The Student Room Group

Biomedical science or medicine?

Pros and cons of each course? Like in terms of jobs, the difficulty and which seems to be having a higher demand in today's world?

I was originally keen to do medicine, but I discovered I am very squeamish, scared of blood, and yet if I can be a doctor, I would want to work in A&E. :angry:

Biomedical science seems to fit with my interest perfectly well. But what I have been told, is that it is not such a higher demand in the jobs market as a researcher compared to being a doctor.:frown:

So, your thoughts?
Reply 1
Original post by have_faith010309
Pros and cons of each course? Like in terms of jobs, the difficulty and which seems to be having a higher demand in today's world?

I was originally keen to do medicine, but I discovered I am very squeamish, scared of blood, and yet if I can be a doctor, I would want to work in A&E. :angry:

Biomedical science seems to fit with my interest perfectly well. But what I have been told, is that it is not such a higher demand in the jobs market as a researcher compared to being a doctor.:frown:

So, your thoughts?

biomedical science doesn't set you up for a particular speciality, it is a pretty broad course. There are many science based research jobs and you just need to pick an area to specialize in.
From your post I got the impression that you want a research job?
The main areas of specialization are: biochemistry, haematology, immunology, microbiology, histology, cytology, bacteriology and transfusion services.
Original post by mrronoah
biomedical science doesn't set you up for a particular speciality, it is a pretty broad course. There are many science based research jobs and you just need to pick an area to specialize in.
From your post I got the impression that you want a research job?
The main areas of specialization are: biochemistry, haematology, immunology, microbiology, histology, cytology, bacteriology and transfusion services.

A research job will do for a person like me. And because of that, my parents think that it might be best to go for something a bit more challenging which may be out of my comfort zone a little. So yeah they said that doctors, engineers and such are a lot more needed professions nowadays.

Immunology and transfusion services sound good. Might want to do a master's degree in transfusion science after bachelor degree. Are you a biomed student?
Reply 3
No, i'm not. Maybe soon though. Many people who go on to do medical research do a medical degree first. If the problem is the squeemishness just remember that a lot of people grow out of that. But if you were to do medical school first you could then decide which (being a doctor or doing research) you wanted to do.
Reply 4

So, your thoughts?

Hey, I am going to study biomedical science this summer..!! And I can tell you that was me second option. Job for biomedical is not that bad, you will always need people in NHS and stuff like that.

As for being squeamish, don't worry I know my mother was squeamish once when she was learning to be a doctor, she told me she passed out every single time she saw blood for the first year. If it is what you want to do you will overcome it without noticing it. Some people will grow out of it like the previous post said, and if you choose to do biomedical science, you can do postgrad medicine.!!

And another suggestion: if you are thinking of being a doctor, you must already be getting good grades... So why not try to be a dentist...?!
In some sense you are still a doctor and not too much blood.?
Original post by Tlukt3
Hey, I am going to study biomedical science this summer..!! And I can tell you that was me second option. Job for biomedical is not that bad, you will always need people in NHS and stuff like that.

As for being squeamish, don't worry I know my mother was squeamish once when she was learning to be a doctor, she told me she passed out every single time she saw blood for the first year. If it is what you want to do you will overcome it without noticing it. Some people will grow out of it like the previous post said, and if you choose to do biomedical science, you can do postgrad medicine.!!

And another suggestion: if you are thinking of being a doctor, you must already be getting good grades... So why not try to be a dentist...?!
In some sense you are still a doctor and not too much blood.?

Brilliant! Let me know how it is going when you've started okay. Will be interesting to know how you'll be doing!!

Erm yeah kind of good grades. Although I like to aim for perfection. I want A*s. Like really, I don't want them any lower. :s-smilie:

Dentistry isn't really what I'm looking for because I don't like the idea of looking at people's teeth :biggrin: Haha. Yeah I am ridiculously picky when it comes to picking my options.

Like another option is to do psychology. Quite a good idea although I am easily touched so if someone comes and tell me they've got a psychological breakdown or something that might be a problem :rolleyes:

But yeah, my interests revolve around this molecular stuff, human body and biological stuff like that. So dentistry isn't really something I'm interested in.

What did you do for your A-levels?
Original post by mrronoah
No, i'm not. Maybe soon though. Many people who go on to do medical research do a medical degree first. If the problem is the squeemishness just remember that a lot of people grow out of that. But if you were to do medical school first you could then decide which (being a doctor or doing research) you wanted to do.

Oh okay. Thank you :redface: What are you currently doing?
By the way guys I'm also worried that medicine might be too difficult. A lot of people that I know who took medicine have failed at least once during their five years. And yet they all have at least four human brains :erm::erm::eyeball:
Reply 8
Brilliant! Let me know how it is going when you've started okay. Will be interesting to know how you'll be doing!!

Erm yeah kind of good grades. Although I like to aim for perfection. I want A*s. Like really, I don't want them any lower. :s-smilie:

Dentistry isn't really what I'm looking for because I don't like the idea of looking at people's teeth :biggrin: Haha. Yeah I am ridiculously picky when it comes to picking my options.

Like another option is to do psychology. Quite a good idea although I am easily touched so if someone comes and tell me they've got a psychological breakdown or something that might be a problem :rolleyes:

But yeah, my interests revolve around this molecular stuff, human body and biological stuff like that. So dentistry isn't really something I'm interested in.

What did you do for your A-levels?

Picky is what you have to be! You don't want to spend all the time and money doing a degree you don't have much interest in.!
I will say this though, any career you would like to be, try it. Don't just go to open days at unis go to an hospital for example and ask at the human recourses if you can do a volunteer work at lab...it will take time but they are more likely to say yes than no.!
this is for biomedical science..!

I'm doing biology, chemistry, business studies and applied science.
what about you.?
Original post by Tlukt3
Picky is what you have to be! You don't want to spend all the time and money doing a degree you don't have much interest in.!
I will say this though, any career you would like to be, try it. Don't just go to open days at unis go to an hospital for example and ask at the human recourses if you can do a volunteer work at lab...it will take time but they are more likely to say yes than no.!
this is for biomedical science..!

I'm doing biology, chemistry, business studies and applied science.
what about you.?

My career pathway is a bit different :rolleyes:

Finishing my GCSE soon, but going to Malaysia and the way the system is there is that I need to do a foundation degree for pre-University (which is A-level). Which is why I need to decide what degree I need to study now.

So, I will be doing the foundation degree programme there - Allied Health Sciences Foundation which is the foundation degree for biomedical science..

If I were to do medicine for a degree, then I would be doing medicine foundation degree. But it seems that that's not what I'm going to do.. (probably)

My plan after that is to do a Masters degree at Harvard Uni. Then work in Barcelona. Then come back to England for work. Then do a PhD in Germany.

I hope my career plan goes well. I really do. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending