The Student Room Group

Why do Americans use the word "r*tarded ?

Why do Americans use the word "retarded" ? It's a highly offensive word in the UK, the word "*******" was used here before it became socially unacceptable many decades ago.

Why have they not recognized how offensive the word is?

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
U wot m8?
Reply 2
American's aren't the only ones who use it. I've heard british people use it too :erm:
Reply 3
Because not everyone is unduly sensitive.
Reply 4
Lighten up you *******.
Original post by Tim2341
Why have they not recognized how offensive the word is?

Because they're retarded.
Reply 6
Interesting
Reply 7
For god's sake, what isn't offensive these days?
Reply 8
Ah, great word, i like it! I'd like to use it more often in conversation.
everyone uses it
Original post by arkhamz
For god's sake, what isn't offensive these days?

oh I do wish you wouldn't take the lord's name in vain.
Reply 11
unfortunately i have to use the word retard a lot when playing games, this wouldn't happen if people weren't so ****ing r_tarded though
Pretty sure Ricky Gervais did a sketch about something like this - possibly the word "mong".

People use it these days to mean a variety of things. Like mong, it doesn't refer to a specific demographic (AKA those with special needs, or the mentally retarded... that's an actual term by the way so even less reason for it to be classed as an insult). If I call my brother a retard, it's because it's a stronger word than moron/imbecile and because I can't say **** in front of my parents.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
I use both the words retarded and spastic often comparing them to Harvey Price.

Hate me.
Reply 14
I'm pretty sure all English speaking cultures use the word retarded. That particular word does sound better with an American accent though. "ree-tor-did" sounds so much more appropriate to its' meaning than "ri-ta-ded".
Reply 15
I have retarded ejaculation.

Pre ejaculaters hate on me.
Original post by Tim2341
Why do Americans use the word "r_tarded ? It's a highly offensive word in the UK

No-one cares :angry:
Reply 17
Original post by desdemonata
Pretty sure Ricky Gervais did a sketch about something like this - possibly the word "mong".

People use it these days to mean a variety of things. Like mong, it doesn't refer to a specific demographic (AKA those with special needs, or the mentally retarded... that's an actual term by the way so even less reason for it to be classed as an insult). If I call my brother a retard, it's because it's a stronger word than moron/imbecile and because I can't say **** in front of my parents.

Yes, well the 'c' word is a very very naughty word indeed.
Reply 18
Original post by Snagprophet
No-one cares :angry:

Are U not supposd to be religious with principles? Religion of Peace and the rest of it
Reply 19
it's OK to use the word Retard as a noun. It is derived from ****tard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending