The Student Room Group

Police use taser gun on a 12 year old girl

What you make of this, according to the report she was causing a danger to others, but just awful a 12 year old had to be tasered.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-22755908

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
'but the risk from the electricity is very low'
- Simon Chesterman, Association of Chief Police Offices

That's a load of *******s.
Reply 2
should see the **** going down in turkey if that shocked you
Reply 3
reading the article it sounds like it was necessary, what else could the do? she was wielding two knifes going crazy.
Original post by Kiss

Do you have evidence to prove otherwise?
I'm sorry but if it was acceptable at the time then they have every right whereas if it was accidental they should just be careful in the future
Original post by Kiss

Relative to someone not in their right state of mind running around with knives, acting aggressively? Relative to armed police bullets? Relative to the combined risk to the officers tackling her of stab wounds and her of assorted trauma from batons?
Unless the fact that she was only 12 means that a taser gun has a significant risk of killing her or causing permanent damage (which it may do, I'm not really sure), I don't think her age has much to do with it. It sounds like she was tasered for the same reason that anybody else would need to be tasered.
Reply 7
Original post by smd4std
should see the **** going down in turkey if that shocked you

Kind of agree. Tasering a 12 year old despite their gender is almost unthinkable in our society but murder, rape and mutilation of children in the likes of Syria, Sierra Leone, Turkey, India etc are almost every day occurrences. The media loves to blow things like this up as if 12 year old's cannot pose a big enough of a threat to warrant forceful action.
Reply 8
Original post by deedee123
reading the article it sounds like it was necessary, what else could the do? she was wielding two knifes going crazy.

Do you have evidence to prove otherwise?

Since 2003 there's been a rising trend of taser related deaths most likely due to cardiac arrest. Whilst I can't be arsed going through every single incident you can check Wikipedia for listed deaths - yes, it's not the world's best resource but it gives you a good idea.
Reply 9
Original post by Kiss
Since 2003 there's been a rising trend of taser related deaths most likely due to cardiac arrest. Whilst I can't be arsed going through every single incident you can check Wikipedia for listed deaths - yes, it's not the world's best resource but it gives you a good idea.

Possibly, but in this situation there wasn't much else they could do. The harm she could of caused with the knives outweighs the harm caused to her by the taser
Original post by Kiss

Whilst there may be a risk of cardiac arrest it IS low and either way she would be harmed - it would just be less painful than a knife. Also, if she was intent on harming herself or the public the police would endanger their own lives as well as others by trying to remove the knives from her so it is slightly a justifiable course of action.

If anything, this story is very sad that a 12 year old - a child basically, would want to end their life or bring some serious harm to themselves.
Reply 11
Possibly, but in this situation there wasn't much else they could do. The harm she could of caused with the knives outweighs the harm caused to her by the taser

Original post by TaliTalulla
Whilst there may be a risk of cardiac arrest it IS low and either way she would be harmed - it would just be less painful than a knife. Also, if she was intent on harming herself or the public the police would endanger their own lives as well as others by trying to remove the knives from her so it is slightly a justifiable course of action.

If anything, this story is very sad that a 12 year old - a child basically, would want to end their life or bring some serious harm to themselves.

I'm not disagreeing with the use of Taser per se, but I won't defend them on the basis of being a preferred option when they carry just the same risk as any other police deterrent. I find it a rather a evil kind of weapon for compliance.
Reply 12
Original post by Kiss

Tasers have killed people, but that doesn't mean that the general risk from the electricity isn't very low.
Original post by Kiss
I'm not disagreeing with the use of Taser per se, but I won't defend them on the basis of being a preferred option when they carry just the same risk as any other police deterrent. I find it a rather a evil kind of weapon for compliance.

What would you have suggested they use instead?
Reply 14
Damn that's hardcore...
Reply 15
Original post by TaliTalulla
Kind of agree. Tasering a 12 year old despite their gender is almost unthinkable in our society but murder, rape and mutilation of children in the likes of Syria, Sierra Leone, Turkey, India etc are almost every day occurrences. The media loves to blow things like this up as if 12 year old's cannot pose a big enough of a threat to warrant forceful action.

Think you forgot to also mention the rape/murder/pimping/shooting for sport/chopping fingers off as war trophies, of children in Iraq/Afghanistan as well.
Reply 16
What would you have suggested they use instead?

It's not a case of using something instead, I think Simon Chesterman should simply retract his statement.
Original post by Al-Mudaari
Think you forgot to also mention the rape/murder of children in Iraq/Afghanistan as well.

I didn't, hence the "etc". If I was to name every crime against children on a daily basis in every state/city/region/country/continent we'd be here all week.
Reply 18
Original post by Kiss
It's not a case of using something instead, I think Simon Chesterman should simply retract his statement.

I doubt he would do so. Doing that would make him look pretty bad.
'as she was armed with two knives and behaving aggressively towards them.' Yeah, I'm gonna put out my opinion and say it was probably justified. Also, if it happened in 2011, is it really breaking news?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending