The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Classical Greek

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
This is what I got for the scansion last Friday by the way:

A little unsure about the upsilon of "keruka" being long, but that's the only thing that fits, so hmm.
Seeing as it is the first year I think it is likely that they pick obvious passages for Herodotus and Plato alike. That was the case with the Oedipus.
So what did people think about the Prose exam? I did the Prose Comp and the Herodotus, and I think it went OK, but I hated the second passage for Herodotus.
Really? I didn't think it was that bad, I didn't like the first passage very much hahah. SO glad I checked my Prose Comp in the last five minutes, I had missed out half a sentence! Idiot! Luckily I managed to get something down before they told me to stop writing. There were a fair few purpose clauses in there, I was glad I revised those yesterday.
Reply 24
Made a few silly mistakes on the last sentence of the prose comp, and the Plato was horrid. I completely ballsed up the "what is the argument saying" question. Can pretty much kiss any hopes of an A* goodbye with that. Grr.
Original post by LuxVeritatis
Made a few silly mistakes on the last sentence of the prose comp, and the Plato was horrid. I completely ballsed up the "what is the argument saying" question. Can pretty much kiss any hopes of an A* goodbye with that. Grr.

Sorry to hear that :frown: one thing I've learned from Classics, however, is that you've always done better than you think. I walked out of the language exam last year thinking I'd pretty much failed it, and I got 195/200 UMS (still baffled as to how the hell that happened). Plus they're more generous with marking for the Prose Comp, so don't kiss your A* goodbye until you have your results :smile:. At least it's done now! Only Latin to worry about.
The prose comp was quite nice, after a bit of restructuring I found.

I had FP2 and S4 before doing Greek so I was half brain dead, so my essays will be pretty waffly and strange.

I'm fairly sure of an A now, A*'s up in the air depending on UMS (hopefully as nice as AS) and whether they liked my essays.
Reply 27
I am a mature student. There was quite a bit of vocab in the Prose paper unseen which I had never come across before! Does a good mark at AS help a lot overall or not ? I don't really understand the UMS system. I got 85% overall at AS and I probably got about 60% at A2 (that is being optimistic). Can anybody help on that, please?
Original post by tregenza
I am a mature student. There was quite a bit of vocab in the Prose paper unseen which I had never come across before! Does a good mark at AS help a lot overall or not ? I don't really understand the UMS system. I got 85% overall at AS and I probably got about 60% at A2 (that is being optimistic). Can anybody help on that, please?

To get an A in this subject, you need 320/400 UMS. Assuming 85% is around 170 UMS, you would need to get 150 UMS this year to get an A, which is an average of 75% over both papers. With 60% you would be on a mid B :smile:. Remember that you will have often done better than expected, though, especially with something as flexible as Classics.
Reply 29
No idea how, but got an A* in Greek. 90/100 on the Verse, 97/100 on the Prose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending