The Student Room Group

Widespread flood amongst central Europe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22752544

Thousands of people have fled their homes across central Europe as deadly flood waters continue to rise.

Emergency operations are under way in Austria, Germany and the Czech Republic to deal with record levels of flooding in some places.

Landslides and flooding have led to the deaths of at least six people. At least eight people are missing.

In Germany, more than 7,000 people have been moved from their homes in the town of Eilenburg, reports say.

The Czech capital, Prague, is on high alert amid fears that floodwater could swamp its historic centre.

Around 3,000 people have been forced to leave their homes in the capital and the surrounding region, Radio Prague reports. Animals from Prague's zoo have also been moved.

Underground stations have been closed and schools shut as Prague officials wait and see whether the Vltava River will flood its banks.

Czech Prime Minister Petr Necas called a special cabinet session on Sunday to co-ordinate the emergency response, and around 1,000 troops were mobilised to help erect metal barriers and fill sandbags.

"We will do everything to protect people's lives and health," he said. "Tonight and tomorrow will be critical."

:frown:
Reply 1
Has anyone heard about this?
Yep. My dad told me this morning, because some relatives of ours had their house flooded today :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by *~HeartShapedBox
Yep. My dad told me this morning, because some relatives of ours had their house flooded today :frown:

Damn, which country are your relatives at?
Original post by James A
Damn, which country are your relatives at?

Germany
Reply 5
I've only read news that due to landslide on one of Germany's roads caused an accident where a truck hit a car and few people from my country were killed, 1 from my town :sad:
Reply 6
Original post by ForgetMe
I've only read news that due to landslide on one of Germany's roads caused an accident where a truck hit a car and few people from my country were killed, 1 from my town :sad:

My thoughts are with all of them :sad:
Reply 7
It's awful; I haven't heard of this sort of thing happening before in that part of the world.

Gosh; that's terrible, I hope everyone else is safe and sound, and my thoughts obviously go out to your town.

May I ask, is your town is in Germany?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Habsburg
It's awful; I haven't heard of this sort of thing happening before in that part of the world.

Gosh; that's terrible, I hope everyone else is safe and sound, and my thoughts obviously go out to your town.

May I ask, is your town is in Germany?

No, my town is in Lithuania..
Reply 9
No, my town is in Lithuania..

Sorry; I hadn't known the flooding had spread that far. :eek:

I thought it was mostly concentrated in the Czech Republic/Austria/Southern Germany area.
Reply 10
Sorry; I hadn't known the flooding had spread that far. :eek:

I thought it was mostly concentrated in the Czech Republic/Austria/Southern Germany area.

You got it wrong :gah: People from my country were in Germany and you've asked where my town is so I've said where :tongue:
Reply 11
good for them, they don't have to boast about it
Reply 12
You got it wrong :gah: People from my country were in Germany and you've asked where my town is so I've said where :tongue:

Ah, sorry again; I didn't read it properly. :tongue:
Reply 13
Ah, sorry again; I didn't read it properly. :tongue:

Oh you:tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending