The Student Room Group

Luis Suarez isn't even World Class

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
This thread is brilliant :lol:

I hate his guts, but I still think he's world class.
Reply 41
Original post by moey3
Nope ...correct stats...BBC sports- 22 goals (everywhere...not just the league!!...hence my write-up about europe!)

Check your sources and/or properly before you quote...would make a worldy difference =]

Oh and he's not played that many extra...like i said...4 games extra (which suarez would've played had he not got suspended) + 7 apps in the Champs league (which Suarez would've played, if he was in europe)

But you talk about misperceiving stats but you put them across in a way to make giroud seem like he's scored nearly as many goals but forget to mention he's played 11 extra games

Also you say he hasn't played that many more but at Suarez's rate of scoring 4 league games is another 3-5 goals at least so he'd be about 15 ahead had they played the same number of league games
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 42
That was some world class crying I saw yesterday evening! :awesome:
Really dislike him as a person but he's the most exciting person to watch in the EPL. I'd be sad if he ever left.
Reply 44
Original post by Wade-
But you talk about misperceiving stats but you put them across in a way to make giroud seem like he's scored nearly as many goals but forget to mention he's played 11 extra games

Also you say he hasn't played that many more but at Suarez's rate of scoring 4 league games is another 3-5 goals at least so he'd be about 15 ahead had they played the same number of league games

And this is the case...had he not bitten Ivanovic, and not got the ban, and then scored 15 or whatever goals, then fair enough...but that's not the case.
It's the same scenario with Aguero...had he not been injured, he could've matched/even bettered suarez's goals!

I'm sorry if I caused confusion...My point on Giroud was more on the emphasis of the difference in views by media+fans. (rather than him scoring nearly as many goals or a misperceirivng of stats)
There's not been that much of a difference in goals between the two, but yet Suarez is a top-end world class striker, and giroud is a low-key **** striker...

Still, like someone else said, hate him as a person, rate him as a footballer (just not maybe yet "world"-class)

...Oh and the whole crying thing was absolutely hilarious :hahaha::rofl:
Suarez will have his chance to prove if he really is world class against the big teams in the CL.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by moey3
And this is the case...had he not bitten Ivanovic, and not got the ban, and then scored 15 or whatever goals, then fair enough...but that's not the case.
It's the same scenario with Aguero...had he not been injured, he could've matched/even bettered suarez's goals!

I'm sorry if I caused confusion...My point on Giroud was more on the emphasis of the difference in views by media+fans. (rather than him scoring nearly as many goals or a misperceirivng of stats)
There's not been that much of a difference in goals between the two, but yet Suarez is a top-end world class striker, and giroud is a low-key **** striker...

Still, like someone else said, hate him as a person, rate him as a footballer (just not maybe yet "world"-class)

...Oh and the whole crying thing was absolutely hilarious :hahaha::rofl:

But that's irrelevant, Suarez's goals to games is far better than giroud which is why people have been so heavy on praise, giroud has gone hot and cold this season. Another reason Suarez is rated so much more highly is because his overall contribution is so much more than giroud

Posted from TSR Mobile
Falcao would piss on him. I agree.
Reply 48
Original post by Wade-
But that's irrelevant, Suarez's goals to games is far better than giroud which is why people have been so heavy on praise, giroud has gone hot and cold this season. Another reason Suarez is rated so much more highly is because his overall contribution is so much more than giroud

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah fair enough.
Look, I'm not trying to compare Giroud and Suarez's class...there's obviously a huge gulf between them (hence also the fact we were actually trying to sign him up)

What I'm trying to say here, is that Giroud has scored goals more than an an average-striker would...yet he has been portrayed as below-average...

and whereas suarez is not too far ahead, is praised rightly...
that's what i'm trying to say.

But again...not the point...the question asked is "is suarez world class" and my answer to that is no (giroud's statement was just something extra!)
He is an amazing player...but maybe not yet "world"-class.

Let's see if he can perform in next year's champs league...if he can deliver...then I may actually change my mind....but at the moment...it's a no from me (not a solid no, but not a yes either, like in the middle but more towards the no :P)

EDIT: on the note of contribution, I think it helps that the team around him have been pretty solid, and not injured. ie it's easier for him to deliver with runs from Sturridge, sterling, coutinho etc etc.
If we had that throughout the whole campaign, I think there might have been a better case ie if Ramsey and esp walcott was fit!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest