The Student Room Group

Job sites: where can I upload my CV? And what's the legal minimum wage?

just came to London a few weeks ago, have 2 interviews on Tuesday, but just in case they don't work out (or I choose not to take any of them) :
which internet sites are good for uploading your cv and looking for work?

I'm mainly looking for receptionist work, café ass., shop ass. chambermaid (live out) jobs....

Also, does anybody know what it pays PH to work in a food outlet in BBC White City?? (that's one of my interviews.... just wanna be prepared, cos last week I found a job and it only paid £160 per week (working from 7am-4pm 5 days a week! which is a REEEALYY ****ty pay... of course I didn't take it! :p: )

Can I find the legal minimum wage anywhere on the net?
You should probably post this in the Careers Forum
Reply 2
musicdreamer
You should probably post this in the Careers Forum

riiiight.... didn't notice that forum... I'll do that, thanks...

(didn't realise you can't use naughty words in here!! Jeeez, how American! )
Reply 3
The minimum wage varies depending how old you are. I imagine for the £160 a week job, you would have an hours unpaid lunch making it an 8 hour working day, so that would be £4 an hour, which I think is the minimum wage for some ages.
Reply 4
Charleigh
just came to London a few weeks ago, have 2 interviews on Tuesday, but just in case they don't work out (or I choose not to take any of them) :
which internet sites are good for uploading your cv and looking for work?

I'm mainly looking for receptionist work, café ass., shop ass. chambermaid (live out) jobs....

Also, does anybody know what it pays PH to work in a food outlet in BBC White City?? (that's one of my interviews.... just wanna be prepared, cos last week I found a job and it only paid £160 per week (working from 7am-4pm 5 days a week! which is a REEEALYY ****ty pay... of course I didn't take it! :p: )

Can I find the legal minimum wage anywhere on the net?

you dont need to worry about the lgal minimum wage as they'll pay you it no matter what. Goto www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk and you can search for jobs on there, or goto www.gumtree.com
You can upload your CV onto monster.co.uk...and they are good...
There are three levels of minimum wage, and the rates from 1st October 2005 are:

£5.05 per hour for workers aged 22 years and older
A development rate of £4.25 per hour for
workers aged 18 - 21 years inclusive
workers aged 22 years and above, starting a new job with a new employer and doing accredited training*
3.00 per hour which applies to all workers under the age of 18 who are no longer of compulsory school age.

(Taken from here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nmw/nmw_abou.htm )
Reply 7
It depends on your age, have a look here for full details of the minimum wage

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nmw/nmw_abou.htm
Reply 8
Dont settle for minimum wage, alot of companies will pay you more than the minimum, even if you are 16.

I worked at the duty free shop and at 18 they pay you more than the minimum wage, they pay about £5.50/hr whereas a well known hamburger place may pay you £3.60/hr and they treat you like a slave on how much work they give you and try to give you 1 task so you can be a robot and not gain multi tasking skills.
Reply 9
I've seen a TV ad for www.monster.co.uk about adding a CV online; if that helps.
Reply 10
search pertemps and randstad, although you will have to go in aswell to register, but the search jobs for ya:p:
Reply 11
uuuh!! Well thanks to all of you!! (I'm 23, actually...yeeeh, oldie...)

Well I have 3 interviews next week: Two on Tuesday and one on Wednesday, so I'm hoping I'll have a job after the 3 interviews!!
Reply 12
ok, thanks... I'm 23 sooo.....

anywho, I have 3 inerviews in the beginning of next week, so hopefully -fingers crossed- I'll soon have a job!
Reply 13
Good luck! And if you're 23 the original £160 a week job would have been under the minimum wage, so well done for not going near it. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending