The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6480
Original post by Scott129
I don't know what the hell's going on with Punk atm. I've never been a fan but I'm starting to really dislike him. The crowd's reaction to him is annoying me as well. They cheer like crazy when he comes out but as soon as he mentions beating up Lawler, they boo him. And Sheamus, who they cheered for mere moments ago, they boo the f**k out of when he starts talking to Punk. I don't know whether WWE wants the fans to dislike Punk or not.

They only cheer him because he is from Chicago which is were it is tonight but I too really dislike when he becomes a heel.
I don't know what the hell's going on with Punk atm. I've never been a fan but I'm starting to really dislike him. The crowd's reaction to him is annoying me as well. They cheer like crazy when he comes out but as soon as he mentions beating up Lawler, they boo him. And Sheamus, who they cheered for mere moments ago, they boo the f**k out of when he starts talking to Punk. I don't know whether WWE wants the fans to dislike Punk or not.

It's just the Chicago effect. They were booing Lawler when he was mentioned, not Punk. Anyone who goes against Punk will be booed by a Chicago crowd.

I like it and it seems to be quite recent phenomenon that the line between good and bad has been blurred. On the one hand Punk's actions are extremely questionable but, on the other hand, what he's says is probably what most fans are thinking. He does deserve more respect, especially since he never main events PPVs despite being the champion for so long.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
It's just the Chicago effect. They were booing Lawler when he was mentioned, not Punk. Anyone who goes against Punk will be booed by a Chicago crowd.

Ah, that makes sense, I didn't really take note of where it was. Still not a massive fan of this heel turn though.
Reply 6485
Parents were moving some stuff around and we found loads of old video tapes and nearly all of them had wrestling on it :lol: ( my dad used to record the shows at night for me and I'd watch them in the morning). Felt pretty nostalgic.
Reply 6486
Original post by cab12
They only cheer him because he is from Chicago which is were it is tonight but I too really dislike when he becomes a heel.

He's doing his job right then. You're not suppose to like heels.
OMG did anyone just hear what happened to Jerry Lawler? It's not a joke/stunt either, I hope he's ok.
Reply 6488
Yeah just heard he's receiving CPR backstage :frown:
Really? I haven't been watching tonight because of the tennis. I hope he's alright. Doesn't sound too good though if he's had to have CPR.
Original post by TheMagicRat
Really? I haven't been watching tonight because of the tennis. I hope he's alright. Doesn't sound too good though if he's had to have CPR.

In hospital now, apparently breathing on his own. No more commentary in respect of Lawler tonight.
Hope Lawler is going to be ok!
Reply 6492
Original post by Kenan and Kel
In hospital now, apparently breathing on his own. No more commentary in respect of Lawler tonight.

very random question but why do you have Chris Benoit in your sig btw?
Original post by Deshi
very random question but why do you have Chris Benoit in your sig btw?

I know it's controversial, but that was still one of the happiest times I've ever felt as a wrestling fan
Was really sad too see Lawler collapse. Another person i have to praise is Michael Cole who conducted himself brilliantly in the situation, tried to keep in character but showed compassion and tears in his eyes. Hope Lawler recovers and stops wrestling so much.
The bandwagon praise will go to Michael Cole, but special praise should go to the wrestlers and ref in the ring who kept the match going to completion despite the massive distraction.

I saw a dumb Orton pose picture and amused myself...

Reply 6496
I think a lot of praise should be aimed to the whole of the show but especially those on air at the time. But I think it shows just how good of a broadcaster Michael Cole is. He was able to continue with the show despite having a traumatic event happening to one if his friends right next to him.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Predictions anyone?

Battle Royale for the US Title shot - Zack Ryder

Antonio Cesaro (US Champ) vs Zack Ryder - Antonio Cesaro

Randy Orton vs Dolph Ziggler - Dolph Ziggler, reckon this will open the show, for one key reason.

Tag Team Match - Team Friendship (Kane and Daniel Bryan)

IC Title Match - The Miz, pinning Mysterio.

Layla (Divas Champ) vs Kaitlyn - Layla

CM Punk (WWE Champ) vs John Cena - CM Punk, via Heyman assist, makes sense.

Sheamus (WHC) vs Alberto Del Rio - Sheamus, with a suspicion that Ziggler will cash-in the briefcase.
Night of Champions looks awful. Here's my predictions, anyway:

Battle Royal - Not sure who'll win but it'll be a midcard face for obvious reasons, Ryder definitely one of the frontrunners.

Cesaro vs. Battle Royal winner - Cesaro to retain, probably via cheating (the age-old "attractive valet interference").

Orton vs. Ziggler - Ziggler, thus consolidating his main event status. Orton's off to film a movie apparently.

Tag Titles - Kane and Bryan, and there goes the Prime Time Player's career in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1....

Divas title - Layla. Can see Eve getting involved.

Punk vs. Cena - Cena by DQ, as I predicted for Summerslam. If not, the Heyman interference makes sense. Cena will have a series of near-misses on the title until WrestleMania 29.

Sheamus vs. Del Rio - Sheamus via submission with his new super-weak cloverleaf submission. I could also see a Ziggler cash-in, and if it does happen I think it'll happen after a beat-down on Sheamus by Wade Barrett, kicking off a feud between them that will last until WM.

The only interesting prediction is who'll be commentating with Michael Cole. Mathews? Striker? Regal? JBL? Foley? I think, even if it does give us two play-by-play announcers, we might see Jim Ross standing in.

Otherwise, I haven't been less interested in a WWE PPV since I started watching again (last December).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Introvert2020
Night of Champions looks awful. Here's my predictions, anyway:

Battle Royal - Not sure who'll win but it'll be a midcard face for obvious reasons, Ryder definitely one of the frontrunners.

Cesaro vs. Battle Royal winner - Cesaro to retain, probably via cheating (the age-old "attractive valet interference").

Orton vs. Ziggler - Ziggler, thus consolidating his main event status. Orton's off to film a movie apparently.

Tag Titles - Kane and Bryan, and there goes the Prime Time Player's career in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1....

Divas title - Layla. Can see Eve getting involved.

Punk vs. Cena - Cena by DQ, as I predicted for Summerslam. If not, the Heyman interference makes sense. Cena will have a series of near-misses on the title until WrestleMania 29.

Sheamus vs. Del Rio - Sheamus via submission with his new super-weak cloverleaf submission. I could also see a Ziggler cash-in, and if it does happen I think it'll happen after a beat-down on Sheamus by Wade Barrett, kicking off a feud between them that will last until WM.

The only interesting prediction is who'll be commentating with Michael Cole. Mathews? Striker? Regal? JBL? Foley? I think, even if it does give us two play-by-play announcers, we might see Jim Ross standing in.

Otherwise, I haven't been less interested in a WWE PPV since I started watching again (last December).

Personally think it'll be Del Rio winning the title after Sheamus uses the BK and is stripped of title, leaving Del Rio clean out thus giving Ziggler the perfect opportunity for a cash-in.

Latest