Carnatic halls

Hiya could somebody please rate the Carnatic halls
Nice rooms to worse
Most sociable to least
and overall thanks
:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not got loads of info on the halls but from what my friends tell me...

Lady Mountford is the worst :redface:S the students there are very rowdy and they're always breaking windows etc.

Morton House...same price as Lady Mountford but much nicer.

Rankin, rooms are OK. But they haven't been updated in a long time (the desk is actually just a table, few plug points etc) and they have bare brick walls.

Dale is very nice, good atmosphere. One of my mates lives there and loves it. Not as nice as McNair, which definately has the most friendly people! McNair rooms are a bit on the small size and there's lots of wood. But they're alright...nice desk space etc. I don't know anyone at Salisbury though.

Carnatic is very socialable in general so wherever you go, you'll have no probs!
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
you refer to what the students are like in some halls but surely that will change next year and Lady Mountford may end up with all quiet people and McNair may have all horrible unsociable people.
Reply 3
viper_3
Hiya could somebody please rate the Carnatic halls
Nice rooms to worse
Most sociable to least
and overall thanks
:biggrin:

Obviously - the social life of each of the halls varies from year to year depending on the students who live there.

Dale has the best rooms and most of the facilities are in Dale Hall (study room, games room etc.. - although they are available to all Carnatic students)

Salisbury and McNair room are the next best.

Morton and Lady Mountford rooms I would say were next.

Rankin rooms I would say were the worst (and I did live there!)

Having said that I had a great year and the room didn't really matter that much.

The most important thing is the people you live with - sadly you cannot do anything to predict who they may be.
Reply 4
anyone got any other info on Dale? I thought it sounded ok but some people have really bad things to say about it!

thanks
Reply 5
my mate has been in dale this year, and shes absolutely loved it! i stayed with her and thought it seemed really nice too, nice atmosphere! iv just put it as my first choice and i really hope i get a room there!! (providing i get the grades hehe!)
hope that helps!
Reply 6
StillUndecided
you refer to what the students are like in some halls but surely that will change next year and Lady Mountford may end up with all quiet people and McNair may have all horrible unsociable people.

I do refer to the people, but from what I hear, Lady Mountford is one of the worst kept halls. Obviously it might change year to year and this is what I have heard/seen this year. Before I came to Liverpool though, a friend recommended McNair to be the hall with the best atmosphere. She also said medicine students tend to go for Greenbank halls and that they are quieter and less sociable than Carnatic, which I have found to be true.
Reply 7
hailz88 - thanks!!

does anyone know what the food is like in dale and mcnair and how many people share a shower/toilet? or which specific block has the least people sharing them?

thanks alot x
Reply 8
No idea about food...someone else will have to advise you about that. Dale - 2 people share a bath I believe. Not sure about McNair, check the uni website. They have stats about each hall. As for which block has the least sharing...I think it's the same across Dale and I'm unsure about McNair.
Reply 9
There is one canteen for the whole of Carnatic halls - so there is no variation in the food you get between the individual halls.

As said Dale has one bathroom between 2. It has baths(not showers).

McNair has about 3 showers between 15 depending on the block.
Reply 10
Ah yeah, I forgot that Carnatic had one dining hall.
Reply 11
Salisbury's cleanest, half of its birds only but its quite sociable, mcnair's about the same but more boys, dale's more sociable cos u share bathrooms. note: not always a good thing- if you're sharer pukes allover the bathroom you can't just choose another one on your corridor like you can in the carnatics. in my experience here's never a queue for any of the communal ablutions and they're fairly clean apart from any of the baths in halls- they're mingin. Rankin has great camararderie but looks like a prison and a lot oof the students behave like inmates!!
Reply 12
the food at carnatic is meant to be worse than D&R, so that's bad. And also the queues are meant to be really long for dinner too.

Choose D&R - it's the best! :smile:
Reply 13
lol....have to agree with you there.
Reply 14
Don't eat the Carnatic food! Is that old **** Stan still working in the canteen?!?
Carnatic Halls are all a bit scabby, but they're so much fun. Rankin (where I lived) has no plaster on its walls and the windows don't open, but I'd so go back there again.
Don't live in Greenbank - it's full of stuck up daddy's girls/boys.
i live in mcnair and its great! The food is a bit crap and the queues are long, particularly at the beginning of the year when people havent settled into a routine and all go to dinner at the same time - sometimes we waited 40 mins in the dinner queue! The food varies. Sometimes its crap, sometimes it's beyond crap and sometimes it can be alright. The atmosphere is great though, especially around highly anticipated times like Christmas, at the beginning of term, exam results day, summer ball and guest nights. McNair seems to be the best for furniture - the desks and drawers were all new this year apparantly, where as some of the other halls have older, more rundown furniture like Rankin, as someone said which does indeed have an old manky table as a desk - although they do have shelves! Morton and Lady Mountford are alrite i supose - their blocks are set out differently which makes them more sociable. The downsides to them halls however are the lack of sinks in rooms and they have smaller rooms. As far as McNairs bathroom situation is, there are 3 different blocks in McNair. Each block has 3 floors. Each floor is set out like a square. There are are 21 study rooms in the square - 3 of these rooms are taken up by the floor tutor, who is there to help if there are any problems during the year, and the other 18 rooms are for students. For these people, there are 4 toilets (2 on each side), 4 showers (2 on each side) and 2 baths (which no one everrrr uses!). The upside is that if there is a mingin shower, then there are 3 others to choose from. The downside is that they hardly ever get cleaned! I've never had to wait for a toilet or a shower though, bar guest night when everyone is going to the same place at the same time, and for some strange reason everyone was wanting showers @ the same time! Anyways, any questions - just post them and im sure someone will reply!
Reply 16
Claire84
Don't eat the Carnatic food! Is that old **** Stan still working in the canteen?!?
Carnatic Halls are all a bit scabby, but they're so much fun. Rankin (where I lived) has no plaster on its walls and the windows don't open, but I'd so go back there again.
Don't live in Greenbank - it's full of stuck up daddy's girls/boys.

lol...I live in Greenbank and I'm not stuck up! My family come from a poor background and I know a few working class people at Greenbank. But I'd agree that MOST of the people at R n G (not D n R) are stuck up.
Reply 17
I'm Greenbank and I'm a spoilt rich boy with a 10-bedroomed house, 20 acres and a swimming pool, however I'm not stuck up [IMO]. I don't know many people that are, and those types are always best avoided innit.
Reply 18
Yeah there's a difference between having money and being stuck up.
Reply 19
I live right by Carnatic halls,,, if you need any info on them&the area, then drop me a message!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending