Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
upstroke and offbeat guitars, brass section

it is a form of reggae, it evolved from it

madness, the specials, the selector some classic ska bands

the more modern version tends to be ska/punk

thats bands like reel big fish

were sublime modern? they were a kick ass ska band

*sings* i don't practice santeria i ain't got no crystal ball....

that's my definition anyway
...I had a million dollars but I, I spent it all.

I love that song.

Can't really add much to what the Pezmeister said up there.
Wikipedia
Ska is a form of Jamaican music which began as early as the 1930s. Combining elements of traditional mento and calypso with an American jazz and rhythm and blues sound, it was a precursor in Jamaica to rocksteady and later reggae. It is the predominant form of music listened to by Rudeboys, and is also popular with Mods, and Skinheads, with artists such as Symarip, Laurel Aitken, Desmond Dekker and The Pioneers aiming songs at these groups as early as the 1960s.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ska
Reply 4
Ska music has three, very different waves.
First wave is traditional Jamaican music, look up Desmond Dekker
Second Wave is Two Tone. Look up The Specials, Madness.
Third Wave is early Less Than Jake, early Reel Big Fish, Save Ferris, early No Doubt

Geneally jazz influenced up-tempo music with a definite rhythm.

Check Wikipedia
Reply 5
The Specials were ska weren't they? Take a listen to them...

But i think Pez more or less explained it... :smile:
Reply 6
save ferris fantastic stuff...i wish i had more stuff on my laptop

i do love my ska...it is ONE STEP BEYOND other music :biggrin:

*skanks out of thread*
Reply 7
A.ndrew
The Specials were ska weren't they? Take a listen to them...

yeah they are
Reply 8
Madness are amazing, would be criminal not to check them out :wink:
Reply 9
Thanks thats a great help, will definetly have a listen to some of your suggestions (I have madness somewhere)

One more quick question, what is two tone? it has been mentioned to me before are they a band?or is it a type of music?
Reply 10
bobbob
First wave is traditional Jamaican music, look up Desmond Dekker.

R.I.P. Desmond Dekker :frown:.

regards
--marty
Reply 11
potspansamy
Thanks thats a great help, will definetly have a listen to some of your suggestions (I have madness somewhere)

One more quick question, what is two tone? it has been mentioned to me before are they a band?or is it a type of music?

it was a movement i guess you could say, it was also a ska record label
Reply 12
I can't stand ska, or reggae for that matter. There always seem to be trumpets, why? Why take perfectly adequate pop-punk/pop-rock and add trumpets?

I know a lot of people who love it though, some of whom have set up a ska band. ugh.
Reply 13
probably because pop-rock/pop-punk isn't very good

and it's generally trombone and sax i find
Reply 14
not all reggae have trumpets actaully
Reply 15
Saxophones :rolleyes: could anyone give me the names of some of the songs with sax in?
Am currently learning and am always interested to have a listen to pieces with it in, see what it could sound like
Reply 16
potspansamy
Saxophones :rolleyes: could anyone give me the names of some of the songs with sax in?
Am currently learning and am always interested to have a listen to pieces with it in, see what it could sound like

I think 'The Specials - Ghost Town' has the sax in it.. I might be wrong..
Reply 17
potspansamy

Early Less Than Jake has the Alto Sax in, but that's long gone - they completely got rid of it. Most 3rd wave bands use either trumpet or trombone. Catch 22 and Streetlight Manifesto both have a sax in though, apparently.
Reply 18
ltj have a tenor sax now, borders and boundaries is the only album without a sax

one step beyond by madness is a great song for the sax
Reply 19
Ska is amazing:smile: - so jangly.

Skanking is possibly the best musical dancing I can think of..

If you get a chance, check out a band called The Scrub, Bristol based, but currently touring with The Toasters (gosh), they have a myspace, but the tracks on there arent their best work by a long way, saw them a few days ago for the second time, and they're improving with age!

*jangle-skanks*

Latest