The Student Room Group

Smoking In The Car

Cannot understand the need to pass legislation on this because of one fundamental reason. If you are stupid enough, if you are ridiculously stupid enough to smoke in front of your kids; nee anyone's kids no matter the circumstances, car, kitchen whatever then no amount of legislation can make up for your stupidity, you are simply a bad parent.

I cannot believe that legislation is even being considered. Bad parenting is at fault here, not a loophole in the law.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There's also the fact that pissing around with cigarettes is just as bad as holding a phone
Reply 2
Original post by Skip_Snip
There's also the fact that pissing around with cigarettes is just as bad as holding a phone

Pissing about with your air con and your radio can be just as bad as a phone. Don't open that can of worms.
Reply 3
Original post by uktotalgamer
Pissing about with your air con and your radio can be just as bad as a phone. Don't open that can of worms.

Both only take a few seconds. Smoking lasts several at least.
Reply 4

Still the same can of worms.
Reply 5
Original post by uktotalgamer
Still the same can of worms.

Deflecting his argument because it goes against what you think?
Reply 6
Original post by Jophesxi
Deflecting his argument because it goes against what you think?

Hardly.
Reply 7
What business is it of the government looking to prevent people smoking in their own cars? Education is answer, not criminalisation of people.

What next, banning people from smoking in their own homes?
Reply 8

I smoke when I drive and I can tell you it isn't. With a phone, you have to look away from the road. With a fag you can still keep your eyes on the road.
Reply 9
I have been with several people who smoke in their cars. Never once have I seen a single cigarette butt kept in that car. That can only mean that the douche-bags are littering the remnants of their filthy habit all over the road ways. We could make the same assumption about almost every person who elects to smoke in their cars. If someone smokes in their car and they don't have a nasty ash-tray full of disgusting, stinking, cigarette butts in their foul smoke smelling vehicle, then they are just another a-hole treating the world as their personal ash-tray.
Reply 10
So because of bad parenting we should allow parents to harm their kids? What have the kids done to deserve it?
Well, mom smokes in the car. Jesus is OK with it but we can't tell dad.
Original post by Heliosphan
What business is it of the government looking to prevent people smoking in their own cars? Education is answer, not criminalisation of people.

Smoking in your own car, whilst parked, off the roads, is your business. The same goes for smoking at home (though I would hope they're smart enough not to smoke in the same area as children).

Doing anything in your car, whilst on public highways, becomes government business and policies which must affect us all. I understand that people believe their bodies are their own, but you don't have to be a tinfoil hat conspiracist to understand that legislation does affect what we may do with our bodies. Pretty much everything you eat or drink is controlled in the same way... That's not crazy man thinking, that's just how it is.

Changing the radio station may easily be aborted whilst driving, whereas smoking requires more effort (especially if holding a smoulding piece of paper in your hands). Vehicle controls are also not drugs and do not cause those sorts of side effects. Some people do show negative side effects to smoking, such as light headedness, which may degrade their ability to drive.

While driving, you should be driving.
Original post by SillyEddy
Smoking in your own car, whilst parked, off the roads, is your business. The same goes for smoking at home (though I would hope they're smart enough not to smoke in the same area as children).

Doing anything in your car, whilst on public highways, becomes government business and policies which must affect us all. I understand that people believe their bodies are their own, but you don't have to be a tinfoil hat conspiracist to understand that legislation does affect what we may do with our bodies. Pretty much everything you eat or drink is controlled in the same way... That's not crazy man thinking, that's just how it is.

Changing the radio station may easily be aborted whilst driving, whereas smoking requires more effort (especially if holding a smoulding piece of paper in your hands). Vehicle controls are also not drugs and do not cause those sorts of side effects. Some people do show negative side effects to smoking, such as light headedness, which may degrade their ability to drive.

While driving, you should be driving.

Unless I'm mistaken, the proposed legislation only makes it a criminal act to smoke in a car where a child is present. Therefore, the government ( currently) doesn't agree with your premise that smoking whilst driving is any more dangerous than say, taking your eyes off the road and fiddling with a radio. Can you quantify your assertion with any statistics or is it conjecture?

I maintain, that education is the answer. I say this because I think any parent who smokes in a car in the presence of a child is just as likely to smoke in their home in the presence of a child. And furthermore, it could be argued, that such flippant parenting is also likely to manifest itself in other ways such as an unhealthy diet.

This is little more than government posturing to provide the illusion that it is tackling public health issues. The reality is that this idea would fall short of its objective and have an overall effectiveness rating of somewhere between nil and negligible.

Think of the children though, eh?

Garbage.

What about eating an apple?
Fiddling with your ipod?
Turning round to tell the kids off?
Being very tired?
Turning your head to look at accidents on the other side of the road?
Original post by Scumbaggio
Garbage.

What about eating an apple?
Fiddling with your ipod?
Turning round to tell the kids off?
Being very tired?
Turning your head to look at accidents on the other side of the road?

I copped an eyeful of a girl in a short skirt walking along the pavement earlier and nearly drove into a ditch.

Add that to the list, short skirts are a menace! :biggrin:
I copped an eyeful of a girl in a short skirt walking along the pavement earlier and nearly drove into a ditch.

Add that to the list, short skirts are a menace! :biggrin:

ha ha

agreed.

I disagree. Plenty of people have been able to smoke whilst driving for years without problems or hassle. Legislating on this could be a step too far if they are serious.
Reply 18
Smoking in your own car alone is better than smoking at home with children present so passing a legislation just makes the situation worse.

Smokers are vermin. Let's face it, anyone who smokes shows that they have no discipline are weak and frankly deserve whatever cancer comes to them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending