The Student Room Group
Let V(t) = T(t)X(x)

Then just wack it in the equation. It's a bog standard seperable solution method. Just copy what you've got in your notes but you'll have to solve different differential equations, namely

T¨+T˙=λT\ddot{T}+\dot{T} = \lambda T and X=λXX' = \lambda X
Reply 2
AlphaNumeric
Let V(t) = T(t)X(x)

Then just wack it in the equation. It's a bog standard seperable solution method. Just copy what you've got in your notes but you'll have to solve different differential equations, namely

T¨+T˙=λT\ddot{T}+\dot{T} = \lambda T and X=λXX' = \lambda X

completely wrong. This is a common misconception, and the method you suggested is far too remedial. I have pmed the answer with explanations to you tony; hope it helps.
Dwight67
completely wrong. This is a common misconception, and the method you suggested is far too remedial. I have pmed the answer with explanations to you tony; hope it helps.
Mmmm, quite. Unfortunately your particularly stellar brand of condescending humour is slightly lacking, given that that method is not 'remedial' unless you count the standard method of computing answers to seperable PDEs 'remedial' and does infact yeild an answer in about 4 lines of working.

But given it's clear from a search of your posts it's 'your thing' to post short, insulting and ultimately pointless points to get a raise out of people, I'm not bothered. Your post alone makes you look a prat without much effort from myself :smile:
Reply 4
prove by mathcal induction that d(x^n)/dx = nx^(n-1)

can any1 do this 4 me plzzz
thx very much
Reply 5
prove by mathcal induction that d(x^n)/dx = nx^(n-1)

can any1 do this 4 me plzzz
thx very much

Assume (d/dx)(x^n)=nx^(n-1)
(d/dx)(x^n+1)=(d/dx)(x*x^n)
=x(dx^n/dx)+x^n(dx/dx) (product rule)
=nx^n + x^n
=(n+1)x^n

Then verify that it works for x= 1, which it does.
Reply 6
thankyou for your pm dwight, i was the only student in the class not to make the same mistake that alphanumeric made.
Which mistake did I make? Assuming a seperable solution of the form V=X(x)T(t)V = X(x)T(t) gives the equation

T¨X+T˙X=TX\ddot{T}X + \dot{T}X = TX'
T¨+T˙T=XX=λ\frac{\ddot{T} + \dot{T}}{T} = \frac{X'}{X} = \lambda

Then got from there to find that given λ<0\lambda < 0 your boundary condition of V decaying as x goes infinite is satisfied.
Reply 8
Two low postcounts with neg rep; probably the same person. :rolleyes:
The time equation gives

μ2+μλ=0\mu^{2} + \mu - \lambda=0
μ=μ±μ2+4λ2\mu = \frac{-\mu \pm \sqrt{\mu^{2}+4\lambda}}{2}

μ=μμ2+4λ2\mu_{-} = \frac{-\mu - \sqrt{\mu^{2}+4\lambda}}{2}
μ+=μ+μ2+4λ2\mu_{+} = \frac{-\mu + \sqrt{\mu^{2}+4\lambda}}{2}

So you have

T(t)=Aeμ+t+BeμtT(t) = Ae^{\mu_{+}t} + Be^{\mu_{-}t}

The X equation solves to the simple X(x)=CeλxX(x) = Ce^{\lambda x}

Putting them all together gives

V(x,t)=eλx(Aeμ+t+Beμt)V(x,t) = e^{\lambda x}(Ae^{\mu_{+}t} + Be^{\mu_{-}t})

Therefore, provided λ<0\lambda < 0 the boundary condition is met and the seperable solution found :smile:
Reply 10
Yeah don't worry Alpha, I think this guy is just being a dick.

Latest