The Student Room Group

Ideal A-levels for studying Physics

Hi im currently studying at GCSE and may want to study a degree in physics, im predicted a minimum of 2B's in science and believe that i will be able to get 2A's, in order to study physics, what are the ideal A-level subjects which must be considered to be studied, i have alrready taken my turkish AS this year, what other 3 or 4 a-levels would you recomend

i know it will definetly have to maths and physics, would chemsitry be the ideal or anyother ones particularly

my favours are from teh following:
computing
economics
business studies

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Mathematics is essential, I'd do further mathematics if the option was available (it's far more interesting than chemistry). But chemistry, physics and mathematics are ideal subjects for studying physics at university. If you need an additional AS level, I'd choose economics, as business studies and computing have too much coursework (and are really boring subjects :tongue:).
Reply 2
unfortunately my school does not offer further maths therfore i take it that chemistry is teh best choice, would you say that it is possible to get into imperial college with 3A's and a B in maths as i know that maths is one of the hardest A-levels which can be taken,
From http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/physics/entryrequirements, the typical offer is AAA and although it doesn't specifically say AA is physics and maths (although both are required) it's likely that it would be a condition of your offer. Basically it's possible, but you'd likely have to secure the A in maths anyway, :smile:
I disagree that maths is one of the hardest A-levels, with the right inclination it is not particularly hard to get an A. AA in further maths is only slightly more tricky, but tbh if you are aiming for physics at Imperial in A in maths should not be out of your reach.
Reply 4
I think Imperial would probably expect an A in maths, especially as you're not taking further maths. Might be wise to get your referee to say that further maths wasn't available in your reference too.
Reply 5
Ideal A-Levels would be Physics (obviously), Maths and Chemistry. And for a fourth AS level something easy and potentially related, IT/ICT.
Reply 6
LORDDEATH
... business studies and computing have too much coursework (and are really boring subjects :tongue:).

Yeh he's right Computing sucks and there is LOADS of coursework at A2. Business Studies is good though and its relatively simple.

However, if you're looking for an "impressive" subject and you are good maths (which I am assuming) then do Economics.
Reply 7
darryladie, you are wrong.

Coursework can be a good thing, it allows you to remove massive amounts of pressure when exam time comes around. That way for things like computing/ICT there is no pressure at all, and you can focus on the more important subjects such as Chemistry, Maths and Physics.
Reply 8
john171
darryladie, you are wrong.

Coursework can be a good thing, it allows you to remove massive amounts of pressure when exam time comes around. That way for things like computing/ICT there is no pressure at all, and you can focus on the more important subjects such as Chemistry, Maths and Physics.

This is just not true, have you ever actually done A2 Computing Coursework, it sir is a f**king mission!

Trust me!
Reply 9
Yes, I have done ICT course, it is a pain. But in the end it's worth it.
Reply 10
so i take it that you regret doing computing as an a-level, the course is going to be just offered at our school this year, previously they offered I.C.T, but then again if i do maths, physics and computing i will have a chance of changing my option to a computing degree, such as computer science in future as i still would hae 2 years, but with economics i wouldnt be able to do computer science or anyhting like that..
Reply 11
mustafa
so i take it that you regret doing computing as an a-level, the course is going to be just offered at our school this year, previously they offered I.C.T, but then again if i do maths, physics and computing i will have a chance of changing my option to a computing degree, such as computer science in future as i still would hae 2 years, but with economics i wouldnt be able to do computer science or anyhting like that..

Computing A-level is not at all necessary for doing a computer science degree as the only prereqesuite is maths and not doing computing would not hinder your chances in any way when applying for a comp sci degree. Whereas for economics, it is certainly beneficial to do economics a-level, although not necessary. If you are actually really keen on doing computing then do it, but IMO there are more interesting/respected subjects one can do.
I've done A2 Computing coursework and it does feel like absolutely awful when your doing it, because it takes so bloomin' long and it's so fussy. On the other hand I only need 10 marks to get the A now :smile:
Reply 13
mustafa
Hi im currently studying at GCSE and may want to study a degree in physics, im predicted a minimum of 2B's in science and believe that i will be able to get 2A's, in order to study physics, what are the ideal A-level subjects which must be considered to be studied, i have alrready taken my turkish AS this year, what other 3 or 4 a-levels would you recomend

i know it will definetly have to maths and physics, would chemsitry be the ideal or anyother ones particularly

my favours are from teh following:
computing
economics
business studies

Or what about electronics?
Reply 14
they do not offer an electronics a-level at my school unfortunatly
Maths, Physics and Chemistry for your A2. Economics for your AS - it is always good to know a bit of economics, especially as you may want a job in finance after your degree.
Maths, Physics and Chemistry for your A2. Economics for your AS - it is always good to know a bit of economics, especially as you may want a job in finance after your degree.
Reply 17
Your school sounds pretty crap. Doesn't offer further maths or electronics. Perhaps you should just change school.
Reply 18
enfield is a big borough with several schools, my school is ranked 2, first its latymer which is a private school, my school is very good and offers other subjects which does not interest me and we cant really say its crap if its second can we, i would really like to stay on at my school.
Reply 19
a lack of further maths would be a crap reason to change school, I think he was joking. I hope so anyway :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending