The Student Room Group

Human Biology HB2 3 JUNE 2013 WJEC

How did everyone find the exam today? sorry the board is WJEC
(edited 10 years ago)
I don't think it went to bad actually. There were quite a lot of suggestion questions, but some of them were fairly straight forward (particularly towards the end).
Seeing as i'm better at using my memory than my sense of logic, i found the rest of the paper after the case study questions relatively easy and finished about 20 minutes.
Although i wasn't sure what to put about the first question "why is complementary base pairing important?"
And it was turners syndrome right? Because there was a chromosome missing on the kayrotype.
Reply 2
Original post by theblackreaper
I don't think it went to bad actually. There were quite a lot of suggestion questions, but some of them were fairly straight forward (particularly towards the end).
Seeing as i'm better at using my memory than my sense of logic, i found the rest of the paper after the case study questions relatively easy and finished about 20 minutes.
Although i wasn't sure what to put about the first question "why is complementary base pairing important?"
And it was turners syndrome right? Because there was a chromosome missing on the kayrotype.

It was klinefelter's, there were two XX chromosomes and one Y..
Reply 3
Lol, this is for WJEC

Anyway, I liked this paper, it was more straight forward than past papers, all I hope is that wjec don't screw us over with a stupidly specific and variable mark scheme. I found so many questions and answers in the past papers that weren't clear enough, the answers were blatantly wrong and just somehow irrelevant to the question being asked and valid points were missed out :mad:

Anywho, hope this one has a nice mark scheme. Which essay question did people do? And what did you write about? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
I did the parasite one but didnt know some of the adaptations for ascaris, schistosoma and plasmodium. taenia solium one was really good lot to say. What did you say for where the villi was found, i put large intestine but think it might be small and also for the box where you had to say what place in the villi has glands that secrete things i put crypts of liberkuhn, is that right or is it brunners glands?
Original post by jarekd1234
It was klinefelter's, there were two XX chromosomes and one Y..

Oh ****!!!
I wasn't looking at the fact that the letter were involved. I just assumed that there was a Missing chromosome on the 23rd pair and that meant it a lacked a chromosome, which would evidently mean it had only 22. Holy **** i must've lost like 10 marks now. Damm. I hadn't answered any questions on identifying a karyotype before, well not in that way. holy mother of lord!
well i'm officially a retard
what did everyone put the question that said suggest why the child was given a vaccine at 2 months old?
Reply 8
Original post by theblackreaper
Oh ****!!!
I wasn't looking at the fact that the letter were involved. I just assumed that there was a Missing chromosome on the 23rd pair and that meant it a lacked a chromosome, which would evidently mean it had only 22. Holy **** i must've lost like 10 marks now. Damm. I hadn't answered any questions on identifying a karyotype before, well not in that way. holy mother of lord!

You did the OCR one, right? OP did a different exam from me lol.
Oh crap lol yeah!
Original post by rainerised
I did the parasite one but didnt know some of the adaptations for ascaris, schistosoma and plasmodium. taenia solium one was really good lot to say. What did you say for where the villi was found, i put large intestine but think it might be small and also for the box where you had to say what place in the villi has glands that secrete things i put crypts of liberkuhn, is that right or is it brunners glands?

Small intestine and then duodenum and ileum in brackets just to clarify. Definitely crypts of lieberkuhn, because they contain the brunners glands. I did the gases carried in the blood, was alright but I couldn't mention much apart from the chloride shift and the Bohr shift :/
Reply 11
Hey

I found the exam pretty straight forward. But like previous people have said, you never know with Wjec as their marking schemes often contradict themselves. I have done every past paper for this qualification numerous times, they ask the same questions but the marking schemes have different answers. I read three different ways to define an antigen and that's not counting some of the essay questions that have been repeated.

Well good luck everyone, fingers crossed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending