that other countries have. Its v difficult indeed. I hv seen purely dummy students from india going into ucl, oxbridge where uk nationals dream of going. I dunno how people manage to study with all that stress of getting a job. The answers i got at british couuncil when asked them that policies werent changed in other recession hit countries then why uk, were indians really misused the previous policy and continued with their part time useless unskilled jobs that one thing I hate most about indians that they can do anywork for you for the price you can offer. I still don't get from an employer's point of view that if he gets a more potent candidate irrespective of his nationality why would he find it difficult to recruit him over a local. And one more thing if you see the profiles of most of the schools 80% approx are international students and a major chunk are Asians. That means say only 20% locals are available to get employed and I am sure a small percentage would be incompetent to get a job then how is that system working from 2010 if say 50-60% students are asians at prominent universities and say 40% is going back. That would be too humiliating for the next batch to think about the uk. On the other hand there's new Zealand that's offering permanent residency for students haha.. seems like a circus in a supermarket with end of season sale.
Reply 3
Ok I'll come straight to the point. I had 2 doubts basically. First is from an employer's point of view why would an employer be interested in the nationality of the candidate for a job. I mean he means business and wants the best guys to get his job done? If an international student has to be 10 times better than a local would that mean all employers feel that locals are better at work.

The other point was if you look at the batch profiles of most of the uk universities they would appear similar like 80% international students or even more. So that would mean only close to 20% or fewer available for the vacancies. And major chunk of international students are Asians that actually forms close to 50 or even 60% of international students. So say 10% got jobs or 20 as its v difficult despite you belong to an excellent university excellent grades etc. So that would mean close to 40% students going back home. If that is the case it would be too humiliating for the next batch of students to think about studying in uk. British council guys keep shouting that visa restrictions have nothing to do with job its just to prevent the student visa abuse. I couldn't get how's all this working
Reply 4
In the 5th line of 2nd para I mean 20% locals available for jobs. :smile: typo
Reply 5
I always love the politics and diplomacy involved in various things only if I am not on the suffering side. Cameron has to face elections in 2015. He has to do something about the failed economy as most of UK's products are going waste cz most of eu nations hv lost their purchasing power and only flag bearers for eu are France and Germany. I hope Southall votes against him. I am feeling blue now.
Reply 6
Im sorry to hijack this thread guys, but I think my question is a bit related to the topic being discussed here.

If I have Spanish nationality, but havent lived in Spain for years, am I still able to stay in the UK for as long as I want ?
Reply 7
Yep as long as you hold a Spanish passport
Reply 8
Original post by sid007
Yep as long as you hold a Spanish passport

Thanks for answering, I aprecciate it.
Reply 9
Original post by sid007

I can understand the need for the visa changes as locals find it v hard to get work in their own country and its true indians are better in studies and at work too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why would you want to come to a country that you look down upon their citizens:confused::s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending