The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh PPLS/LEL PhD students 2013

Hello

I've just got my offer through for a PhD in Linguistics and English Language at Edinburgh, just thought it would be good to see if anyone else will be coming this year. I am just finishing a part-time masters here, so I am happy to answer any questions about life in Edinburgh or the uni etc.

Daniel
Reply 1
Hey, I'm an international student starting my PhD in psychology this fall. Biggest thing on my mind right now is figuring out accommodation; I'll probably go the University housing route since I am guaranteed a spot. The selections look pretty nice with a number of decent locations, so I am not too worried (should I be?)
Ironically, I've known a bunch of people who have lived in Edinburgh for decent chunks of time, but all of them happened to have moved away for the time being.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Hi

i've got offers from a couple places for a masters in psycholinguistics. in edinburgh it's called the 'psychology of language', in other places its called other things...confused about which place to choose. it's between ucl and edinburgh. how does edinburgh stand, compared to ucl? and for psychology?

thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 3
Honestly I would say the difference in 'standing' between UCL and Edinburgh is trivial -- both departments. I would study the programme details (search on drps.ed.ac.uk) and see if the content looks appealing. Also, you could look at the research profiles of the staff members teaching on your courses -- do they match up with the kind of things you are interested in?(have a browse on http://www.ppls.ed.ac.uk/)

Cheers

Daniel
Reply 4
0la,

When did you apply for your Phd?

Quick Reply