The Student Room Group

Are Arts subjects like Philosophy, Politics and History now seen as 'useless'?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by pickup

Philosophy gets you to think about what life is for, politics what you might do about it and history what has already been tried.

I've never studied philosophy in my life, and I think about stuff like that all the time, it's not worth a degree for the sake of it.

Some countries insist that every one studies them at school as the basis of culture and being able to make important decisions as an adult.

Some countries insist that every one studies them at school as the basis of culture and being able to make important decisions as an adult.

at school
Original post by Blueray2
Politics is not useless. It helps us understand the world around us mroe fully, and if you want to live in a world dominiated by potlicians who will con the gneral public like you in everyway possible, then fine call it useless and let them do what they like, since most of you think politicis is "useless", you wont know how to fully defend yourself accordingly and will be conned day in and day out.

The other arts subjects are not useless either.
Do you want everyone in the world to learn 3 sciences and maths, go on be my guest, it will become so boring and dull, everyone will be repeating the same facts over and over again and will become regurgitators and due to crazy levels of competition many will be disappointed when they don't become doctors.

This world needs a mix of people, getting rid of creative subjects severely renders progress in other ways and quite frankly, whoever suggests these subjects are useless, are useless themselves.

If all you can do is memorise body parts and not "think" for yourself, then you are useless.

I agree that arts subjects aren't useless, but science/maths degrees probably require much the most rational thinking out of all degrees... you can't get a first in Biology by just memorising body parts :tongue: that's like saying History is just memorising events and facts!
Original post by justinawe
I agree that arts subjects aren't useless, but science/maths degrees probably require much the most rational thinking out of all degrees... you can't get a first in Biology by just memorising body parts :tongue: that's like saying History is just memorising events and facts!

You could say that for everything, but you have to be honest, philosophy requires way more thinking and applying stuff as opposed to biology, where you mainly have to memorise stuff and learn 6 markers mark schemes and apply it to each question, but the hsw questions are pretty straight forward once you get used to them :smile:

Edit: What how you can disagree with that? Did you guys not sit the biology unit 2 exams just a few days ago?!
(edited 10 years ago)
Tbh it actually is :colondollar: But then again, you could say that for everything, but you have to be honest, philosophy requires way more thinking and applying stuff as opposed to biology, where you mainly have to memorise cell structures and learn 6 markers mark schemes and apply it to each question, also the hsw questions are pretty straight foward once you get used to them :smile:

That isn't all history is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Skip_Snip
I've never studied philosophy in my life, and I think about stuff like that all the time, it's not worth a degree for the sake of it.

How do you know you're doing it right just because you do it off your own back?

That's like saying I don't need to study maths to degree level because I can work out my own tax return...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tbh it actually is :colondollar: But then again, you could say that for everything, but you have to be honest, philosophy requires way more thinking and applying stuff as opposed to biology, where you mainly have to memorise cell structures and learn 6 markers mark schemes and apply it to each question, also the hsw questions are pretty straight foward once you get used to them :smile:

Well, yes, what you're saying is true about A-levels, but this thread is about degrees.
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis

That's like saying I don't need to study maths to degree level because I can work out my own tax return...

Posted from TSR Mobile

There jobs out there that require an understanding of advanced mathematics, though.
Reply 27

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it's subjective, there is no right or wrong :wink:

Thoughts in head or words in discussion aren't comparable to the applications of a math-based degree
There jobs out there that require an understanding of advanced mathematics, though.

I realise that, but that was not the point I was making. I was trying to show how limited that particular line of argument was by highlighting how narrow the poster's view is.

Maths was perhaps a poor example.

Perhaps a better one is me believing I'm as good at football as Messi because I can dribble from one end of a football field to the other.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mr hyde
The point still stands for physicists, chemists etc. It sounds like you're doing A levels right now - science A levels are nothing like science degrees. Don't assume that because you have to memorise a bunch of laws for Physics A level that that's all physics undergraduates do.

And if you think the sciences are so boring and dull, why study them in the first place?

Well said :^_^:
I realise that, but that was not the point I was making. I was trying to show how limited that particular line of argument was by highlighting how narrow the poster's view is.

Maths was perhaps a poor example.

Perhaps a better one is me believing I'm as good at football as Messi because I can dribble from one end of a football field to the other.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, I agree, I just didn't quite like that particular argument :tongue:
If it's subjective, there is no right or wrong :wink:

Thoughts in head or words in discussion aren't comparable to the applications of a math-based degree

If you'd done a philosophy degree you would realise how naive the argument 'it's subjective' is :P.

Yes, there is perhaps no hard right or wrong and subjectivity plays it's part, but there are certainly stronger and weaker ways of approaching philosophical issues such as the meaning of life.

There are also multiple ways of analysing it philosophically, and I doubt you think of them all whilst you're staring at the clouds out if your bedroom window :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know, I agree, I just didn't quite like that particular argument :tongue:

Fair.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That isn't all history is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, yes, what you're saying is true about A-levels, but this thread is about degrees.

Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Well said :^_^:

Well a levels build onto degrees (or so the teachers claim to) :colone: Yeah I know thats not what history just is.
History useless?

There's quite a difference between just 'thinking' about something, and actually studying it in depth. Like just reading a biology textbook is quite difference to actually studying it.
Well a levels build onto degrees (or so the teachers claim to) :colone: Yeah I know thats not what history just is.

I wasn't talking about History, I was just agreeing with her that A Level Physics is nothing like degree level Physics
Reply 37
There is little to be gained in comparing science degrees to arts degrees.

If you are interested in philosophy, history or politics then study those subjects as they will be of use to you as they suit your interests.

Studying arts subjects at degree level isn't just dependent on the employment prospects, even though that does play a role. I would think that any rational student would choose to study something they enjoy and can excel in rather than just considering the end goal.
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
I wasn't talking about History, I was just agreeing with her that A Level Physics is nothing like degree level Physics

Fair enough, in what way is it different? Do you not learn about motion particles etc, just in more detail?
Fair enough, in what way is it different? Do you not learn about motion particles etc, just in more detail?

My understanding (gained from physics friends) is that you get told everything you've learnt to date is far too simple and inadequate, and that all those nice neat laws you know are in fact not quite so nice and neat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending