The Student Room Group

IQ test- Should I look too much into it?

Ok so I did this IQ test. It was the first one that came up on Google, so I presumed it was reliable. It also cost £5.00, which I paid. And, the Facebook page of the website has around 21k likes, which hopefully shows that it is well used and reliable.

Anyway, I did it, and I got an IQ score of 128, which it said was in the top 6% of the Country. Should I look too much into, or is it just a random test that means nothing?

On one of the questions, I admit I did sort of cheat, as there was a picture with a blank square in it, and then like 5 pictures next to see, and you had to say which of the 5 mini pictures should be added to the big picture. I dragged the pictures to see if you could use them almost like a jigsaw, to find the answer, and it worked. I only did this with one thought, so I didnt go through it all cheating. Also, my tea was ready, and going cold towards the end of the test. I had to rush the last 5, and got one wrong, which i may have got right had of not been rushing. So it kind of evens it self out. I got one right due to sort of cheating, and one wrong due to rushing. If I would of done the test 100% properly (i.e no cheating, and also no rushing), I would of probably got the question I sort of cheated on, wrong, and the question that I rushed and got wrong, correct, so i would of got the same score in the long run, yeah?

Anyway, forgetting that last paragraph, should I look too much into this test? Am I really in the top 6% in the Country with regard to my IQ, or is it just a random test that I shouldnt bother too much about.

This is the website btw: http://www.test-my-iq.co.uk/
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Whether it's an official test or a random one in the internet, you shouldn't "bother too much about it" either way as they mean sod all.
Reply 2
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Whether it's an official test or a random one in the internet, you shouldn't "bother too much about it" either way as they mean sod all.

I know they mean 'sod all' really, but the thing is, if my IQ really is in the top 6%, then it would finally prove (sort of) that I am actually 'better than average' at something for once, which would please me :redface:
Reply 3
Well Stephen Hawking doesn't think much of them...

“I don't know what my IQ is. People who gloat about their IQ's are losers”
Reply 4
Original post by String.
Well Stephen Hawking doesn't think much of them...

“I don't know what my IQ is. People who gloat about their IQ's are losers”

Well sorry :redface:

Like I say on the last reply though, it would be nice to know that I am actually above average at something for once :redface:, which is why im hoping that having a good IQ actually means something.
Try another IQ test. And another. And another . And another.

And finally you'll know for good. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
The fact you are paying for the test creates a conflict of interest. People want to hear good news. They want to be told they're clever, not told they're thick. So the people running this website have a financial motivation for exaggerating the scores. I wouldn't trust the result you've been given.
Reply 7
Original post by SamL94
Well sorry :redface:

Like I say on the last reply though, it would be nice to know that I am actually above average at something for once :redface:, which is why im hoping that having a good IQ actually means something.

Don't be sorry; and I'm sure there's something to them! Get a proper one done my a psychologist and then you can gloat!
Reply 8
Original post by Wirral
The fact you are paying for the test creates a conflict of interest. People want to hear good news. They want to be told they're clever, not told they're thick. So the people running this website have a financial motivation for exaggerating the scores. I wouldn't trust the result you've been given.
But they give you result after you had paid, so why would they purposely give you a high score just so you get what you want to hear? you have already given them the money.

Anyway, at the end of the test, after I had paid the £5, they give my a free 'code' which I can use to have a free test. Maybe I will use it, and purposely put wrong answers in, and see if it still gives me a high score or not. Put your theory into practise.
Reply 9
Original post by String.
Don't be sorry; and I'm sure there's something to them! Get a proper one done my a psychologist and then you can gloat!

I wouldn't gloat anyway haha:cool:. I was just wondering if I should look too much into it.
Reply 10
What they told you isn't a true representation of your IQ. Anyone who pays £5 for an IQ test MUST - okay not MUST, but most probably - have a pretty low IQ when there are a myriad of free tests available.
Reply 11
Original post by SamL94
But they give you result after you had paid, so why would they purposely give you a high score just so you get what you want to hear? you have already given them the money.

Anyway, at the end of the test, after I had paid the £5, they give my a free 'code' which I can use to have a free test. Maybe I will use it, and purposely put wrong answers in, and see if it still gives me a high score or not. Put your theory into practise.

In the mass there is a conflict of interest. If you get a high score you are more likely to feel elated and click Like. More Likes means more business.
I've done one too, but I don't put too much stock in it. My dad joined Mensa with his high IQ. But all that proves is that you're good at IQ tests, and if anything memory or pattern recognition. There are plenty of types of intelligence, and IQ is hardly a comprehensive test of how "smart" you are overall. For instance, my dad is a bit of a moron :lol: (I mean, he paid money to join Mensa...)
(edited 10 years ago)
As Jim Al-khalili says, IQ tests are only good, for finding out who is good at taking IQ tests.
Reply 14
Original post by Yo-yo Ma
What they told you isn't a true representation of your IQ. Anyone who pays £5 for an IQ test MUST - okay not MUST, but most probably - have a pretty low IQ when there are a myriad of free tests available.

haha I know there are loads of free available but I'm not sure whether they are reliable. The £5 was taken off my phone (as you had to text for a code) and I only spend like £10 like every 5 months on my phone, as I never text hardly anyone, so £5 from it wasn't really a big deal:biggrin: So I wouldn't really say I have a low IQ because of that
Reply 15
No it proves you are good at IQ tests, i reckon my sister could get into Mensa if she did one of those tests a day from a couple of weeks and she's 8.
Reply 16
Original post by desdemonata
I've done one too, but I don't put too much stock in it. My dad joined Mensa with his high IQ. But all that proves is that you're good at IQ tests, and if anything memory or pattern recognition. There are plenty of types of intelligence, and IQ is hardly a comprehensive test of how "smart" you are overall. For instance, my dad is a bit of a moron :lol:

Well tbh, I always knew that an IQ score wasn't an indicator of your intelligence. I never said it was.

I'm more just saying that maybe a good IQ test shows that somebody, like you say, are better than average at solving patterns, or memory, stuff which I would be glad to be better than average at. I know that I probably should look TOO much into it, but like I say, I just wanted to find out if it mean't that I was actually better than average at something for a change :redface:
Original post by SamL94
Well tbh, I always knew that an IQ score wasn't an indicator of your intelligence. I never said it was.

I'm more just saying that maybe a good IQ test shows that somebody, like you say, are better than average at solving patterns, or memory, stuff which I would be glad to be better than average at. I know that I probably should look TOO much into it, but like I say, I just wanted to find out if it mean't that I was actually better than average at something for a change :redface:

Yep. It means you're good at IQ tests and what it measures so :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by SamL94
Ok so I did this IQ test. It was the first one that came up on Google, so I presumed it was reliable. It also cost £5.00, which I paid. And, the Facebook page of the website has around 21k likes, which hopefully shows that it is well used and reliable.

Anyway, I did it, and I got an IQ score of 128, which it said was in the top 6% of the Country. Should I look too much into, or is it just a random test that means nothing?

On one of the questions, I admit I did sort of cheat, as there was a picture with a blank square in it, and then like 5 pictures next to see, and you had to say which of the 5 mini pictures should be added to the big picture. I dragged the pictures to see if you could use them almost like a jigsaw, to find the answer, and it worked. I only did this with one thought, so I didnt go through it all cheating. Also, my tea was ready, and going cold towards the end of the test. I had to rush the last 5, and got one wrong, which i may have got right had of not been rushing. So it kind of evens it self out. I got one right due to sort of cheating, and one wrong due to rushing. If I would of done the test 100% properly (i.e no cheating, and also no rushing), I would of probably got the question I sort of cheated on, wrong, and the question that I rushed and got wrong, correct, so i would of got the same score in the long run, yeah?

Anyway, forgetting that last paragraph, should I look too much into this test? Am I really in the top 6% in the Country with regard to my IQ, or is it just a random test that I shouldnt bother too much about.

This is the website btw: http://www.test-my-iq.co.uk/

No test done in those conditions can ever be accurate. Especially since it says 128 puts you in the top 6%. I'm fairly sure that standardised i.q. is done via. a normal distribution (of mean 100 and standard deviation 11) and so your i.q. would place you in the top 0.7% (roughly) though it it is the top 6% that would co-ordinate to an i.q. of about 116. Then again, people invent different i.q. tests with higher standard deviations so that a 110 becomes a 130 etc.. so everyone thinks they're really smart :s Also, tests can never give exact scores, only ranges (e.g. 105-120 etc..)

Since they got this wrong, I certainly doubt the test was credible. If you really want to know then pay to do a written one, but I don't see any point tbh. A lot of people make things up. Like Marylyn vos Savant and a few other people who claim to have i.q.s of 200+ which is absurd and would mean that only 1 in every 100 people with i.q.s greater than or equal to Einstein's would likely come close to them (it is estimated the i.q.s of these fraudsters are around 130...)

Tbh, i.q.s don't mean anything. They are a quotient of a specific part of your intelligence but do not encapsulate it! I've personally never been too fused about mine because I've always thought that it would mean nothing without achievements or life success. But I've taken a few online tests and got 140-160-ish and yet, when a Kat test at school I got 130-ish (though I later found out it was 3 sections that each only went up to 140 and I got a full-score on the section most similar to an i.q. test) :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Albino
No it proves you are good at IQ tests, i reckon my sister could get into Mensa if she did one of those tests a day from a couple of weeks and she's 8.

But surely, if you are above average at IQ tests, then surely that must mean that you are better than average at SOME skills (like solving sequences or patterns, memory, etc) which I would be glad to know about.

I never thought that IQ tests were an indicator of your intelligence, but I just wanted to know what they were an indicator of (like I say, sequence solving, memory, concentration skills, idk)?

Quick Reply

Latest