The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology unit 3 mass media June 2013

What does everyone think is going to be the topic for unit 3 mass media because i'm really stressed and nothing is going into my head and i cant learn everything so i'm going to learn what everyone thinks is predicted to come up.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shuhela
What does everyone think is going to be the topic for unit 3 mass media because i'm really stressed and nothing is going into my head and i cant learn everything so i'm going to learn what everyone thinks is predicted to come up.

Same hereeee guys any predictions?? I thought maybe representations would come up?
Reply 2
By taking previous pass papers into account, I would say that 18 mark question will be on topic 5 and 6 (representation) and the 33 mark question will be on topic 3 and 4 ( selection and presentation of news and mass media and audience).

This is what I predict, so therefore I will only try to cram in these 4 topics. And In-case it doesn't come up YOLO. hahahahah :/
Our teacher suggested that social class may come up as a question regarding media representations because it hasn't come up recently, whereas gender, age, ethnicity, disability and sexuality all have appeared, even if it was only a 9 marker :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Sophster101
Our teacher suggested that social class may come up as a question regarding media representations because it hasn't come up recently, whereas gender, age, ethnicity, disability and sexuality all have appeared, even if it was only a 9 marker :smile:

Which topic is social class?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys do you have any structure of how you would write your essays? or any essay plans? I realise I know the stuff it's just putting it into essays that's hard
My teacher always do a structure like this...
X says...(theory says)
This shoes...
This means...(link bk to Q)
However (analysis with another competing theory

Its helped me get A, A & B for my soc modules so far. Hope this Aqa exam tomorrow is a nice one!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by ChristinaFay
Guys do you have any structure of how you would write your essays? or any essay plans? I realise I know the stuff it's just putting it into essays that's hard

Meh just go with good old PEEL. Point, evidence or study, explanation and link it to theory and back to the question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
so hope this exam is okay tomorrow! good luck everyone, would really like an audience question to come up as a 33 marker.
Thanks guys and good luckkk
Original post by SkyWar
Which topic is social class?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The one about representations, topic 4 :smile:
For the 33 mark essay I'm hoping that audience theories will come up (Hypodermic Syringe etc...) For the 18 I'd probably like ownership (either pluralist or Marxist) and then anything apart from ethnicity for the 9 marker (As we haven't covered it in class.)

I'm a lot more confident with this exam than I am with Unit 4 Crime & Deviance, I'm dreading that paper :L

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChristinaFay

I use the PEE format (Point, Evidence, Explain)
Also, I've been told to always link back to the question and in the first introductory paragraph you basically just reword the question into a sentence.
Finally, don't start a sentence or paragraph with a name of a sociologist, try and work it into the middle l.

Posted from TSR Mobile
really stressed about this exam :frown: hope its a good one good luck guyssssss
How did people find the exam? :smile:
Reply 15
Which one did you do? I did Mass Media thought it was ok could have been far worse!!
Reply 16
Generally thought it was ok. Could've been worse I guess. What did people write for the question on marxist view of organisation and role of mass media?
I did mass media as well. I think most people will have done marxism rather than the new media as I personally believe there is more content on it that can be discussed, although the word 'organisation' confused me somewhat, what were they wanting here? I put about the ideological state apparatus, how they create a false class consciousness, how they directly manipulate the media using discourse analysis etc. Then going onto neomarxists - ideological function, why journalists have the same viewpoint/outlook, some bits on connotative control plus some other stuff.
Selection & presentation of media (18 marker) I thought was really good put like: gatekeeping, agenda setting, news values etc.
The nine marker confused me at first as it seemed a better fit for a 18/33 marker but put catharsis/sensitization & something else that I can't remember (memory like Dori from finding nemo aha)
What did everyone else put?
No MORE SOCIOLOGY!
I did mass media too
our class was divided on the 33 marker (there's only 6 of us) I did Marxism as I thought there was more to write and raise rot link theory and stuff but others choose the new media one as we had just done the stuff in class.
all in all a good exam :biggrin:
I didn't understand the Marxism 33 marker at all so went with new media because I actually like that topic and in a practice essay I got an A.
I was hoping audience models would come up as we were told it hadn't come up in ages but no such luck, also wanted representations...but there you have it, never really get the perfect exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending