The Student Room Group

Switching from nursing to biomedical science?

Hi,

Iv recently applied for a nursing degree and have accepted offers from my top choices, however...now i want to do biomedical science instead. Im doing the access to biomedical science at the moment and want to carry on doing what im doing now!

The unis iv had offers from do not do the IBMS accredited courses, which means if i do biomedical science, il have to wait until next year and reapply, which is a gamble in case i dont get any offers at all, as its only aston id want to go to! (live nearby).

I know if I carried on doing nursing, chances are i will have a job at the end of it. Are the employment prospects good with a biomedical degree? And does anyone else think it is worth the time and effort to wait another year? I am already 23! lol.
Reply 1
what?!?!?!?! I've just completed a course at UCL biomedical sciences ( non accredited) and Im starting Postgraduate dipoma in Adult Nursing at City. I know a girl going on the same course but at LSBU and did the accredited Biomedical sciences in Ubi of Bedfordhsire because she spent a year looking for biomed jobs!

Its kinda of a gamble really employment of nursing students is at least 80% but biomedical students average about 60% and most are NOT with the NHS in pathology labs due to their centralisation. However I keep hearing different stories from different people, some have successfully found places. But it boils down to in the end, do you prefer labwork or working with sick people, you see people at their worst and distressing periods and at their best periods. Its really what environment you think you can thrive in the better

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending