The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

:frown: taken from WWE.com

“My body is so beat up and run down, I can’t even think straight,” Kurt Angle tells WWE.com in an exclusive interview Saturday concerning his early release from his contract with World Wrestling Entertainment. Angle and WWE officials mutually agreed to end Angle’s relationship with the company on Friday.

Angle says seven years of non-stop wrestling has taken a major toll on his body, his mind and his family. “I need my body to reheal and rehab, I have done this for too long without a break. I haven’t been able to really enjoy my life. I haven’t seen my family, I’ve had problems with medication - I’m just fried physically and mentally.”

Angle’s business manager David Hawk claims, “Kurt’s in a tremendous amount of pain, he’s used prescription medication to deal with it. Kurt has come to the conclusion that unless he can get in the ring without the use of pain medication then he doesn’t need to be in there. He realizes he was just endangering himself and his opponents.”

The last straw for Angle seems to have occurred on August 13th, 2006, at an ECW live event in White Plains, New York. Angle was wrestling Rob Van Dam in a match where both competitors were fueled by the passionate ECW fans. “The crowd was wild,” Angle says. “Early on in the match, I pulled my groin, but I kept going, feeding off the crowd. Then I pulled my abdominal muscle off the pelvic bone, but I kept going as the crowd grew more wild. Finally, I blew out my hamstring, but we finished the match. The crowd stood and applauded - a standing ovation and that meant so much to me.”

Ironically that would be Angle’s last match.

WWE.com asked Angle if he would ever return to competition in WWE. Angle says “I can’t tell you that right now, I need to heal up mentally and physically. Until then, I can’t even think about returning.”

But Angle says WWE Chairman Vince McMahon told him the door is always open. “Vince says when I’m ready, if I’m ever ready, to come back just sign on the dotted line. I’ll tell you if I do return I’m going back to my roots, training on the mat like my amateur days. Longevity is the key.”

Hawk seems confident Angle will be in the ring again someday.

Angle has a final message to his legion of WWE and ECW fans. “Don’t be concerned, this move was for the best. It was a privilege to be able to compete for all of you. I’d like to say thank you.”

It's really sad to see him leave but he put off major neck surgery that he needed deciding to work through the injuries. He needs this he could well have killed himself rather then stop

Kurt angle was my favourite, he will be missed some of my favourite matches featured him,

Undertaker vs Angle No way out 2006
Benoit vs Angle Royal rumble 2003
Rock vs Angle No way out 2001
Rock vs Angle No mercy 2000 ( for him winning the title the match itself wasnt that great)
Benoit vs Angle Backlash 2001
Rock vs Undertaker vs Angle Vengeance 2002
Hogan vs Angle King of the ring 2002 ( he made Hogan tap , not a good match but still:biggrin: )
Guerrero vs Angle Wrestlemania XX
Mysterio and Edge vs Angle and Benoit No mercy 2002
Undertaker vs Angle survivor series 2000 ( i thought the ending was great)

some of my favourite kurt angle moments include; when he drenched the invasion ( wcw , ecw) with milk. the fake rock interview before their match at no mercy, out rapping john cena ( when cena still had the rapping gimmick)

I wish the best for Kurt in the future and I hope that we will see him again one day,

It's true its true!
Hit4Six
angle, benoit, jericho, eddie :frown: all my face wrestlers all not in the competeing for one reason or another

yes, the overall WWE roster is now as weak as I can ever remember.
Reply 222
OMG not Kurt Angle as well, my favourite wrestler of all time now gone, thats just great.

Well at least the Boogeyman is making his return soon:frown:
I see the WWE's problem as follows:

The WWE roster and the strength of its storylines was greatest when WCW was a serious threat: they really built up their rivalries and did innovative, impressive stunts and had superb stables (DX, nation of domination, the ministry of darkness, the corporation).

We're now in a situation where the WWE doesn't HAVE TO do all this, although TNA is a major wrestling promotion and its nearest rival, it has nowhere near the international support or money that WWE has. TNA tries really innovative things, like having PROPER hardcore matches (which the "new breed" of ECW isn't doing) and quality competitive matches and rivalries, but until it is big enough to do weekly shows in major stadia across the US, its not going to compete properly. I really hope TNA keeps growing because then WWE bookers and storyline writers might start to do interesting things for once in the past 5 years!
TNA is not and at this rate will never challenge the WWE. TNA's rosters contains castoffs from WCW and WWE ( Scott steiner, Kevin Nash etc) and has very few genuine stars of their own, with Samoa joe being the obvious exception.

The quality of TNA no where near matches that of WWE ( even though WWE has gone downhill severely) and is based in one place with very little sign of significant growth.

You are right WWE has no competition and so the product is suffering from our perspective. However is the WWE actually making less money then it did in the era we look back longingly at? I do not know?

Even though a lot of people hate John Cena he draws big in terms of merchandise and ratings for ppv's as far as im aware.

for us the WWE didnt replace the stars that left. Austin, Rock were not replaced well ( but how could they be?) and how they feuded with each other. Everyone remembers Austin vs Rock Wrestlemania 17 or HHH vs cactus Jack royal rumble 2000. THe current fueds dont match well and with another of the older guard gone (kurt angle , ) things are not looking good for us.

Does anyone pay for the PPV's ? Did anyone pay for them when they went off sky sports but stopped?
bengal_tiger
TNA is not and at this rate will never challenge the WWE. TNA's rosters contains castoffs from WCW and WWE ( Scott steiner, Kevin Nash etc) and has very few genuine stars of their own, with Samoa joe being the obvious exception.

The quality of TNA no where near matches that of WWE ( even though WWE has gone downhill severely) and is based in one place with very little sign of significant growth.

You are right WWE has no competition and so the product is suffering from our perspective. However is the WWE actually making less money then it did in the era we look back longingly at? I do not know?

Even though a lot of people hate John Cena he draws big in terms of merchandise and ratings for ppv's as far as im aware.

for us the WWE didnt replace the stars that left. Austin, Rock were not replaced well ( but how could they be?) and how they feuded with each other. Everyone remembers Austin vs Rock Wrestlemania 17 or HHH vs cactus Jack royal rumble 2000. THe current fueds dont match well and with another of the older guard gone (kurt angle , ) things are not looking good for us.

Does anyone pay for the PPV's ? Did anyone pay for them when they went off sky sports but stopped?

I agree with what you're saying, but I'm guessing that in 1991-94 nobody would ever have said that WCW could ever challenge the dominance of the WWF, but they nearly put them out of business. WCW relied a lot on WWF cast-offs and has-beens as well (e.g. Hogan, Savage, Luger, Nash, Hall, and so on) just like TNA. I'm not trying to "big up" TNA or anything, I just think its worth accepting that history could repeat itself, and in some ways I hope it does: TNA does things that WWE hasn't got the balls to do (e.g. the barb wire massacre between sabu and abyss, a proper hardcore match between the james gang and team 3D, lethal lockdown, etc) and deserves a shot at getting big. However, until it gets major financial backing, it'll stay where it is. If I was Vince McMahon I would be writing a very large cheque to try and procure the services of Samoa Joe, AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels.

To answer your question, I would guess that financially the WWE is doing much better now because it's monopolised the wrestling market, its like one would expect Coca Cola's profit to soar if Pepsi went bust because then it would be the only major cola company. You're right though, their accounts and profit figures are probably very strong, so there's no need to do anything interesting.

I'm one of those rare people that doesn't dislike John Cena per se, I think he goes out and gives good matches, he's just never had a really great storyline or rivalry, unlike HHH, Rock or Austin. I realise that he's great at putting backsides on seats, mainly people under 14 it has to be said, I don't think though he's as 'electrifying' as HHH, rock and austin. If they could find someone for him to have a huge rivalry with, he could become as big as rock and austin. I think they're trying REALLY hard with his edge rivalry. what with Edge ending up in the river last week and the apparant street fight tonight (whoops, spoiler, sorry). But sorry, his rivalry with edge has never really done it for me. What I find weirdest of all is that what really made john cena popular was his little raps he used to do in the ring on smackdown, yet as soon as he got huge, he stopped doing them, why???

I do pay for some of the PPV's, but not the Smackdown-only PPV's.
I'm a John Cena hater. It is not his fault though. Although most have a limited move set , his is very basic but there have been improvements recently.
His match with Edge at Summerslam was good as was his match with HHH at wrestlemania 22. WWE have tried their best to destroy him with any fans over the age of 14. While having him win like superman every single time appeals to youngsters everyone one else gets annoyed and bored of this very quickly. He hasn’t lost to Edge cleanly yet has he? ( and you cant count New years revolution) He was at his best when he was rapping, he got great heel heat and then face support. It was his gimmick, it got him over. When he dropped it kind of dropped his personality. He's just straight faced now with out any clear distinctions.

With regards to Samoa Joe , I’d fear for him in the WWE. I think they'd have him as a mid carder not realising his potential. It would be disastrous if he became a jobber.

Also do TNA use real barbed wire? WWE now uses rubber tipped barbed wire I think ( Mick Foley's autobiography)

WCW was able to throw money at the problem and claim the likes of Hogan and to their credit they created a watchable product ( NWO etc). TNA doesn’t have that money and with the exception of Sting the cast-offs they picked up are not missed from the WWE. does anybody miss Kevin Nash?

As former midcarders Jeff Jarret and Christian lack the credibility needed to carry the TNA title convincingly. Samoa Joe does, Sting does, possibly AJ Styles? Samoa Joe could be the figurehead they need to carry the company up like Goldberg for WCW.
I watched TNA once the other week, which is once more than I've watched WWE or ECW...
bengal_tiger
I'm a John Cena hater. It is not his fault though. Although most have a limited move set , his is very basic but there have been improvements recently.
His match with Edge at Summerslam was good as was his match with HHH at wrestlemania 22. WWE have tried their best to destroy him with any fans over the age of 14. While having him win like superman every single time appeals to youngsters everyone one else gets annoyed and bored of this very quickly. He hasn’t lost to Edge cleanly yet has he? ( and you cant count New years revolution) He was at his best when he was rapping, he got great heel heat and then face support. It was his gimmick, it got him over. When he dropped it kind of dropped his personality. He's just straight faced now with out any clear distinctions.

With regards to Samoa Joe , I’d fear for him in the WWE. I think they'd have him as a mid carder not realising his potential. It would be disastrous if he became a jobber.

Also do TNA use real barbed wire? WWE now uses rubber tipped barbed wire I think ( Mick Foley's autobiography)

WCW was able to throw money at the problem and claim the likes of Hogan and to their credit they created a watchable product ( NWO etc). TNA doesn’t have that money and with the exception of Sting the cast-offs they picked up are not missed from the WWE. does anybody miss Kevin Nash?

As former midcarders Jeff Jarret and Christian lack the credibility needed to carry the TNA title convincingly. Samoa Joe does, Sting does, possibly AJ Styles? Samoa Joe could be the figurehead they need to carry the company up like Goldberg for WCW.

I think Cena has been making a conscientious effort to improve his move set, you're right.

Regarding Samoa Joe, I think it's unlikely that, if he did come to WWE (which is unlikely in itself) he would become a jobber given what he's done in TNA, but then again, WWE has treated former legitimate ECW champions like absolute crap (e.g. Raven, Justin Credible), Vince may just treat Samoa Joe like a 'plaything', and given that he's created his own 'answer' to Samoa Joe in Umaga (i.e. the somoan bulldozer as opposed to the samoan submission machine), I doubt we'll see Joe in the WWE.

I thought in Foley's biography he said it was WCW that used rubber barb wire, I thought he said WWE used the real stuff, but my memory may be playing up.

To be honest, I do think the WWE produce would be more exciting if it had kept people like Nash and Steiner, just for the sake of having more star names, which it currently lacks severely.
Who does everyone think is the worst wrestler around, in terms of putting together moves and generally screwing up? Basically, who has you screaming at your TV, in old-fashioned ECW style "you f***** up!"

My first nomination is Sabu: he constantly messes up, especially when using tables.

Second nomination is Kane, he just can't tombstone convincingly!

Oooh, another thought: what about Abyss? I've heard a lot of criticism that he's a Kane-meets-Mankind rip-off, what with the mask and being called "the monster"? I think he takes some amazing bumps and does some incredible stunts, and with a big guy who does stuff like that there's always going to be a temptation to promote him as a 'monster'-type character.
I did the People's Elbow on my Brother this evening when I got in from work. Was ace. I also have a recording of him doing the Frog Splash on me on my mobile.

Ace.
dan
I did the People's Elbow on my Brother this evening when I got in from work. Was ace. I also have a recording of him doing the Frog Splash on me on my mobile.

Ace.

Swimming pools are pretty good for wrestling moves. Managed a great chokeslam on my brother, and by the time he'd come back to the surface and he turned round, opened his eyes, and saw me flying through the air having jumped from the side about to clobber him with a big flying Kane clothesline.

Holidays are great...
-- Dan
Swimming pools are pretty good for wrestling moves. Managed a great chokeslam on my brother, and by the time he'd come back to the surface and he turned round, opened his eyes, and saw me flying through the air having jumped from the side about to clobber him with a big flying Kane clothesline.

Holidays are great...

....or you could just leave it to the professionals?
-- Dan

Holidays are great...

Hahahah pmsl. That's ace that.

I just did 3 DDT's on my little brother, I love play fights, even if I am 7 years older than him! Hahaha.
Greyhound02
....or you could just leave it to the professionals?

But that takes the fun out of it :wink:
-- Dan
But that takes the fun out of it :wink:

Hmm ok, but there was a well known case of a kid who got killed when his brother did a jacknife powerbomb on him thru a bed, I know it's only one case, but it makes u think. Anyway, if u do a wrestling move on someone in a pool and they get hurt, the danger is multiplied compared to in a house or on a trampoline etc.
Yeah I can see what you're getting at, but there's one hell of a difference between jumping into a pool and letting your arm catch someone's shoulder as you hit the water, and slamming someone through a bed.

Fair point though, they don't put the 'don't try this at home' warnings up for nothing.
Reply 237
Teehee. A friend of mine always got the Stunner in secondary school. And my uncle always hurt me good with the Crippler Crossface. Owned.
My friends brother in law did the walls of jericho on me and spun me round. Got awful carpet burn...my mum had a fit and wouldn't let me go up there for ages!
A bouncy castle makes the perfect wrestling ring :wink:

Latest