The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 78Saab
First person on this thread that I have seen to be talking sense! I agree people think GCSEs are easy, when really they are far from it. They are easy if you are aiming for a C or below, but for those of us who do want to get higher than a C we do have to work hard to achieve a decent grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most people I know don't have to work hard for their As/A*s :s-smilie:
I do think GCSEs aren't hard enough.
Reply 281
Lucky me born in the last week of august :biggrin:
This is exactly why I'm taking IGCSEs. My God, one would think Gove would get tired of all releasing all these new proposals that go nowhere.

From my point of view, changing the name is just going to cause problems for schools in the Commonwealth—most African schools still refer to their secondary education as 'O' and 'A' Levels, and the reason IGCSEs have been accepted by the general public is because they're explained as newer and smarter than the national 'O' levels—just like the GCSEs were for British 'O' levels. The 'I' level will cause a lot more confusion for students who are taking IGCSEs, and their parents, because here, the British system is one that we hold up ours to for comparison. And I seriously doubt boards like CIE, which Ofqual has no influence over, will change their syllabus to 'International Intermediate Levels' from IGCSE.

And for the record, CIE IGCSEs have very limited coursework (and except for Global Perspectives, every syllabus has an alternative to coursework option) and taking either the Practical paper, or the Alternative to Practical (for schools with no access to labs) is part of every science exam. Frankly, I don't see a difference between the IGCSEs and the I Level, just like I saw no difference between the new A Levels and International A Levels.
Original post by KythingToWrite
This is exactly why I'm taking IGCSEs. My God, one would think Gove would get tired of all releasing all these new proposals that go nowhere.

From my point of view, changing the name is just going to cause problems for schools in the Commonwealth—most African schools still refer to their secondary education as 'O' and 'A' Levels, and the reason IGCSEs have been accepted by the general public is because they're explained as newer and smarter than the national 'O' levels—just like the GCSEs were for British 'O' levels. The 'I' level will cause a lot more confusion for students who are taking IGCSEs, and their parents, because here, the British system is one that we hold up ours to for comparison. And I seriously doubt boards like CIE, which Ofqual has no influence over, will change their syllabus to 'International Intermediate Levels' from IGCSE.

And for the record, CIE IGCSEs have very limited coursework (and except for Global Perspectives, every syllabus has an alternative to coursework option) and taking either the Practical paper, or the Alternative to Practical (for schools with no access to labs) is part of every science exam. Frankly, I don't see a difference between the IGCSEs and the I Level, just like I saw no difference between the new A Levels and International A Levels.

You take IGCSEs. The majority of pupils in this country take GCSEs. In GCSEs, controlled assessments can be a significant part of the overall mark.

Also, I highly doubt people are going to be confused by a name change. It's a name change, not some complicated thing for Christ's sake.

The following is an excerpt from a Guardian article:

Alongside it, the current system of several competing exam boards for each subject would be replaced in favour of a "franchising" model in which the boards would compete for a contract to run each subject's exams. Gove also wanted to remove the tiering system by which pupils took either harder or easier papers in most GCSE subjects, saying it "capped ambition" for lower-achievers.

This is in contrast to GCSEs, or IGCSEs for that matter. Right now, schools can choose the easiest examination board simply to boost their rankings in the school league tables. By eliminating the choice, we can avoid a race to the bottom.
I actually really enjoyed coursework at GCSE...It helped me find my voice. I don't think you can really develop much passion for a subject if you're just memorising information for an exam. A coursework piece allows you to sit and truly think what you want to write about and what opinions you have (within reason) whether this be expressed in written form or art.

Oh yeah, what are they gonna do about practical subjects such as Art and Graphics? Surely, it can't all be based on an exam? What would you do all year haha? I remember when I did GCSE, coursework was worth 70%! The exam was absolutely nothing to us! We only spent 3 weeks preparing and the prior two years doing coursework...
Original post by the1akshay

Unfortunately, teaching unions like the NUT will complain if language teaching is introduced in KS1 and KS2, claiming it will "deter from teaching the key skills of English," although (cynically) I'm sure they've a more insidious purpose.

QUOTE]

Also cynically, I just don't believe that anyone will really make the effort to have languages taught properly at primary school. The new compulsory KS2 languages teaches seems to be, as far as I can tell, no more than I got in years 5 & 6 - a couple of lessons every few months in French, taught by the normal teacher, who will likely be entirely unqualified. Unless forced, it won't be done properly. Funding required for real language teachers. Funding not available. Not going to happen.
Reply 286
I feel quite sorry for people starting these newe hard GCSEs. And those with the harder Alevels, only in summer. This whole " making exams harder so degrees will mean more" plan by Grove will cause more problems then what he's actually trying to achieve.
The Amazing Alphabet of Michael Gove:

A Levels, EBacc, I Levels, O Levels, U SUCK!
Original post by paradoxicalme
The Amazing Alphabet of Michael Gove:

A Levels, EBacc, I Levels, O Levels, U SUCK!

+1
Reply 289
Current education system in relation to high school education is very poor. once you start a levels you think well gcse's were a walk in the park. also, if gcse's are made harder then the jump from gcse to a levels will be much easier. people in other countries learn the stuff that we learn in year 11 when their about 10-11 years old!
Original post by Gillymander95

Oh yeah, what are they gonna do about practical subjects such as Art and Graphics?

They'll get rid of them eventually.
Original post by Albino
I don't think we should give up on them, but it needs to be made clear to them that if they are not willing to learn or at least try to, then they should face consequences such as being excluded from class ect.

I have also never encountered the need for art or R.E but that doesn't mean that I shouldn't have learnt it. It develops other skills such as building imagination or being able to develop arguments. Also, relating to Child B, it means that he has no concept of problem solving just the ability to add up change efficiently, in the real world we have calculators for that. Also how about if Child A wants to go on to study something like the sciences? He will be limited as sometimes stuff like physics requires logic ect. and not just arithmetical skills.

Making GCSEs more difficult would get students ready for A-level, which I believe is a massive step from GCSEs, and it puts it into context for the less performing students that they should really consider whether they want to go further in education.

Education is harder today and it's a fact.

Kids starting at 3 years old , in the past they didn't, how much more do you want them to study? It's the schools you go to but they can't prepare them if the exams keeping changing to newer systems. Like everything else it's getting tougher. Try keeping a business opened today etc.
What more do they want from the people??

Gov had an easy life.
Definitely not; people are still confused by the 9-1 grades anyway. What a waste of time and money :s-smilie:
Original post by kazzykat95
Definitely not; people are still confused by the 9-1 grades anyway. What a waste of time and money :s-smilie:

This was proposed in 2013.

Latest

Trending

Trending