The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IanDangerously
logical booking and good announcing.

The hell?

The booking (and business practises) of TNA are... infamous, but the announcing is something else. Tazz is top quality, one of the best surprisingly, but Tenay is horrendous, he is and always has been far too literal, describing everything that's going on like we're blind and dumb.

"Anderson goes for the clothesline, Kurt ducks, Anderson with the mic check! He makes the cover... but there's no referee! It... It's Matt Morgan! Matt Morgan has a chair! Matt Morgan just hit Anderson with the chair! Morgan hit Anderson with the chair! Oh and he throws it away! And now he's going over to Angle and draping his arm over Anderson! And there goes Morgan, after hitting Anderson with the chair.

The ref's crawling over! One... two... three. Kurt Angle wins with the three! blahblahblahblahblahblahblah"

Teamed with Don West, it was mind-numbing to the point of tears.

I don't know if they still do it but, in the Don West era, TNA have used tight scripts for the announcers. They just read from the pages.
Original post by TheMagicRat

I might check it out later in the week then. What was the card?

Austin Aries vs Samoa Joe (X-Division Title)
Kid Kash vs Hernandez
Garret Bischoff & D'Von vs Robbie E & Robbie T
Brooke Tessmacher vs Gail Kim (Knockouts Title)
Bully Ray vs Joseph Park
Crimson vs James Storm
Jeff Hardy vs Mr Anderson vs Rob Van Dam (#1 Contenders' Match)
Kurt Angle & AJ Styles vs Kazarian & Chris Daniels (Tag Team Titles)
Sting vs Bobby Roode (World Championship)

Joe/Aries and the tag title match were phenomenal, the 3 way for the contendership was a really fun match and the main event was good as well. Everything else was decent, its well worth checking out I think. :smile:

Original post by TrulyEpicLawls
The hell?

The booking (and business practises) of TNA are... infamous, but the announcing is something else. Tazz is top quality, one of the best surprisingly, but Tenay is horrendous, he is and always has been far too literal, describing everything that's going on like we're blind and dumb.

"Anderson goes for the clothesline, Kurt ducks, Anderson with the mic check! He makes the cover... but there's no referee! It... It's Matt Morgan! Matt Morgan has a chair! Matt Morgan just hit Anderson with the chair! Morgan hit Anderson with the chair! Oh and he throws it away! And now he's going over to Angle and draping his arm over Anderson! And there goes Morgan, after hitting Anderson with the chair.

The ref's crawling over! One... two... three. Kurt Angle wins with the three! blahblahblahblahblahblahblah"

Teamed with Don West, it was mind-numbing to the point of tears.

I don't know if they still do it but, in the Don West era, TNA have used tight scripts for the announcers. They just read from the pages.

Believe it or not, TNA are the most logically booked wrestling company on tv these days. They've got rid of Vince Russo and arent as obsessed with overscripting everything. There was only one screwy finish in nine matches last night and it made sense. Mike Tenay and Tazz are actually a good announce team when they have decent wrestling to call and not all angles.

Telling the fans whats going on is the definition of play-by-play announcing, I'd rather that than someone like Michael Cole who just gives exposition and talks about WWE's lame and illogical storylines whilst two guys are trying to wrestle in the ring.
Believe it or not, TNA are the most logically booked wrestling company on tv these days. They've got rid of Vince Russo and arent as obsessed with overscripting everything. There was only one screwy finish in nine matches last night and it made sense. Mike Tenay and Tazz are actually a good announce team when they have decent wrestling to call and not all angles.

Telling the fans whats going on is the definition of play-by-play announcing, I'd rather that than someone like Michael Cole who just gives exposition and talks about WWE's lame and illogical storylines whilst two guys are trying to wrestle in the ring.

Ah, the old TNA "WWE do it too/at least it's better than WWE" argument. Freud would have a field day with that oft-used rebuttal.

Vince Russo wasn't the problem, Tenay and Tazz would probably be better if they had all angles to do commentary on because then Tenay would have less chance of being literal, and that is NOT how play-by-play commentary is done.
Ah, the old TNA "WWE do it too/at least it's better than WWE" argument. Freud would have a field day with that oft-used rebuttal.

Vince Russo wasn't the problem, Tenay and Tazz would probably be better if they had all angles to do commentary on because then Tenay would have less chance of being literal, and that is NOT how play-by-play commentary is done.

Russo was absolutely the problem, you only had to look at the product they put out to see his hallmarks stamped all over it. Swerves for the sake of swerves, overly contrived finishes with multiple ref bumps and run ins, heel/face turns every other week, treating women as sex toys, "hidden" camera bits, racist storylines etc etc. Since he left TNA has shown a lot more continuity in its storytelling and allows things time to sink in on screen rather than being all crash TV and running through the show at 110 miles an hour.

I never used to like TNA but I'm so disgusted at having my intelligence insulted by WWE's fourth rate Austin/McMahon ripoff on Monday nights that I'm looking for any alternative now.
Vince Mac is coming back to Raw. This certainly opens a window of opportunity to really dig in and give us a surprise. The last four weeks have been terrible for WWE live television. Both Smackdown and Raw have not produced anything special except for the occasional D-Bry and Punk matches as well as Ziggler and Sheamus.

Today's Raw needs a twist in the tale. Laurinitis being evaluated doesn't help creatives put him over nor doing things like putting Long to Smackdown. If they want JL to be taken seriously, we need to see him dominating.

Plus, this is a chance for the HHH and Lesnar angle to re-open and build. Since Vince would be returning to Raw, there might be an update on how HHH is doing and what's going to happen. Maybe HHH might return himself and receive a huge pop. Raw needs this. Quickly.

Sheamus as World Champ? I know we have to accept the fact that he's the second top babyface now in the WWE but I can't take him seriously. He's missing that charisma - he can talk and fight alright. Why should we take him seriously? He's hasn't highlighted himself out of the roster. The only time he's ever been great was during his days as king of the ring champ and a heel. He had great feuds with people like Orton and Cena.

Thoughts?
Russo was absolutely the problem, you only had to look at the product they put out to see his hallmarks stamped all over it. Swerves for the sake of swerves, overly contrived finishes with multiple ref bumps and run ins, heel/face turns every other week, treating women as sex toys, "hidden" camera bits, racist storylines etc etc. Since he left TNA has shown a lot more continuity in its storytelling and allows things time to sink in on screen rather than being all crash TV and running through the show at 110 miles an hour.

Running the show at 110mph? They had literally 10 minutes of wrestling per show at times.
Vader time!
OK here's my predictions for No Way Out:

Brodus Clay v David Otunga; Brodus Clay will win yet again and is on a bit of a streak only a matter of time before him and Ryback cross paths?

Christian v Cody Rhodes; difficult to call but I think Christian will edge this and the feud will continue for some time yet. Christian's only just returned and it would be silly to only have him hold the belt for a few weeks and then drop it so soon afterwards.

Sheamus v Dolph Ziggler; Sheamus for sure. Why? He's a popular face atm and this streak will go on for some time. On top of that I see this match marking the end of the Ziggler and Swagger alliance especially after Ziggler pinned Swagger the other night on Raw. For that reason I see Swagger returning the favour by interfering in the match and costing Ziggler the win which will lead to a mini-feud between Ziggler and Swagger.

CM Punk v Kane v Daniel Bryan; another tricky one to call but I think Punk will win with Kane being pinned and this will be all to do with AJ. I think AJ will try to charm Kane again and Kane gets sucked in (literally) give Punk the chance to apply the GTS. I also think she will get back at Daniel Bryan by slapping or low blowing him. Expect this rivalry to continue way into Sumer Slam and perhaps for Punk and AJ to be a bit more "couple-like".

John Cena v Big Show; I'm confident it will be the Big Show mainly due to the little rant Cena gave about Big Show having nowhere to go if he loses. And here's the sting in the tail......Cena will be screwed over in this match by none other than his cornerman yes Mr McMahon.

come on you tell me since when was Vince McMahon ever the good guy? He's had his nice moments sure but he thrives on being the mean old boss and just over a year ago he was out for Cena's blood when he "disgraced" the WWE by losing the title to the ranting CM Punk who threatened to "leave" with the WWE title. McMahon has never hidden his dislike of Cena and this will come out in full show. Perhaps something along the lines of the night before Laurinitis and Big show joined the kiss my ass club and how Vince has come back to assert his control on WWE with Johnny Ace as his number two and Big Show as his chief wrecking machine. This will then launch a feud between this "new corporation" and the good guys lik Cena and Sheamus led by none other than Triple H. I bet this will all come to a head at Survivor Series with the tradition SS match pitting members of this team vince/johnny against tripl h for full control of the wwe and finally the good guys win. At that point the feud will have been done to death, the slate wiped clean and we go into 2013 looking for a new rising star etc.
Christian appeared on TNA as part of their big anniversary thing. He was there as part of the deal that allowed Ric Flair to appear at the WWE Hall of Fame. Reportedly, Christian didn't want to make the TNA appearence, but was told by WWE that the Four Horsemen hinged on it.

I feel Dixie missed an opportunity to do something more with WWE's request for Flair, but then Dixie likes to miss opportunities.

She passed up WWE allowing TNA to advertise Christian's appearance with TV ads, in favour of hinting at it on Twitter...
I'd love a few big factions to be formed in wwe, like in the 90's, they've got a chance with this whole johnny angle, maybe have hhh return with shaun michaels as a surprise or something, it's an interesting storyline that they really could make excellent.
Am I the only one who thinks Beth Phoenix is the hottest female wrestler of all time? Her and Victoria/Tara, Gail Kim, Trish Stratus, Mickie James, Ivory, Kelly Kelly and Natalya.
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
Am I the only one who thinks Beth Phoenix is the hottest female wrestler of all time? Her and Victoria/Tara, Gail Kim, Trish Stratus, Mickie James, Ivory, Kelly Kelly and Natalya.

1. Stacy
2. Mickie
3. Dawn Marie
Original post by Colbert
1. Stacy
2. Mickie
3. Dawn Marie

Stac(e)y badly needs a sandwich.

Mickie with pigtails is ultimate sluttery.
Stac(e)y badly needs a sandwich.

Mickie with pigtails is ultimate sluttery.

Mickie probably is #1 tbf but was watching old clips last night of the end of WCW and Stacey looked rather splendid as everything crumbled around her :fan:
But look at Beth's breasts they're huge!!!!!

Also I just saw some nude pics of Gail Kim that she did for a shoot in Korea :drool:
wwe is awesome! My top 10 current favarate wrestlers are:

1)Daniel Bryan
2) John Cena
3) Alex Riley
4) The Miz
5) Drew McIntyre

Also my wwe summerslam matchcard predictions are:

sheamus vs randy orton-world title
cm punk vs daniel bryan-wwe title 60 min iron man match
john cena vs lord tensai-japanese deathmatch
michael cole vs booker-t
cody rhodes vs jerry 'the king' lawler-IC title
big show vs brodus clay
dolph ziggler vs jack swagger
kingston & truth vs the primetime players
and.... Triple H vs Brock Lesnar
santino vs damien sandow-us title
kane vs christianvs sin cara vs the miz
[QUOTE="deipnosophy;11330001"]Raw was ok, though tbh the main two feuds for Mania (HHH/Orton/Cena and Taker/Edge) have gotten off to pretty dismal starts, I mean any idiot can book tag matches and confrontations. I thought the Edge/Taker thing on Smackdown last week was just awful. I thought that what they were doing on Raw was having HHH dominant last week, Orton this week and Cena next, but despite standing tall at Raw's opening, Orton wasn't to be seen at the end. We know they don't like each other, let's have something a bit fresher. If that's possible lol.

I really enjoyed the Flair/HBK segment and I am very much looking forward to the match. I'm a sucker for long matches, and I would love Vince to give this 30 mins. Flair can go that long and we know HBK performs at the very top of his game at Mania. I'm sure Flair would want to go out on a real high in a classic.

Hmm, I wonder who Umaga's opponent will be? It's so hard to predict. Animal unleashed I assume. I don't agree with how they're using Batista but as long as he wins I'll settle for it.

The JBL/McMahon thing was a bit boring, yea the storyline fits etc but it wasn't done well. Plus the crowd was dead for it.[/QUOTE

This was near wrestlemania 24, yes because previously Flair had defeated Mr.Kennedy at No way Out 2008. also R.I.P Umage-he was one of the most powerful henchman in the wwe, and batista really needs to come back-so does Jeff Hardy
My brain hurts.
Reply 6358
4 and a half hours till No Way Out!

Can't wait to be honest , I hope John Cena teaches Big Show a bloody lesson!
The best match of the night in terms of pure wrestling will be Christian vs Rhodes

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Latest