The Student Room Group

Is this an early sign of varicose veins or not? (pic)

For about 2 months ive noted like a red pattern on the back of my calves. Im worried its something like varicose veins/spider webs but it looks slightly different as though its more on the skin. I thought to myself that Im making a big deal out of nothing but i was running today with a friend and (being the ver outspoken type) she said 'omg, look at your legs you have started to get like veins' She laughed and said 'probably cause your getting old. So I guess it is noticable.

Ive took a pic its not come out very well but you can just about mke it out. Is this something that will develop/get worse? I think sometimes it looks worse than others. I asked my mum whos a nurse and she said 'oh dont start obsessing over this now'. She said its not even veins it looks like capilleries maybe you are oevr exerting yourself. She said 'im not saying it wont turn into varicose veins but theres no point worrying'.

I dont even know if it is veins or simply like a hexagon like shaped rash on the skin though. You cant see it very well on the pic but if you look carefully you can. I am getting fairly old im mid twenties. I just wondered do vascular problems start like this? Or should i not worry?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You are quite light skinned, maybe thats why whats going on underneath your skin is more obvious :P dont worry about it
Reply 2
They look like perfectly normal legs to me.
Reply 3
I get that when I am feeling cold, on my arms and legs. So I don't think it is anything serious, unless you're feeling some kind of pain/discomfort? Then you should see your GP.
Reply 4
Original post by Persipan
They look like perfectly normal legs to me.

I first noticed it months ago in a changing room. I told myself not to obsess/that it would go away/was barely notcable but then after running the woman said 'omg your legs have gone all veiny/red, she said i have those spider things on my thighs its probably cause you are getting old'.

They are just red mottled patches that have been there at least months and probably get worse with exercise.

I want to know though if you press on spider veins with finger or a glass does the appearance of them dissapear.. might be a good way of knowing if its them or not
Reply 5
Original post by Bueno93
I get that when I am feeling cold, on my arms and legs. So I don't think it is anything serious, unless you're feeling some kind of pain/discomfort? Then you should see your GP.

yea its like the type of thing you get when cold but the patches are there all the time. Ive only just built the confidence up to wear shorts its my first day this season in shorts and someone comments haha
Reply 6
really? I thought they more of a asthetic thing
Reply 7
oh :eek: thats bad! What medication was it out of interest
Reply 8
ok, I'l remember that, even if its a rare side effect its surprising what medication can do
Reply 9
Original post by SannaS
You are quite light skinned, maybe thats why whats going on underneath your skin is more obvious :P dont worry about it

i suppose so thats the good thing about being black
Reply 10
im wondering if it will go away. Does anyone know how to tell the difference between skin discolouration and spider veins?
Reply 11
OP relax that on your leg is not a spider vein. Take it from someone who has them, but I am 40 so it is to be expected I suppose.

This is what spider veins look like:

http://www.theveinclinic.com.sg/unsightly-veins/spider-veins
Reply 12
Original post by Annie72
OP relax that on your leg is not a spider vein. Take it from someone who has them, but I am 40 so it is to be expected I suppose.

This is what spider veins look like:

http://www.theveinclinic.com.sg/unsightly-veins/spider-veins

Im not young anymore Im in my late twenties! Yea thats what i found odd spider veins from the pictures ive seen seem more like lines mine are more mottled:confused:. I can see a blue vein underneath that looks like it maybe shouldnt be as superficial as it is but other than that its like discolouring of mottled lines . Its been there for months i saw it in the changing room on both calves and it looked very 'vascular'. It also looks worse after exercise.

I can't understand why its on both calves in around the same place though. Do spider veins tend to appear on both legs at once or not? I'l shut up now you are probably think 'oh my god what an hyperchondriac' lol.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by inthedark1
i suppose so thats the good thing about being black

Each colour has its own benefits :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by SannaS
Each colour has its own benefits :smile:

I used to think that there was nothing good about being pale but then found out that pale skin tends to make more/utilise vitamin D so yea you are right lol
Reply 15
I used to think that there was nothing good about being pale but then found out that pale skin tends to make more/utilise vitamin D so yea you are right lol

wow Im quite pale too! Tend to get dark freckles in the summer! I never knew about the vitamin d thing, I just thought darker people are protected more from the sun from their melanin
Reply 16
It looks more like capillaries
Reply 17
-

I'm almost certain you don't have Spider-Veins (they are easily visible) or Varicose Veins (they stick out), it just seems like you have strained your legs and capillaries are showing up. Maybe the blood isn't flowing as well as it should be although that wouldn't be to serious of a problem - reason I think this is because it is worse after exercise.

I don't know if you stretch or not before/after your runs but start doing more stretching to improve blood circulation and keep it up for a couple weeks to see if it improves. If you can't think of any stretches then just do calf raises, ankle rotations, forward lunges (dynamic) and front leg raises.

The best thing to do would be to see your GP asap since it's better to be safe than sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest