The Student Room Group

Sound wave's and distance

How is the distance a sound wave can travel affected by characteristics such as (amplitude

and frequency) ?
Reply 1
The louder it is the further it will go as it has more energy, think same applies for frequencies but not sure
Original post by KKP109
How is the distance a sound wave can travel affected by characteristics such as (amplitude

and frequency) ?

For amplitude, think about how the energy of the sound wave at the source and its propagation through a medium is dissipated.

For frequency, think first about the velocity of the sound and how the density and the absorption properties of the medium the sound travels through affects this. Then relate that to the wavelength and frequency.
Reply 3
thats not really helped me ;(
Original post by KKP109
thats not really helped me ;(

What are you having trouble with that is not explained in your textbooks or concepts you don't understand?
Reply 5
We' dont have textbooks its a vocational course. I just need to know how the distance sound waves can travel can be affected by things such as frequency and amplitude (e.g adujusting frequency)
Original post by KKP109
We' dont have textbooks its a vocational course. I just need to know how the distance sound waves can travel can be affected by things such as frequency and amplitude (e.g adujusting frequency)

Sound will propagate outwards like a ripple on a pond.
the original energy density at the source will therefore get less as it travels further out. i.e. same energy spread over a larger area.

The medium the sound travels through will eventually scatter and absorb the sound as it is converted to heat. The amplitude is a measure of the original energy, so increasing amplitude means the wave will travel further before all being absorbed.

The absorption properties of the medium the wave travels in vary as a function of frequency. Lower frequencies are more directional and will disperse less and be absorbed less than higher frequencies. So low frequency sounds will travel further.

The velocity of sound in the medium is a function of it's density. The higher the density the faster it will travel meaning the wavelength of any given frequency will increase with density.

Try this nifty calculator: http://sengpielaudio.com/calculator-air.htm

Quick Reply

Latest