The Student Room Group

I have 2 options and can't make my mind up

I have an offer to enter into 3rd year to study Mechatronics at Edinburgh Napier. I'd love to go to Edinburgh but the whole stigma of Napier and it's low ranking is putting me off. I've asked a few people who studied there and their opinion wasn't exactly high.

Or I have an offer for 2nd year for Mechanical Engineering at University of Dundee.

Again, everyone I've spoken to has told me Mechanical Engineering is the better field.

I'm just looking for a bit of advice really

In summary

Edinburgh Napier - Mechatronics - 3rd year
University of Dundee - Mechanical Engineering - 2nd year
Reply 1
Original post by TmTTF
I have an offer to enter into 3rd year to study Mechatronics at Edinburgh Napier. I'd love to go to Edinburgh but the whole stigma of Napier and it's low ranking is putting me off. I've asked a few people who studied there and their opinion wasn't exactly high.

Or I have an offer for 2nd year for Mechanical Engineering at University of Dundee.

Again, everyone I've spoken to has told me Mechanical Engineering is the better field.

I'm just looking for a bit of advice really

In summary

Edinburgh Napier - Mechatronics - 3rd year
University of Dundee - Mechanical Engineering - 2nd year

I wouldn't put too much weight on what year of entry it's going to be. 1 extra year in the long run is going to be nothing. You've got to ask yourself what course and what university YOU would prefer (not anyone else). Read up the course descriptions, look at the modules, maybe speak to some employers to see what degree they'd favour. Go with whatever degree you think you'll find more interesting. Also take into account the universities/cities. Do some research on Dundee/Edinburgh and try to work out what city would suit you best. They're not drastically different though.

Quick Reply

Latest