The Student Room Group

Aqa Business BUSS4 Unit 4 June 20 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Does anyone have some high graded essay response answers for both section A and B?? I would be so grateful,if you could attach or email it to me? ..
I'm an external candidate ,so I haven't got a teacher ..
Reply 61
Can someone tell me some company examples of contingency planning ..
Reply 62
Original post by Kemz
Can someone tell me some company examples of contingency planning ..

Im going to use Zappos, they got hacked in 2011, personal details were taken and there was a fear of identity theft, Zappos had prepared for this and automatically told the users affected to change their password. However Tony Hsieh apoligised and the companys reputation was slightly damaged by PR at the time.
Original post by success123
Hi, thank you sooo much ,this really helped. Just a quick question , you said I should link my answers and examples to the business I researched.. Do I still mention the stimulus case study at the same time or?..

and in terms of the section B theory .. Are you suggesting I only mainly carry out the aqa guideline research and link it to my section B answers also??

once again. Thank you for your detailed response

Hi,
For section A, I've been told that you should refer back to the stimulus case study at least twice in your essay. So I would probably write about that case study and two other businesses (apart from the stimulus case study) in section A. The case study should be about a popular business/market, so writing about it shouldn't really be a problem.

For section B, I would advise you to look at a range of different businesses, not specifically the ones from the aqa guideline research. However, you can use them if you feel as though they link with the question well. For example, Royal Mail can be used for loads of essays, like leadership (Moya Greene), technological change (letters > parcels), factors affecting change (employees resistance), etc.
But if I were you I would look at a variety of different businesses. If you have the BUSS4 specification, I would say choose a few businesses from each major heading in the specification. That way, you know your covered :wink:
Reply 64
Original post by Hunty27
Im going to use Zappos, they got hacked in 2011, personal details were taken and there was a fear of identity theft, Zappos had prepared for this and automatically told the users affected to change their password. However Tony Hsieh apoligised and the companys reputation was slightly damaged by PR at the time.

Okay thank you?!! Is there a company example in which a contingency plan didn't work?
Original post by Kemz
Okay thank you?!! Is there a company example in which a contingency plan didn't work?

BP? They didn't handle the Deepwater Horizon oil spill very well. It claimed 11 lives and BP were fined $4.525 billion dollars.
Reply 66
Original post by TheGreenArrow
BP? They didn't handle the Deepwater Horizon oil spill very well. It claimed 11 lives and BP were fined $4.525 billion dollars.

They also did an investigation and found that BP had under estimated the amount spilled and for breaching safety may be fined more:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2013/feb/21/bp-oil-spill-gulf-mexico-fines
Reply 67
Just remembered, there's a bank called Metro Bank, might be worth looking at if you wanted to compare and contrast cultures in the same industry briefly for instance in one paragraph.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Original post by codejack
they also did an investigation and found that bp had under estimated the amount spilled and for breaching safety may be fined more:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2013/feb/21/bp-oil-spill-gulf-mexico-fines

Original post by thegreenarrow
bp? They didn't handle the deepwater horizon oil spill very well. It claimed 11 lives and bp were fined $4.525 billion dollars.

thanks guys !! :d
Reply 70
Does anyone have any sample essays for section B?!

Once again I can help with section A

x
Reply 71
Can anyone bullet point some answers for these questions thanks:smile:
Does a strong organisational culture guarantee business success in the long-term?

Is new leadership required to successfully change a weak organisational culture?

Do you agree that organisational culture is the most source of competitive advantage?

Is leadership the most important influence on organisational culture?

"A strong organisational culture is one that encourages and rewards risk-taking". Do you agree?

Is a weak organisational culture the most likely cause of business failure?

Are cultural differences within an organisation an opportunity or a threat to business success?

Can organisational culture be changed without the support of employees?

At the heart of all successful businesses is a strong organisational culture. Do you agree?

Are organisations that most need to change their culture least likely to achieve successful change?
Please can someone post their notes on business examples for mergers and takeovers, I have a feeling this may come up??
Reply 73
For Section A it always says; "with reference to your own research and the item above" how many paragraphs do we need to do on the case study?
Reply 74
Original post by peter24601
For Section A it always says; "with reference to your own research and the item above" how many paragraphs do we need to do on the case study?

I think you need to write one para for (using the case study) and another for (using your own research) and one against (using the case study) and another against (using your own research) and then evaluation... I'm not too sure but that's what I've read from past comments by students and teachers! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by Gurd33p
my teacher said that to gain the highest marks in section A u need to refer to the case study at least twice.

Hopefully we'll get a decent case study which is easy to apply to the questions :smile:

So does that mean two separate paragraphs of the for and against?
Reply 76
So does that mean two separate paragraphs of the for and against?

yh. it's better to use it in 2 separate paragraphs rather than refer to it twice in one point. u'll probably get more application marks for using the info to support 2 different points
Reply 77

1 :smile: just compare it to something x
Reply 78
Original post by Gurd33p
it's too big too upload and it's over 30 pages so i cba to do it page by page. If u want i can message it to u

ahhh I think I've found it!! Thank you x
Reply 79
Original post by Gurd33p
my teacher said that to gain the highest marks in section A u need to refer to the case study at least twice.

Hopefully we'll get a decent case study which is easy to apply to the questions :smile:

My teacher only said one.. but I can see what your saying about using it in 2 separate paragraphs.. But wont that just make it so complicated?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending