The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
Any thoughts on the ring then?

It doesn't seem to come up on that link, which just redirects to the normal page :frown:

Has Mick been to Liverpool yet? If so, what did you think?
God I miss wrestling so much, wish I was 14 again :frown:
Original post by Mrx123
Wwe raw tonight!!!!!! Rock returns

Cena shook up Rocky

Reply 5683
Does anyone else get really excited when Kane absolutly destroys people like he did on Raw :biggrin:

They need to use him so much better then they have over the years
I thought Rock debunked some of Cena's points last week in his promo, admittedly abit too much on the chants and trending but hey, this Rock of 2011/12 seems to be trying to evolve like all other wrestlers like Undertaker have had to to keep going strong. It's different compared to the flow of chants but I don't it's that bad.

I cringed when Cena said the "S.O.B" line. And it's quite funny how Cena makes out he knows "Dwayne Johnson" and the truth of the matter is, he doesn't. All he has is a third person point of view when he watches Dwayne do interviews for movies, and assume that that is how Rock is aswell. Bottom line, Dwayne/Rock/DJ has an incredible link to the business and I thought the ego-tistical S.O.B line was just so far from the truth. It just seemed like a convinient insult to throw at him, that line would be appropriate for HHH I'd say. But I doubt Cena's got the balls for that.

JR's been tweeting about being uncomfortable with Cena's S.O.B line, and adding fuel whether there is legit heat although I'm not to so sure.

If you go back to Cena-Rock feud, after Cena bashed him in a few interviews, Rock returned in 2009 at the HOF and jabbed at Cena and his movies so I think there was a perception that they were "equal" and I'm sure there was an internet report quoting Cena saying he'd spoken to Rock and they'd sorted it.

However, they probably forgot all that behind the scenes stuff to promote the feud. JR's probably just egging things on. I'd be surprised if even Rock wasn't taken back by the S.O.B comment, it just didn't seem in place at that moment. If Cena wants to call a WWE superstar, an egotistical S.O.B, he can't look to far from the guy on the card facing an opponent for the third time at WM in HIAC.

Rock won that segment, and proved his point with Cena with the latter just coming out, shooting a few "insults" and running to the back rather than staying in the ring and fighting. So much for his "Never Back Down" motto hey John?

I'm edging towards ordering the show rather than make do on a dodgy stream..
Jericho Punk promo was pretty awesome, particularly Jericho.

It was great to see Rock but Cena totally disrupted the flow by interrupting and he just brought the level of mic skills back down. Totally killed the rhythm, then the ending was just an anticlimax when he ran off and Rock just had to do his if you smell line rather then end Raw with those two face to face after dropping a epic line.
Reply 5686
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EawAW0l546E

Always gets my Blood pumping!!
Reply 5687
Cena looked so weak on Raw, but that's only partly the booker's fault. The booker's job is to work with what he's got, and when you take away all the many, many gay jokes, Cena is only left with cheap pops and even talking in the same kinda way.

I hate what WWE have done with the Hell in a Cell. As if it's not bad enough that they've completely destroyed its aura by throwing anyone in it annually, they had Kane and Taker face off in a filler match past their prime, and I fear they're going to do the same with Taker/HHH.

Two HIAC matches years in the making, waited many years too long to make it happen... I hope someone falls, I hope there's an epic moment, but I would still be disappointed if it was Taker that lost.
^I don't care about the streak or the HHH/Taker match. The streak was "dead" a while ago.

Taker wins and goes 20-0 no doubt. But frankly, not too bothered. I think Taker was awesome but I think it's time he called a day.
Reply 5689
Original post by Mrx123
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EawAW0l546E

Always gets my Blood pumping!!

I thought that was WWF for a sec lol.

Haven't watched Wrestling in awhile- used to be a big fan!

The old Kane was epic, as big as ****.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5690
WTF? Someone unsubscribed me to this thread. I thought everyone was so bored that no-one was posting.

If there's one thing to consider about WWE's booking, it's this: for the past few years we've seen Cena, with muscles the size of trucks, beat Khali, Kane, Umaga, make Triple H tap out, fight off HBK for an hour or so etc. yet still think little of him and probably would have a bit of confidence if we had to fight him, because we can't take him too seriously. Miz was champion but I doubt anyone would be scared to fight him.

In 2000, a very overweight, old hobo with bad hair and a bad shirt called Mick Foley wrestled Triple H, who looked like this:

And we expected Mick to win.

That's how you book right.

Original post by thunder_chunky
I'm not sure if this has been posted here but it's worth seeing again. The 41 man Royal Rumble. Pretty epic:

I almost lol'd, because Teddy Long has a FETISH for over-the-top-rope battle royals. if there's ever a problem on SmackDown, it's solved with either an over-the-top-rope battle royal or a match with... THE UNDERTAKER.

(Did I just hear "JTG"? How long is he going to hold on to his job and keep getting paid?)

Original post by TheMagicRat
Agreed. On paper it's looking like the best WM since WM17.

Steady now. It's incredibly to see the most recent thing as better. Wait a few years and see if you agree with yourself, on paper.

Original post by Mrx123
Does anyone else get really excited when Kane absolutly destroys people like he did on Raw :biggrin:

They need to use him so much better then they have over the years

There are too many factors going against him. First is he's too fat and old now. You can look at him and see he's a big son of a bitch, but then look at attitude era videos, or post-draft shows. Kane was a TANK. VERY scary to look at. One of the biggest guys on the roster. Even with a full body suit, you still see a bit of a double chin, and he just isn't muscular now. He doesn't even have biceps.

He's been around for years too, and obviously creative don't know what to do with him to keep him a monster. They made him a comedy act, bu ever since have had nothing new for him. Even when new writers come in, they simply do what the old writers did because that's all you can really do.

Then there's Kane's attitude itself, which is that he wants to put people over now, has done for a few years now.

So he's getting older, fatter, tired and isn't bothered about being a 'winner'. Nice guy, mind.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5691
Original post by nonotrly
Then there's Kane's attitude itself, which is that he wants to put people over now, has done for a few years now.

So long as his putting people over consists of him beating the **** out of people until someone beats him in an epic match then it's all good surely?
Reply 5692
Original post by kingme
So long as his putting people over consists of him beating the **** out of people until someone beats him in an epic match then it's all good surely?

As always, if booked properly. It just seems for some time now WWE writers have decided at random points that they're gonna have Kane be a monster for a bit, come to the ring chokeslam a couple of up-and-comers every few weeks, have him beaten then wait another few months. At least back in the days of real booking, when Kane was attacking people he was specifically attacking them for a reason, usually an ongoing feud. That's another word missing today - 'ongoing'.
Reply 5693
Original post by nonotrly
As always, if booked properly. It just seems for some time now WWE writers have decided at random points that they're gonna have Kane be a monster for a bit, come to the ring chokeslam a couple of up-and-comers every few weeks, have him beaten then wait another few months. At least back in the days of real booking, when Kane was attacking people he was specifically attacking them for a reason, usually an ongoing feud. That's another word missing today - 'ongoing'.

Boom.

It's a rare thing for a story to extend between two PPVs :frown:
Reply 5694
Original post by kingme
Boom.

It's a rare thing for a story to extend between two PPVs :frown:

WWE need to space out the PPVs properly and allow feuds to go on for a while if it suits, but they also badly need to end the brands now. The roster is watered down and they'd effectively half the cheaper end of their wage bill by putting them back together now.

Before it was just bad business, now it doesn't even make sense because Raw is already there, and they're just shooting Smackdown in the foot by branding it the minor leagues. In fact, it makes no sense whatsoever, if you think Raw is your moneymaker, to have Smackdown be the one that has TWO shows while Raw has one!
Original post by Introvert2020
It doesn't seem to come up on that link, which just redirects to the normal page :frown:

Has Mick been to Liverpool yet? If so, what did you think?

In Liverpool right now. Just met him what a legend. Signed my copy of Have a Nice Day and a Wanted Cactus Jack T-shirt. He asked if he could borrow my Sharpie as his ran out. I said he could keep it come on not every day you can say you gave a wrestling legend your marker is it? He said he'll look out for me during the show. He might even speak to me on stage I'm in the rows near to the stage so I might get lucky and he'll spot me I hope.
Reply 5696
WM28 is shapin up to be a great PPV :biggrin:
Wonder if they'll induct Macho Man into the HOF this year?
Reply 5698
The card for WM is looking awesome although i am extremely dissapointed that Randy Orton Will face kane!!!! like wtf is vince Highh??? why don't two blobs like the big show and kane face eachother and let orton face rhodes or even add orton to the title bout between sheamus and dainel bryan. Kane has been involved in some of the worst ever feuds and i don't really see an intriguing storyline involving him and orton leading to WM either and even if the storyline is great the match itself is setting itself up to be an expected dissapointment a big waste if you ask me, Kane needs to retire if he is not being utilised correctly
Original post by Aky786UK
I thought Rock debunked some of Cena's points last week in his promo, admittedly abit too much on the chants and trending but hey, this Rock of 2011/12 seems to be trying to evolve like all other wrestlers like Undertaker have had to to keep going strong. It's different compared to the flow of chants but I don't it's that bad.

I cringed when Cena said the "S.O.B" line. And it's quite funny how Cena makes out he knows "Dwayne Johnson" and the truth of the matter is, he doesn't. All he has is a third person point of view when he watches Dwayne do interviews for movies, and assume that that is how Rock is aswell. Bottom line, Dwayne/Rock/DJ has an incredible link to the business and I thought the ego-tistical S.O.B line was just so far from the truth. It just seemed like a convinient insult to throw at him, that line would be appropriate for HHH I'd say. But I doubt Cena's got the balls for that.

JR's been tweeting about being uncomfortable with Cena's S.O.B line, and adding fuel whether there is legit heat although I'm not to so sure.

If you go back to Cena-Rock feud, after Cena bashed him in a few interviews, Rock returned in 2009 at the HOF and jabbed at Cena and his movies so I think there was a perception that they were "equal" and I'm sure there was an internet report quoting Cena saying he'd spoken to Rock and they'd sorted it.

However, they probably forgot all that behind the scenes stuff to promote the feud. JR's probably just egging things on. I'd be surprised if even Rock wasn't taken back by the S.O.B comment, it just didn't seem in place at that moment. If Cena wants to call a WWE superstar, an egotistical S.O.B, he can't look to far from the guy on the card facing an opponent for the third time at WM in HIAC.

Rock won that segment, and proved his point with Cena with the latter just coming out, shooting a few "insults" and running to the back rather than staying in the ring and fighting. So much for his "Never Back Down" motto hey John?

I'm edging towards ordering the show rather than make do on a dodgy stream..

I thought Cena actually made his point really well. Rock's meant to, from his POV at least, be this Hollywood guy who sold out and now only comes back to promote movies. So while Rock spends 20 minutes(15 of which are just random catch phrases) Cena comes out, says what he needs to(Dwayne is egoistical and selfish) and leaves without any fanfare. Cena had far more impact in advancing the storyline this week in 5 mins than Rock in 20, and underlined his point by telling Rock to "keep trending". As for winning the segment, Rock seemed genuinely rattled with the wrist notes shot and it will be interesting to see if he drops the boring 20 minute long chant trending he's done for the past 6 months and starts to shoot on Cena more like he talked about Cena being a stale character that hasn't changed at all.

Latest