The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Classical Greek

The papers are on the 14th and 21st June, and suffice it to say that I am absolutely petrified.

Does anybody have any practice questions for the Plato and the Aristophanes, or practice verse unseens?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I know that there are previous papers on the website but I'm not sure where you can find practise questions
Reply 2
Anybody else doing Euripides? I AM SO SCARED
Reply 3
I have a practice verse unseen if you want it, it's Euripides
Reply 4
That would be amazing if you could!
Reply 5
Original post by LuxVeritatis
That would be amazing if you could!

If you give me your email address I will email it to you :smile:
Reply 6
The last two exams I have left, and the most frightening! I'm doing Herodotus and Sophocles as set works and Thucydides and Euripides as unseens.
Any advice for essay questions?
Reply 7
i'm VERY scared as well. lots of my translations at this stage still don't make sense. really hoping that by friday i'll be ok, but verse unseen can be close to fiendish at times.
but since it is the first year of the new syllabus i hope they might not be too tough? or will it be the opposite?! to be honest i can't wait to just get it over with
Original post by MJasper
The last two exams I have left, and the most frightening! I'm doing Herodotus and Sophocles as set works and Thucydides and Euripides as unseens.
Any advice for essay questions?

That's the exact same as me. For the Sophocles, I guess it's just to know the play inside out. The passage essay shouldn't be too bad, but I'm dreading the whole-text one. It'll probably be a characterisation question.
Reply 9
Good luck today everyone :smile: I'll probably be on here later crying about the Euripides. Just remember for the whole text essay - show off your knowledge! Literally stick as much knowledge of the play in there as possible, that's what they said people didn't do very well last year, so it's what they'll be looking for when marking.
Reply 10
That unseen was awful. Even though the vocabulary wasn't so bad I just failed utterly at it. At least the whole text essay was nice for Oedipus.
Reply 11
I hated the unseen. Absolutely hated it. I detest it when they give you half a conversation. My Aristophanes essays were pretty nice too.
That unseen was no fun, although the translation was relatively okay compared to some of the comprehension bits :frown:

The Oedipus essays were nice, and my commentary went quite well, although I did write a page an a half on the first four lines, and two pages on the other 20 lines or so :s-smilie:

Here's the unseen in English: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.01.0104%3Acard%3D253
Reply 13
So how many are doing Plato and how many are doing Herodotus on Friday? And prose comp or unseen? It's the Plato for me, with prose comp.
I'm doing Herodotus and Prose Comp. Prose is so much easier than Verse I find, especially in the language.
Original post by Cellar Door
I'm doing Herodotus and Prose Comp. Prose is so much easier than Verse I find, especially in the language.

I'm doing prose comp and Herodotus too :smile: doesn't Herodotus just do your head in though? SO FREAKIN BORING
Original post by binxgillam
I'm doing prose comp and Herodotus too :smile: doesn't Herodotus just do your head in though? SO FREAKIN BORING

Yeah, compared to Oedipus it's pretty dull :/ Not nearly enough incest or eye-gouging, although the actual language is a lot easier.

A lot of the commentary is technique I find, we've been told to focus a lot on characterisation.
Original post by Cellar Door
Yeah, compared to Oedipus it's pretty dull :/ Not nearly enough incest or eye-gouging, although the actual language is a lot easier.

A lot of the commentary is technique I find, we've been told to focus a lot on characterisation.

If the section about the Persian messengers comes up I will probably murder someone, there is nothing to write about! I'm hoping we get the section where Themistocles is trying to persuade Euribiades not to go to the Isthmus - that's really good for style.
Reply 18
I feel all alone with my Plato... in which I am hoping that for the philosophy question they ask something thronging with literary devices. Unfortunately, seeing as it is Plato, this is unlikely.
Original post by binxgillam
If the section about the Persian messengers comes up I will probably murder someone, there is nothing to write about! I'm hoping we get the section where Themistocles is trying to persuade Euribiades not to go to the Isthmus - that's really good for style.

I think that it'll be one of the speeches, that't the easiest thing to talk about. Mnesiphilus' would be good too, or maybe some of the battle scenes with Xerxes? Greeks vs. Persians is sooooo easy to talk about.

Quick Reply

Latest