The Student Room Group

Classics Applications for 2014

With most of the AS exams over - all mine are anyway! - I thought I'd start a thread for people considering applying to study Classics in 2014 (i.e. going through the application process this year.)

Where are you going to apply, and what are you doing to prepare? What are you going to put in your Personal Statement?

I've done AS exams in Latin, English Literature, History and Business Studies. Fingers crossed for As in all of them: if I do I'm planning to apply to Oxford, Exeter, Durham, UCL and King's College.

My school doesn't offer Latin, so I did AS with an hour a week from a private tutor, and a lot of study on my own!

My main motivation for studying Classics is its interdisciplinary nature - I have a huge amount of varied and different interests, and I feel that Classics would allow me to continue with a range of them effectively at degree level.

What has everyone done/going to do for stuff to put in your Personal Statement? I'm really not sure what to write about. My main interest is in the language (Latin at the moment, plus Greek at uni), and so I haven't read a huge amount of myth, for example. I tend to be more interested in history, politics, linguistics; looking at the Personal Statement examples around the Internet, I don't have much general Classics stuff to talk about! For example, see this one: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement:Classics_2

Looking at this makes me look pretty rubbish! I haven't visited Italy; can't say I'm (particularly) interested in Greek art; haven't done Greek A Level (although obviously this is okay); don't run Classics clubs at school (I can't imagine them exactly taking off!); and haven't "found a second home in the British Museum". So I'm now rather worried as to what I'm going to talk about!

Anyway, how are other people getting on?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey there. While you're waiting for a reply to your post, we thought we'd give your thread a timely bump.

But don't twiddle your thumbs in the meantime! Kick off your revision and study time by heading to our Learn Together section.

In Learn Together, you'll find interactive study tools to help make your revision quicker and easier. We've also got thousands of handpicked assignments analysed by great teachers, so you can learn from top-marked work. And there's tons more too: get started on Learn Together now!
Reply 2
I think the main thing about classics is to read around the subject. There is not a lot of opportunities for work experience in the classics area so that isn't a huge issue. If you want to go to Oxford something one of the dons told me about is the JACT Greek summer school. I think it may be too late to apply now but you could see about going next year. It is around £600 which is a lot of money but they are very generous with bursaries. If you have an opportunity to go to a museum you should definitely go. You don't seem particularly interested in art so perhaps focus on literature or history. Also BBC 4 always has amazing Classics videos. Recently they have had a series called Mothers, Murderers and Mistresses; Empresses of Rome which has been fascinating as it is all about the wives of emperors. So far it has looked at Livia, Julia, Agrippina the elder, Agrippina the younger and Messalina. if you get the chance watch it; the presenter's a bit annoying but other than that it's great. One of the things you have working for you is that you took time out of your schedule and worked independently to study Latin and you could possibly exploit that in your PS. Also do you have any ideas yet about where to apply? Finally, although I may respond again later, you could see about possibly doing an EPQ over the summer. I don't know if you know about it but an EPQ is essentially the best part of the IB (to me) and is an extended research project on any topic of your choice. Doing one and then talking about it in your PS would not only give you something to talk about but would also show unis how dedicated you are to studying classics, displaying your passion and your research skills.
Reply 3
Hello there! I'm also applying for Classics at Oxford, with History, Class Civ and Maths. What are you focussing on for extra reading? :smile:
Reply 4
Hey, Im applying for Classics at Oxford, Durham, Edinburgh, Bristol. Ive got History, Physics, English Lit, Latin and EP.
However, Im struggling for PS topics. Trying to find some individual way to express what has been expressed by hundreds before me...
In addition, I shot myself in the foot by swapping my Uni Course half way through the year from Int. Relations to Classics so my EP title isn't quite classical... "Why is the UN an ineffective Peacekeeping force".

Anyone wants to shoot me some ideas for the Personal Statement feel free!
Hoping to apply to Oxford, UCL, Durham, Edinburgh and KCL for 2014 entry. I've already got As in Latin and Ancient Greek, and am doing English, French, Economics, Politics and General Studies aside from that. Hopefully will do well enough in the A2 exams this week for As or A*s in the Classical subjects.
Reply 6
Thanks everyone for all the replies.

@LuxVeritatis - that is a seriously impressive list of A Levels, hope the A2 exams went well.

@pomegranates - I think - I hope, anyway - that universities are looking for your passions and your interests in the Personal Statement, so if Ancient Greece does it for you, go for it! I'm in a similar boat to you, in that my PS (as it stands) is predominantly about Latin. I hope this is okay, because Latin is (at the moment) what I'm most passionate about.

In my Personal Statement, I have mentioned these things:

*Latin Open University course (A297) which I completed last year (passed with distinction).
*Latin AS texts (Ovid and Cicero), with particular reference to the historical and political context of Amores 3.4, as an example of my interest in Latin literature.
*I'm reading the Latin Vulgate Bible.
*For History A2 coursework, I will choose (in the next few weeks!) a Roman history topic.
*And some other interesting things I do which are not directly Classics-related.

I'm hoping that's a reasonable cross-section to demonstrate my interest in Classics - what does everyone else think?
Reply 7
@darth_newdar- I think that sounds very well rounded especially because it shows you went out of your way to study Latin. Your PS sounds great as well because at unis, in particular Oxford and Cambridge, you study all of the texts in the original language which is what you did at AS and have displayed you can do in your PS. The best thing to do though is read. If you want to read a but about history read any of Mary Beard's books. She is an idol in the classical world and her books are really highly regarded.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
@JennieM - Thanks! I will definitely get hold of some Mary Beard books, as well.
If Oxford, which colleges are people applying to?
Reply 10
Original post by LuxVeritatis

Corpus Christi :smile: you?
New, I think.
Reply 12
Salvete/chairete/hi guys!

AS results permitting I'll be applying for Classics at Cambridge (Sidney Sussex or Pembroke), Bristol, UCL, Exeter and Kings or Durham.
I've just taken AS in Latin, Greek and Class Civ (and I'm taking AS Ancient History next year).... and reading things.. and going to talks..and Bryanston... and EPQ..
Suffice to say I don't get out much. Really worried about doing personal statement though. :/

*maniacal laughter* classics *further maniacal laughter*

Anyone else at the Cambridge open day this week?
Reply 13
hey everyone i have a quick question. I want to do an EPQ on the year of the Four emperors but am finding it really hard to come up with a good title so i was wondering if any of you had a good idea for a title probably focusing on the cause of it or the effect.Thank you
Reply 14
Amici,

I've done Philosophy, Latin, Maths & FM and Physics for AS, dropped Phil, and I think I'm gonna apply for Oxford (Corpus).

I've read a bit of Euripides, Plutarch etc. but I'm puzzled as to what I can write about the clubs that Im in. I can't find a way to link the Debating Society to Classics at all. D:

As for the written work, I do Maths subjects so I dont think Ill have anything to hand in except for my EPQ, what are you guys gonna hand in for it?

Slightly worry about the CAT as well, there're gonna be some real keen-os going for full marks.

Any help would be most appreciated, cheers!
Reply 15
Original post by PodgyBoy
I've read a bit of Euripides, Plutarch etc. but I'm puzzled as to what I can write about the clubs that Im in. I can't find a way to link the Debating Society to Classics at all. D:

The art of rhetoric was the foundation of an excellent education in Rome - read some Cicero and you'll understand where most modern debating techniques come from...

Not everything in your personal statement has to link to Classics, however, because it's not going to be as if your entire life is devoted to it and evidence of your other interests shows you to be a well rounded person.

As for the written work, I do Maths subjects so I dont think Ill have anything to hand in except for my EPQ, what are you guys gonna hand in for it?

Don't you do essay practice in Latin - or at least in Philosophy, although you've dropped it (bear in mind there is a compulsory Philosophy paper in Classics Mods at Oxford)? I would suggest you speak to your Latin teacher to suggest some topics for you at the start of next term if you don't have anything suitable. As per the guidelines on Oxford's Classics website, they suggest you send in one essay and one commentary - I wrote something on the portrayal of Pentheus as a tragic figure in the Bacchae, and a commentary on part of the Verrines which we were studying for A2 at the time (neither were particularly good, and I only did "about average" in the CATs as well, but I still got in!)
Reply 16
read some Cicero and you'll understand where most modern debating techniques come from...

Ah okay, cool. That should be really useful, I've got a penguin collection on his political speeches that wouldn't go amiss.

Not everything in your personal statement has to link to Classics, however, because it's not going to be as if your entire life is devoted to it and evidence of your other interests shows you to be a well rounded person.

Okay, that makes sense. I can relax a bit now.

Don't you do essay practice in Latin - or at least in Philosophy, although you've dropped it (bear in mind there is a compulsory Philosophy paper in Classics Mods at Oxford)? I would suggest you speak to your Latin teacher to suggest some topics for you at the start of next term if you don't have anything suitable. As per the guidelines on Oxford's Classics website, they suggest you send in one essay and one commentary - I wrote something on the portrayal of Pentheus as a tragic figure in the Bacchae, and a commentary on part of the Verrines which we were studying for A2 at the time (neither were particularly good, and I only did "about average" in the CATs as well, but I still got in!)

That's really interesting! I've just finished reading the Bacchae and there's plenty to be written about that in there. "Bull leading man to the slaughter-ring" I think a line is. I have a few really good philosophy essays though so I might just use them.

My biggest problem is that I have too much in my personal statement at the moment. I actually contrast Ovid and Virgil in my second paragraph, to show what I've learnt from A level, but I'm not sure if this is excessive or not.

If you'd be willing to help I would be most grateful if I could send you a draft, to see what you think.

Cheers
Reply 17
Hey there, I've only recently decided on a plan to do classics at uni 2014 , and I am curious to know why you picked those uni's, because right now, even though Oxford is more renowned for the course, I'm probably going to apply for Cambridge. But that's really it, I'm not too sure on the other uni's.

It also seems that we are quite different in our areas of classics, as I lean more towards the literature and art aspect, as we are focusing more on that at school. But obviously the Latin language is still a fascinating and major part of the course .What was your motivation for doing Latin on your own? My school didn't originally do Latin at A-level, but I said that I'd continue on from the secondary school to the sixth form if they offered the course, and now there's a class for just two of us.
Reply 18
Hello,

I have done History, Biology, Politics and Latin AS levels and I am certain I want to apply to either Oxford/Cambridge and Edinburgh if my grades are good enough.

I am really interested in ancient history, literature and philosophy and would love to do an EPQ. But my problem
is I cannot decide on a topic. I learnt a bit about Socrates by reading some of Plato and I also have read a bit about Catullus and Ovid.

I have written some of my personal statement but I'm just a little stuck about how to express my passion for the literature.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks
Reply 19
Sorry for not posting for a while, been busy recently!

Original post by LuxVeritatis

St John's

Original post by PodgyBoy
Amici,

I've done Philosophy, Latin, Maths & FM and Physics for AS, dropped Phil, and I think I'm gonna apply for Oxford (Corpus).

Slightly worry about the CAT as well, there're gonna be some real keen-os going for full marks.

Any help would be most appreciated, cheers!

I haven't religiously linked everything to Classics in my Personal Statement - I think it's better not to force stupid links! As long as most of the PS is Classics-based, a few other bits and pieces are fine (I think). I do Latin outside of school, so I haven't really written many essays, like you - I'm submitting one Latin essay and one English essay. For CAT, the only thing I'm trying to do is expand my vocabulary; so hopefully I will recognise at least some of the words under the pressure of the exam!

Original post by Hey_Youx
Hey there, I've only recently decided on a plan to do classics at uni 2014 , and I am curious to know why you picked those uni's, because right now, even though Oxford is more renowned for the course, I'm probably going to apply for Cambridge. But that's really it, I'm not too sure on the other uni's.

It also seems that we are quite different in our areas of classics, as I lean more towards the literature and art aspect, as we are focusing more on that at school. But obviously the Latin language is still a fascinating and major part of the course .What was your motivation for doing Latin on your own? My school didn't originally do Latin at A-level, but I said that I'd continue on from the secondary school to the sixth form if they offered the course, and now there's a class for just two of us.

I chose Oxford partly because its Classics course is more famous, but also because it's much closer, as I live in Dorset. I enjoy linguistics, literature and history probably more than archaeology and art, but I love how everything works together! I originally started a beginner's Latin course when I was about 12, really enjoyed it, and it's just gone on from there really. I genuinely find learning it fun, if very challenging!

Original post by Pinko_B
Hello,

I have done History, Biology, Politics and Latin AS levels and I am certain I want to apply to either Oxford/Cambridge and Edinburgh if my grades are good enough.

I am really interested in ancient history, literature and philosophy and would love to do an EPQ. But my problem
is I cannot decide on a topic. I learnt a bit about Socrates by reading some of Plato and I also have read a bit about Catullus and Ovid.

I have written some of my personal statement but I'm just a little stuck about how to express my passion for the literature.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks

In my PS, I have given a few specific examples from Cicero and Ovid; I certainly found this helpful in talking about the literature, so it might help you too. Good luck with it all!

Replies done! I've finished my PS and my UCAS form now, I've actually changed Bristol to Durham for my application. I've read some books, watched some good TV programmes (Mary Beard on Caligula was particularly enjoyable a couple of weeks ago.) I'm generally pretty happy with my application at the moment - just hoping AS results are all okay next week! And then I'll have to decide which A-Level to drop... I can't decide at the moment!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending