The Student Room Group

Have degrees' lost their monetary worth?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
In my mind degrees from low level institutions or in non-traditional subjects tend to not be worth it in the economic sense. But if the person is going to university to pursue a passion of theirs then what isn't worth it to me may seem cheap to them.
Original post by distressed
Prestige because my 'passion' won't pay the bills. Time flies, trust dw bout the 5/6yr thing.

Tbh I don't even think I'll get into the medicine field because it's too competitive so yeah thanks for the advice though :wink:
Reply 42
To an extent they have lost value and with the 9K fees the no longer give value for money as you can be unemployed for years and years after you graduate. Maybe in the LT when the economy gets better the value will increase.
Reply 43
Yes, Plumbers can make a comparable salary to white collar workers, they always have work.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 44
The value of a degree is more than purely monetary and the 'debt' isn't really debt in the traditional sense, it's more like a tax and ultimately you will only ever end up paying off a truly significant amount if you are successful - in which case you can afford to pay it back.

My personal view is that for a degree to be worthwhile it needs to either lead into a career which you want to do (e.g Law, Medicine, Architecture, Pharmacology etc) or be on a subject area which you find incredibly interesting and actually want to study (and then with the acceptance that you are doing this for academic reasons and it will not necessarily increase your job prospects) - going to university purely for the sake of it is no longer a good idea, in my opinion.
Original post by Horsedobbin
What do you mean? Art galleries all over the country are crying out for staff.

yeah but you could get a job like that without a degree... :/
Original post by desdemonata
Some professions, you won't get anywhere without a degree. However, more than anything else overall not having a degree is a disadvantage. Also for a lot of jobs you'll find people who have a degree with no relevance to that area, but because they had a degree they showed they could apply themselves.

Exactly.

Try being a researcher, doctor, dentist, lawyer, pharmacist etc by just "working your way up".
Original post by distressed
I'll be going to uni and racking up a 27K debt, only for me to end up working in the local sainsbury's...where is the justice?!

Are degrees' even worth it anymore? Everyone I know that has gone to uni usually ends up working in retail, despite getting a 2:1 in a respectable subject from a top russel group uni, it's ridiculous!

The only people who seem to do well are those that are rolling in it already and have contacts who can put a good word in for them :mad:

maybe you'll learn to use apostrophes correctly
Reply 48
Original post by Vibenation
This is why I stick to college instead of university......

It is not as if you have the grades to get into a top Russell group university!
I can bet money that my degree from a Russell group university will help me get better paid job than your college level education.
You speak as if you had a choice and turned down some top university.
Original post by ssxx
I can bet money that my degree from a Russell group university will help me get better paid job than your college level education.

Still depends on the subject. The Russell group offer some really jokey courses.
Reply 50
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
Still depends on the subject. The Russell group offer some really jokey courses.

Even a joke course from a Russell group is more rigorous then a joke course from a ex poly.
Original post by ssxx
Even a joke course from a Russell group is more rigorous then a joke course from a ex poly.

No - I'd rather employ somebody who readily admits that their course is a joke (by going to an ex poly) than somebody who went to a real uni and pretends that they've worked hard.
From my experience it is all about luck and the individual. A few people I know went to City University, Queen Mary University and Imperial University doing Psychology, Business and Physics respectively. However none of them are yet to find a job yet its been around 15 or 16 months but two other people I know went to Kingston and Greenwich University doing Business Information Systems and Economics and they got a job within 3 or 4 months and are now earning £26k+ but bare in mind these two had work experience for 2 or 3 years at least.

From what I see the moral is get EXPERIENCE even if you go to a mid table university/bottom university but have the experience a job is still possible and not impossible as many seem to argue
Reply 53
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
No - I'd rather employ somebody who readily admits that their course is a joke (by going to an ex poly) than somebody who went to a real uni and pretends that they've worked hard.

Which part don't you understand? A joke degree at a RS university is more rigorous, (HIGHER STANDARDS) than a joke course at a ex poly.

Can you understand?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by justinawe
You don't need a degree to go into accountancy.

That's true, but the existence of degrees in accountancy implies precedence of graduates over apprentices.
Original post by Habsburg
That's true, but the existence of degrees in accountancy implies precedence of graduates over apprentices.

Not really, if you become fully qualified by doing all the professional exams after your A-levels, it's just as good. A degree doesn't even exempt you from all the professional exams. The only use of an accounting degree is so that you can be taught the content, or if you're not 100% sure that you want to be an accountant, so you'll be able to apply for other graduate jobs after your degree if you so desire.
Original post by ssxx

Nope I never said anything about going university or anything. I was being sarcastic.
Original post by ssxx

I forgot, you are the guy that was begging it about York University like its no tomorrow. Shut the hell up about university. I bet you couldn't hold down a job like your life depended on it.

Plus you haven't even started your degree, I bet money. That you wouldn't even finish it.
Reply 58
Original post by Vibenation
I forgot, you are the guy that was begging it about York University like its no tomorrow. Shut the hell up about university. I bet you couldn't hold down a job like your life depended on it.

Plus you haven't even started your degree, I bet money. That you wouldn't even finish it.

I have had jobs before university, it all went fine.
I am a mature student just finishing my 2nd year at a leading Russell Group university:colondollar:
Original post by ssxx
I have had jobs before university, it all went fine.
I am a mature student just finishing my 2nd year at a leading Russell Group university:colondollar:

Can you say the name of this so called Russell Group University that you attend? :colondollar:

Another thing, why did you got banned for a week from TheStudentRoom, few months ago? :colondollar:

P.S. Plus you are not really mature mate
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending