The Student Room Group

First Year University Re-sits

In first year at university, just sat all my end of year exams and think i have completely failed them ! my attendance throughout the year was pretty poor. there is a total of 6 modules, i have already passed 2 modules, but the other 4 modules were the exams i have just sat, do universities generally allow students to re-sit their exams ? or would it be likely that i'll be given the option to re-sit the whole year ? or even worse, kicked out of uni ?

Thanks
Depends on your uni, talk to an advisor
The approach at Lancaster (in my 2nd year now) is that you can re-sit in the summer if you fall below the pass-rate (D-/40%/9 out of 24 by their system), but whatever mark you get will be capped at 40%. So if I failed, then re-sat and got 75% (i.e. a 1st), I'd be capped and given a mark of 9r (r - resit). You generally won't be permitted to re-sit the entire year unless you had serious circumstances limiting you, by which I don't mean doing what most freshers do and drink themselves into a coma every week :P.

The good thing is it doesn't matter in first year at least; it's next year and the year after that you'll have to start panicking!
Reply 3
I'm in first year too and really worried about exam results. But I'm pretty sure, all uni's allow resist, which usually take place august time and you get your results back pretty quickly. But as someone already said they'll be capped at just the pass rate, so even if you get 100%, because its a resit your overall grade will be 40%
Reply 4
You'll be most likely fine, It's pretty much standard for universities to offer resits if you fail a few modules and if you fail a lot of modules they might make you retake the year. Resits are generally are capped at 40% and don't take coursework into account.

Talk to your tutor. Make sure to mention if you have any mitigating circumstances such as trouble at home or medical problems that prevented you from doing as well.

Without knowing what university you're from or what course, it's not possible to say exactly what would happen. I suggest you look up your universities policies on this subject to find out exactly what possibilities there are if you fail anything.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
At my university first year does count for 10% of your degree. Like others have said it very unlikely that you won't have the opportunity to re-sit in August. Your re-sit marks are capped at 40% and you are only allowed to re-sit if you get below 40%, so unlike A-levels you can't just resit to get a better grade, which personally I think is a good thing as it forces/scares you into working for your exams the first time around :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending