The Student Room Group

Resolution 2013/3 – Regarding nuclear weapons in Hypes

The following resolution has been received from the Australian rep.

There will be a week of debate, followed by 3 days of voting as per the Charter.

Resolution
For the General Assembly

Australia,

Noting the unorganised and unfair way in which the use of nuclear weapons during the Hype 2013/2 was agreed upon,
Hoping to improve the running of the MUN and the Hypes,
Wishes to make the following changes to the way in which Hypes are run:

All military movements must be submitted to the Secretary-General, who will post the movement as a Newsflash within the Hype thread.

All combat engagement reports must be submitted to the Secretary-General, who will determine if the report is realistic, edit it as necessary, and then post it as a Newsflash within the Hype thread.

If any representative wishes to launch nuclear weapons during a Hype, they must submit a petition to the Secretary-General, who will then post it as two day poll in the Security Council subforum. The petition should contain what type of nuclear weapons are to be used, and the intended target. Security Council members will vote out of character on whether or not to allow nuclear weapons on the basis of whether or not there is credible evidence that the nation possesses nuclear weapons, and whether or not the intended target is within credible range. Nuclear weapons will be allowed if there is a 'yes' vote of 50% or more. There will be no vetos allowed.

If a petition to launch nuclear weapons is submitted, then the Secretary-General must not accept any Newsflashes until the two day polling period is complete, and the result announced. Newsflashes cannot be posted retroactively for the two day polling period after the polling is complete.

If a petition to launch nuclear weapons is passed by the Security Council, then all nations may use nuclear weapons in that Hype. No further petitions need to be submitted.

If a petition to launch nuclear weapons is rejected by the Security Council, then the same nation may not submit another petition within three days of the previous petition. Another nation may submit a petition at any time, however.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Background info please??

I thought Nukes were the last resort, If people are choosing it as the first option then it is unacceptable

How about States respect the various conventions regarding war
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Morgsie
Background info please??

I thought Nukes were the last resort, If people are choosing it as the first option then it is unacceptable

How about States respect the various conventions regarding war

Well, basically what happened during the last Hype was that North Korea was getting hammered by a joint NATO alliance. We were making outrageous claims about how far we had progressed in the invasion, and so were they. In the end we were rapidly approaching Pyongyang, and the NK rep wanted to use his nukes (perfectly in character, IMO), but he couldn't until the SC voted.

However, there was no real procedure in place, so it was all a bit chaotic. Also, he was a sitting duck because we could still make conventional military movements, but he couldn't do anything.
Reply 3
Original post by Qwertish
Well, basically what happened during the last Hype was that North Korea was getting hammered by a joint NATO alliance. We were making outrageous claims about how far we had progressed in the invasion, and so were they. In the end we were rapidly approaching Pyongyang, and the NK rep wanted to use his nukes (perfectly in character, IMO), but he couldn't until the SC voted.

However, there was no real procedure in place, so it was all a bit chaotic. Also, he was a sitting duck because we could still make conventional military movements, but he couldn't do anything.

TBH I didn't pay attention to the lat hype, had lots on.

Thanks for the info
Well 1 and 2 are both rules already. It's pretty much a given. Number 3 is a good idea as long as the process doesn't drag on too much and frankly if number 3 is implemented it really should be a majority, as in more than say 70%. I really wouldn't like to see such a proposal pass and for nukes to be used in hypes if the proposal to use nukes only passes by a few percent.
I disagree with number 4, I don't think all newsflashes should be ceased. There can still be movement in the hype although I understand why that was put in. Sometimes things can move so fast in hypes you can think up a reply in one moment and then by the time you reply via actions or via a resolution your reply is outdated and you're behind. Sometimes you can be gone for half a day or for a few hours and the situation in hypes progress rapidly.
Number 5 I'm unsure about but I think number 6 is a good idea.

All in all an interesting proposal. Well thought out and well written I might add.

I mean....in the opinion of Argentina.
Reply 5
The only issue i see with this is that it would slow down the hyp considerably if we had the two day waiting period, and we did have the vote in the SC on the use of Nuclear weapons which passed..albeit DPRK never get to use theres :L
Reply 6
Original post by thunder_chunky
Well 1 and 2 are both rules already. It's pretty much a given. Number 3 is a good idea as long as the process doesn't drag on too much and frankly if number 3 is implemented it really should be a majority, as in more than say 70%. I really wouldn't like to see such a proposal pass and for nukes to be used in hypes if the proposal to use nukes only passes by a few percent.
I disagree with number 4, I don't think all newsflashes should be ceased. There can still be movement in the hype although I understand why that was put in. Sometimes things can move so fast in hypes you can think up a reply in one moment and then by the time you reply via actions or via a resolution your reply is outdated and you're behind. Sometimes you can be gone for half a day or for a few hours and the situation in hypes progress rapidly.
Number 5 I'm unsure about but I think number 6 is a good idea.

All in all an interesting proposal. Well thought out and well written I might add.

I mean....in the opinion of Argentina.

1&2: Well, they're not in the charter or the GD, so I figured I might as well include them in here.

3: I didn't want to have a massively long voting period, but I felt one day would be too short which is why it's 2 days. Hm, maybe a majority of 3:4 (minimum of 6 yes votes)?

4: I could change that to engagement reports only (but no new movements). So battles and things can continue, but no big changes until the nuclear issue is sorted.

5: Once nukes have been okayed and one nation uses then, I think it would be silly to need another vote before any retaliation can take place.
Reply 7
Original post by cl_steele
The only issue i see with this is that it would slow down the hyp considerably if we had the two day waiting period, and we did have the vote in the SC on the use of Nuclear weapons which passed..albeit DPRK never get to use theres :L

That could work to an advantage. If there's going to be a two day slowed down period, people might not be as trigger happy with the nukes? :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Original post by Qwertish
That could work to an advantage. If there's going to be a two day slowed down period, people might not be as trigger happy with the nukes? :rolleyes:

Dont be a buzz kill -_-
But in all seriousness nukes havent been used in a hype for a longgggg time as mentioned before it was probably just me and kiss getting trigger happy controlling the major nucelar powers :tongue:
This is probably a very sensible resolution to pass, but is it placing undue stress on the SG to ask them to approve every military movement which may occur during the course of a hype?
Reply 10
Original post by broadwayrachael
This is probably a very sensible resolution to pass, but is it placing undue stress on the SG to ask them to approve every military movement which may occur during the course of a hype?

Technically this has always been the case either the SG or DSG authorizes military movements or atleast posts them but as things heat up as you said it becomes a pain for them and everyone else... although it is quite amusing seeing conflicting activities taking place sometimes :rolleyes:
Technically this has always been the case either the SG or DSG authorizes military movements or atleast posts them but as things heat up as you said it becomes a pain for them and everyone else... although it is quite amusing seeing conflicting activities taking place sometimes :rolleyes:

Haha, yes, I suppose so! :tongue:
Reply 12
Original post by broadwayrachael

They're supposed to anyway, I just couldn't find it written down anywhere, so I thought I'd include it.
Reply 13
Original post by Birchington
QFA

I feel since this entire resolution is aimed squarely at Birchington and he'll bare the brunt of the work load we should give him a say in this :tongue:
Reply 14
Kicked North Korea's sorry ass back to the stone age :cool:
Reply 15
Original post by Kiss
Kicked North Korea's sorry ass back to the stone age :cool:

Almost feel bad for them :colone:
Reply 16
Almost feel bad for them :colone:

Nahhhh :colone:
OOC: the outcome of that hype was inevitable anyway, it'd always be the DPRK getting nuke-raped by the west.
Reply 18
Original post by Cheese_Monster
OOC: the outcome of that hype was inevitable anyway, it'd always be the DPRK getting nuke-raped by the west.

Well in fairness, so did every major power aswell, Russia, China and the USA all got demolished :tongue:
Reply 19
Well in fairness, so did every major power aswell, Russia, China and the USA all got demolished :tongue:

Only cause China tried to defend the despot :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending