The Student Room Group

Lloyds Scholarship Programme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Out of interest, is it purely the money which is making people apply? I'm not sure if I will. I'm going to be studying Law, and a big thing is to consider that doing a ten week internship at Lloyds during second year can be a big hassle, if you're trying to get into law, since second year is when you would hopefully be doing a vacation scheme. I guess it's the same for investment banks, also. Obviously, all this is quite far off, but if you've done this second year internship at Lloyds then it does reduces your chances at other firms which I'm sure they're aware of, hence why they make it compulsory in second year.

I don't know what other universities's bursuaries are like,, but all loans considered at Warwick, if you're under the £25k mark, you'll be getting about £9700 in loans, I find it quite insane that someone can be on almost £13000 if they also get the Lloyds scholarship, hence why I don't think money is a good enough reason to entice me!
Reply 61
I thought this scheme is available for all whose family income is below 25k? I don't see why I'm not getting a email for the numeray test like everyone else - I should ace that fairly easily if they gives me the chance LMFAO !
Btw I applied on Monday morning and did provide all the details needed 😂 guess I might be the first to have failed the first step

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by James941
Out of interest, is it purely the money which is making people apply? I'm not sure if I will. I'm going to be studying Law, and a big thing is to consider that doing a ten week internship at Lloyds during second year can be a big hassle, if you're trying to get into law, since second year is when you would hopefully be doing a vacation scheme. I guess it's the same for investment banks, also. Obviously, all this is quite far off, but if you've done this second year internship at Lloyds then it does reduces your chances at other firms which I'm sure they're aware of, hence why they make it compulsory in second year.

I don't know what other universities's bursuaries are like,, but all loans considered at Warwick, if you're under the £25k mark, you'll be getting about £9700 in loans, I find it quite insane that someone can be on almost £13000 if they also get the Lloyds scholarship, hence why I don't think money is a good enough reason to entice me!

Is this less the case with a 4 year course?

I dont understand what you mean in the 2nd paragraph, are you saying its not enough money?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Original post by NiceToMeetYou
Is this less the case with a 4 year course?

For a four year course, I don't think my point would really stand! Since you cannot do the investment banking internships until penultimate year. (seen that you're Maths so taking a wild guess)

Original post by printergirl
I dont understand what you mean in the 2nd paragraph, are you saying its not enough money?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm saying that if you're under the £25k bracket, you're not going to be struggling financially. So, you shouldn't be swayed by the money, when you're already awarded generous loans and bursaries. Obviously it depends on the uni, but I know that at Warwick, you get £2500 for being under £25k. Just saying, that the biggest factor should be whether you think you'd find working out Lloyds interesting.
For a four year course, I don't think my point would really stand! Since you cannot do the investment banking internships until penultimate year. (seen that you're Maths so taking a wild guess)

Yeah, I'm doing maths haha
If I'm honest, don't even fancy banking , not sure exactly what I want to do though
The reason I'm going for this is because I need volunteering for my DofE award, it seems it's all arranged for you, so will make life so much easier!
Not fussed about how much it pays, if somehow I managed to get it, any money obtained, I would just save.
Reply 66

I'm saying that if you're under the £25k bracket, you're not going to be struggling financially. So, you shouldn't be swayed by the money, when you're already awarded generous loans and bursaries. Obviously it depends on the uni, but I know that at Warwick, you get £2500 for being under £25k. Just saying, that the biggest factor should be whether you think you'd find working out Lloyds interesting.

I totally disagree with you there! When we talk about <£25k, that's based on the entire family not a single person - what you just said there could imply that families earning over £25k ARE going to be struggling financially - you got it all wrong in your head 😅🔫

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Original post by karchun
I totally disagree with you there! When we talk about <£25k, that's based on the entire family not a single person - what you just said there could imply that families earning over £25k ARE going to be struggling financially - you got it all wrong in your head ������������

Posted from TSR Mobile

What on earth on you going on about?

Imagine this scenario

Student A has parent earning a salary of 23k

Get in total from Warwick and SF £9600+

Student B has parents earning 36k

Gets in total £6700+ from Warwick.

Obviously I'm just referring to the actual student. All students at the same university face similar costs, so household income encompassing the whole family is irrelevant. Clearly, the latter family may be better off, but during term time, roles are likely to be reversed..

Who is going to have more money at university? £35k isn't even that much after tax if made by two people. Therefore don't be under the illusion that person B will be lavished with hands out by their parents. 18k x 2 =36k which is a pretty modest household income.

The squeezed middle is not a myth..
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by Bobilina
Ouchers, probably my worst 2 subjects haha! Maths :smile:

Yuck, maths...! :wink: I know a girl going to do maths at Edinburgh actually :smile:
Reply 69
Original post by karchun
I totally disagree with you there! When we talk about <£25k, that's based on the entire family not a single person - what you just said there could imply that families earning over £25k ARE going to be struggling financially - you got it all wrong in your head 😅🔫

Posted from TSR Mobile

But there are families earning over 25k that are struggling, what if the family income is 26k and they have 10 mouths to feed, cloth and cater for?
Reply 70
Original post by sarzed
Yuck, maths...! :wink: I know a girl going to do maths at Edinburgh actually :smile:

Really? I've struggled to find any girls, i've found about 1-2 i think! So that's good to hear :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by sonukid94
I dont understand the paying system. Do you get paid £18000 after the 10 week program?

No it's a pro-rated £18,000 salary, meaning for the 10 weeks in which you work, you'll be earning the same amount per week as if you had a £18 grand salary per year. So, basically you'll be paid £350 p/week for the 10 weeks up to a total of £3500.

Just finished my numeracy test, found it a harder than the example ones, and sorta rushed it towards the end from Q14 onwards.. reckon I got about 12 or 13. Hopefully that's fine!
UPDATE: 1 hour later - got the email saying I'm through to the next stage woo!

Anyone else here applying to Bristol?
(edited 10 years ago)
What on earth on you going on about?

Imagine this scenario

Student A has parent earning a salary of 23k

Get in total from Warwick and SF £9600+

Student B has parents earning 36k

Gets in total £6700+ from Warwick.

Obviously I'm just referring to the actual student. All students at the same university face similar costs, so household income encompassing the whole family is irrelevant. Clearly, the latter family may be better off, but during term time, roles are likely to be reversed..

Who is going to have more money at university? £35k isn't even that much after tax if made by two people. Therefore don't be under the illusion that person B will be lavished with hands out by their parents. 18k x 2 =36k which is a pretty modest household income.

The squeezed middle is not a myth..

That's just for Warwick who seem to be very generous on Bursary
What about all the other unis?
Going to ucl is gonna be very expensive living in London, and I'm mainly going to do it because at the end of day, its a lot of money you can earn and it's nice to know this before you're actually going to uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
Original post by printergirl
That's just for Warwick who seem to be very generous on Bursary
What about all the other unis?
Going to ucl is gonna be very expensive living in London, and I'm mainly going to do it because at the end of day, its a lot of money you can earn and it's nice to know this before you're actually going to uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

The majority of Universities are extremely generous with their Bursaries. My household income is below £25,000 and therefore with Edinburgh i'm entitled to a £7000 bursary.

Furthermore if I had gone with my other firm of Leeds I was able to get a £9000 bursary for achieving the grades ABB with Leeds Access.

I do find that it is unfair, even though i'm on the good end of things because I have friends with an income just over the boundary whos families struggle more than my own.
The majority of Universities are extremely generous with their Bursaries. My household income is below £25,000 and therefore with Edinburgh i'm entitled to a £7000 bursary.

Furthermore if I had gone with my other firm of Leeds I was able to get a £9000 bursary for achieving the grades ABB with Leeds Access.

I do find that it is unfair, even though i'm on the good end of things because I have friends with an income just over the boundary whos families struggle more than my own.

UCL aren't so generous

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
I think this sounds awesome. However my CV is crap - what's everyone got on theirs besides grades, university offers and a bit of work experience?

£7000 :eek: Yeah like printergirl said, UCL are nowhere near as generous, though they do have some scholarships on offer.
Reply 77
Original post by lighterthanAyer
£7000 :eek: Yeah like printergirl said, UCL are nowhere near as generous, though they do have some scholarships on offer.

Yes I know they're very generous, they provide generous bursaries for anyone under the £42,500 bracket i believe!

I checked out UCL's bursaries, I think they're less generous due to the amount of bursaries I offer, there seemed to be quite a lot in comparison to Edinburgh where there are around 8.
Arghh, still haven't sorted my CV for this :frown:
Reply 79
It has been nearly two days, looking back on how quickly they responded to the first people who submitted I am starting to feel that I may have waited a little too long.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending