The Student Room Group

Started to get bullied at work when I began travelling the world

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
You don't NEED a degree to do anything, but it indicates a discipline and a general level of intelligence that your average supermarket employee doesn't have.

All educated people agree on that, surely?

Most of the people I know without degrees are very very clever and can think clearly. I have a degree but I don't and will never think that I am above anyone one else. I'm sorry you're getting bullied but you're coming across as very arrogant.
(edited 10 years ago)
I would guess it is because most people who work in a supermarket for an extended period of time are unsuccessful people who have few prospects and consequently wouldn't have the money or self-confidence to travel abroad outside of their comfort zone.

Therefore speaking of travel is typically lost on such people who are unlikely to ever do anything similar themselves.
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Fixed your post for you!

But anyway. As you didn't specifically say you just wanted sympathy, I'm going to go with "helpful advice".

This post exactly epitomises is why you have no friends. Not because of your (fairly normal, whatever one's socio-economic status) interests, but because of your attitude. There might be a fairly nice person inside there, but you come across as a snob. Do you actually enjoy anything for itself, or do you like these things to separate yourself from the "plebs"?

Look at your rep- it's very, very red. When you have the peace and quiet to compose yourself and say whatever you want to say, without nervousness or Foot-In-Mouth-Disorder, you are still managing to make enemies!

You remind me of a scared little boy who thinks negative attention is better than no attention at all.

I think you need to leave that job, and get a new start Somewhere Else.

No.

My ideal situation is keep my head down, do a good job, and go home. If I do speak to anyone in between I prefer it to be educated people, rather than the hoi polloi.

Doesn't really sound like arrogance does it? I don't think I am too good for the job. I like the job, it suits my lifestyle and other commitments.

If you had a chance of talking about Israeli politics or Eastenders, who would you choose to speak to?

I cannot help who I am. I am not going to start doing normal things to get more involved.

And I do not like negative attention. I think it's a fairly weak argument to try and link 'neg rep' on TSR to real world bullying. No attention is the best attention for me, but because of people bullying me and attacking me at work I am not even able to keep my head down.

The bullies I can deal with. I just bully them back and destroy them (their fault).

But the character defamation when people hate you even though they haven't even spoken to you before (which means people have been bitching behind my back) is getting too much.
No.

My ideal situation is keep my head down, do a good job, and go home. If I do speak to anyone in between I prefer it to be educated people, rather than the hoi polloi.

Doesn't really sound like arrogance does it? I don't think I am too good for the job. I like the job, it suits my lifestyle and other commitments.

If you had a chance of talking about Israeli politics or Eastenders, who would you choose to speak to?

I cannot help who I am. I am not going to start doing normal things to get more involved.

And I do not like negative attention. I think it's a fairly weak argument to try and link 'neg rep' on TSR to real world bullying. No attention is the best attention for me, but because of people bullying me and attacking me at work I am not even able to keep my head down.

The bullies I can deal with. I just bully them back and destroy them (their fault).

But the character defamation when people hate you even though they haven't even spoken to you before (which means people have been bitching behind my back) is getting too much.

Why can't you speak to "non-educated" people? You make them sound like a whole new breed. People don't need A levels and a degree to be worth talking to. They still have interesting things to say and are nice people, which you don't seem to be coming across as, therefore I don't blame them for not wanting to talk to you if you give off an air of being twice as good as half the people in Tescos.
No.

Yes, it really, really does sound arrogant. You're using hoi polloi unironically for a start.

It would depend rather greatly on the person I'd be talking to. Both of those topics can make for an enjoyable discussion or half-an-hour of hell, depending upon the partner.

Read your posts back. Seriously. In this very thread alone, you have had your arrogance pointed out.

And then you claim that you yourself bully people. If this is true? Ooh, wow, people talk about bullies? Did not know.
I love how people ignored my post where I said I was bullied for autistic and bipolar.

Maybe I don't have much to talk about in terms of social lives? I am not married with kids by the age of 21 and then just sit back waiting for the grim reaper pretending like I've just achieved something, like most old women.

My discussion comes from outside influences that interest me.

For example, I will be in education my whole life, as this gives me a lot of focus and interest. Your average goon working at Tesco cannot understand this. Those wastecadets couldn't wait to leave school and 'prove themselves as adultz'. :rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
My mum has three jobs and one of those is in Tescos too. She doesn't have a degree, yet she is a very interesting person as she always keeps up with the news and things like that. Why can't you understand that there are interesting people at Tesco? I certainly wouldn't talk to you if I knew that's what you thought of me.
I am autistic and bipolar. I believe I get picked on for that, too.

Unless you tell them, it's unlikely that they'll know this anyway. It sounds to me as though it's your attitude is the reason why you get picked on. You seem to look down on others and think you're better than them.
Original post by -strawberry-
My mum has three jobs and one of those is in Tescos too. She doesn't have a degree, yet she is a very interesting person as she always keeps up with the news and things like that. Why can't you understand that there are interesting people at Tesco? I certainly wouldn't talk to you if I knew that's what you thought of me.

It works both ways.
It works both ways.

So why would I even think of giving you the time of day if you won't give me it just because I don't have a degree? See, it works both ways.
Original post by OU Student
Unless you tell them, it's unlikely that they'll know this anyway. It sounds to me as though it's your attitude is the reason why you get picked on. You seem to look down on others and think you're better than them.

I am very shy and quiet and mysterious. I am also quite secure in myself for this. I simply do not come into work and update everyone on my life. What's it go to do with them? I am not rude, I am just private. However in a workplace where you aren't allowed to be private, as it annoys the gossiping old women, you can imagine why I might get a hard time.

For example, if I am not going to involve them, they will make stuff up about me instead.
Original post by -strawberry-
So why would I even think of giving you the time of day if you won't give me it just because I don't have a degree? See, it works both ways.

But that's not the crux of the problem. Read my OP.

I am bullied for no reason.

I currently get given the silent treatment by half my colleagues because they are trying to tell me I am in the doghouse, presuming it will affect me and I will suck up to them to make it better, thus losing dignity (which is their gameplan).

No chance.
Maybe they're jealous and resent you, and have b****ed about you while you've been away. Now that you're back, they can't act nice because they don't want to seem two faced to colleagues. Be nice and polite etc. They might warm to you. What were they like before you left? Maybe you've changed and they don't like it?
Original post by Huskaris
Is this because a conversation goes like this?

Other employee: Hey mate, just making a cup of tea do you want one?

You: Oh my god yes! It reminds me of this time I was travelling, there was like, no tea available at all, have you been travelling? You should go travelling, I can't believe you haven't been to India, Tanzania and built a school in Ethiopia. I didn't know who I was until I completely lost myself on a beach in Austria, and they don't even have a coast hur hur hur. Did I mention I have been travelling?

What you have to realise is quite often... People aren't interested...

28894440.jpg

OP is this you?
(edited 10 years ago)
No.

Oh sweet irony. Autism is understable but acting like you're a superior being is going to show as stand-offishness which attracts negative attention. Some students I have met are the most generic uninspiring idiots you can meet so education doesn't guarantee a well rounded person.

A lot of people in these places have no sense of ambition and can take it out on those who have that experience so fair enough in that respect. Do yourself a favour and find a new job.
Reply 55
I work at Sainsbury's and I wish the social dynamics were half as complex as this Tesco's.
Reply 56
Original post by Lgambo
I work at Sainsbury's and I wish the social dynamics were half as complex as this Tesco's.

She works at Sainsbury's, or at least did until recently.
Original post by otu1987
She works at Sainsbury's, or at least did until recently.

I do dual store working these days, Sainsbury's and Tesco.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending