The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You have to be careful with using the word 'scripted'. Some people believe every single word, action or event in WWE is in a script, not the case.

The malice and rivalries are there, it's just they're based on more larger than life things than MMA. For example, the nepotistic Edge screwing the fan favourite, all-round American hero Batista. You have to see wrestling as bigger, the guys are playing characters and creating storylines, if you miss that then wrestling will never be anything. The biggest storyline in wrestling wasn't based around KOs, cage fights, (I find MMA boring, as do many WWE fans, it's too different) it was based around the working class guy rebelling against his overbearing ******* of a boss, hence Austin/McMahon was so successful. If you look at the storylines, you'll see all sorts of problems writ large, from Hispanics trying to make it against rich Americans, to an unsually violent Irish leprechaun beating up a metrosexual with a shillelagh(ok that's an exception lol).

We all know WWE is planned to a decent extent, we know the match finishes are planned and so on. In short, we know. And yet we watch it. Figuring out why isn't really that hard if you look. You get interesting characters, over the top events, a genius/madman of an owner who's not afraid to say anything or get beaten up, hot divas (haters always forget the divas) and great memories. I understand why people watch MMA, but I watch WWE. And just to reiterate, we know it's not real.

A lot of wrestling fans would find a boxing match boring for example. There's no exaggeration, no over the top characters, no precisely defined heel or face, no injustice etc. There's no legend in a long black coat, an Italian immigrant who needs to learn English, no JR to call the action. Put simply, what you see is what you get. If you suspend reality (like every time you see a movie) for a while, the appeal of wrestling becomes clear. It's not about reality, rigid rules, real people, pure athleticism or knocking out an opponent.
Gotcha. Thanks.

:smile:
I prefer the Heels.

Faces are so boring!
The bottom line with the WWE and pro wrestling in general, is that it is entirely scripted. The storylines, the match outcomes, the promo's, the rivalries, it's all scripted, there is no doubt about that. Sure, there are examples of storylines boiling over into real life, and there being genuine dislike between the two guys involved (edge/matt Hardy), but the entire thing is very much part of a script. But any serious wrestling fan over the age of 14 or so looks beyond this, granted, everyone knows its fake, but yet the appeal is still there.

For me what graps my attention, is the fact that despite it all being rehearsed etc... the finished article is often two fantastic athletes working together, going through a hell of a lot of physical exursion to put on one hell of a show. The storylines etc... can add a lot of interest to certain angles/feuds, but what isnt fake are the bumps they take in the ring, sure they know how to fall, but a 20 foot drop from the top of a cage, is a 20 foot drop however you look at it, and props go to anyone who can pull that sort of thing off for me.

MMA is fine for me to watch, but it offers a very different sense of entertainment, for example when I watch WWE I like the threatre of it all, the Pyro and dramatics, sure its fake, but no more so than a lot of other series/soaps/films you see on TV, whereas MMA is real, and thus offers a different sort of experience.
Lucy :)
I prefer the Heels.

Faces are so boring!

In fairness when Faces are done well they're fine. Unfortunately, all of the major faces in the WWE at the moment are either totally wooden or very stale. Though until recently the only Heel who was more interesting than any of the faces was Edge, though now with Jericho turned Heel that should provide a bit more depth, similarly MVP would benefit from a push at this stage, and Kennedy could be a nice new option for a face.
tiss
Depends entirely on the Character

TNA have it done nicely with entertaining people like Alex Shelley and Chris Sabin

Where thats true, they have also created Curry man and given Shark Boy the stone cole persona, which tbh really turns me off.
Faces are just bland and usually make me cringe. Heels have real character most the time.
The faces we have at the moment seem the kind to always listen to thier mummy and eat cookies and milk before bed time.
Lucy :)
The faces we have at the moment seem the kind to always listen to thier mummy and eat cookies and milk before bed time.

Its because every promo these days is written for them, back about 6 years ago they were told to go out and do whatever they liked as long as they didn't say anything controversial and stuck to a few basic points.

Nowadays we routinely get the "blah blah...gonna beat you down and do the right thing etc....bring that title back where it belongs etc..." Hence one of the reasons why john Cena gets so much animosity from the crowd I imagine. Which is a shame really, as he is very good on the mic.
Well just about the scripted argument, it's not entirely scripted. That's an overstatement. It's entirely outlined. It's simply not the case that all the moves seen in matches are planned, communication, improvisation are all key. If you say it's entirely scripted, people not familiar with wrestling believe exactly that, which is far from the truth. Match finishes are planned, and some spots. There's a run sheet for all shows, an order. You think that Michaels and Bret sat down and wrote a script for their match at Mania 12? There were two planned things: HBK's entrance and the eventual finish.

Also, the veteran wrestlers don't read from promo scripts. HHH, HBK, Taker and so on may be given an outline as to what the promo is about, but they're trusted to ad lib. Yes, many others do seem to read from scripts as they're promo skills are dire but the veterans don't, even now.

I think John Cena gets so much animosity from the crowd because he sucks. Plus, it's obvious many of his promos are ad libbed and his own material, sometimes what comes out of his mouth is utter rubbish, no fault of the writers. I dislike him on the mic, usually because it was the same thing, the champ is here. He over emphasises a lot of stuff and his promos often die a death.

As for the faces eating their milk and cookies, I'm not sure HHH, HBK and Batista would quite fit into that category but the faces in general are quite bland.
Flair was on Raw last week?

What a load of BS not even been 6 months and is back already.

Makes all the goodbye and the HOF seem fake now. If he starts doing a Hogan or Foley I'll be pissed.

STAY GONE :angry:
I can't wait for RAW..

And yeah, faces suck. Pretty much every one of my favourites are heel.
Hey TuckingFypo..you're a little British pansy..
Mr. Tinkertrain
Hey TuckingFypo..you're a little British pansy..

Do I know you?

Man up, you ****ing Goth..
Man, you go tell that to the gothic smore, not me.

Back on wrestling, the draft should really clear things up. One would hope, anyways.

Guys like Umaga, Carlito, and Cena must move. I'd also love to see Jeff Hardy get off Raw.
Since this hasn't been mentioned yet, today (June 23rd) is the first anniversary of the horrible tragedy involving the Benoit family that unfolded one year ago. :frown:

Rest In Peace:

Chris Benoit (1967-2007)
Nancy Benoit (1964-2007)
Daniel Benoit (2000-2007)

:'( :'(
i thought it was tommorow?..im not a wwe follower or anything, but he died on the same day i joined this site:wink::Plol...anyways, he was a ****er for what he did to his family, but for wwe terms, the man is a legend! rip the beniots
so far, mysterio to raw-odd decision
jeff hardy to smackdown-would of been nice to see him challenge hhh to the title, but o well-least the hardy boyz will be reunited.....however matt hardy is later drafted to ecw.....:s-smilie:
Seems very odd to me this Draft,

I just wish they done the right thing and put Cena on Smackdown where he belongs, Or do one better and put him on ECW
What a strange Raw. As Vince informed Paul (love how he used the name to hype the reality), he can't feel his legs. Aww. No more money giveaway, and I'm assuming there'll be a Vince rant at the fans, he gives them money and he nearly dies in return. Funny how one man can almost die (and actually die) so many times.

Draft picks were overall quite good, Smackdown got off well: Jeff, Kennedy, Umaga, Triple H (will he actually go or will it be like 2004?). Obviously if Trips stays on Friday nights, then Batista pretty much must win at Night of Champions. I suppose they could stick with both titles on Smackdown for longer, but it'd be a mistake.

Mysterio to Raw, clearly a ratings move. Kane, fine with that. Couldn't care less about CM Punk. MVP should have moved.

While I don't mind JR moving, Cole and King work nicely, I wish they would stop screwing with him, the guy's a legend, the voice of WWE, and he'll just retire if they keep dicking him around. It'd be very stupid if they lost him just because they wanna shake things up at the announcers' table.

Can't wait to see the Samoan Bulldog on Smackdown. Adamle for Raw GM.

Latest