The Student Room Group

I'm too mature for my age

This isn't what I've said, other people have commented on how mature I am(and I'm not saying people my age are immature). And this just causes all sorts of problems:

-it feels like people don't understand me(friends and family)
-it doesn't feel like I'll find someone because
a) everyone my age aren't like me
b) older people will think i'm 'immature'
c) people my age who may give me a chance won't understand me

It feels like a vicious cycle. I feel like I'm too different from everyone else.

I'm 18 btw.
Reply 1
im almost 18 in afew months and I get that too
dont worry, its not that bad you know.
in a year or two, alot of others will start maturing :smile: we're just early birds!
Reply 2
34068356.jpg
Reply 3
I had this from like age 17 but largely due to the fact Im the one who has to sort out family problems both personal and finacial,

Stuff like that can age ya mentally,

But I would'nt worry once you find somthing that makes you happy you'l be grand, Like I hate my current job but everyday when I finish I dance down those stairs, run out the door and enjoy my freedom lol.
Original post by MedMed12
im almost 18 in afew months and I get that too
dont worry, its not that bad you know.
in a year or two, alot of others will start maturing :smile: we're just early birds!

People told me for years that my peers would soon mature and catch me up; the problem is that by the time they get there, you've leapt further ahead again.

My solution is simply to befriend people who are older than me: my boyfriend is ten years older than me, my oldest (in the sense of being the one I've known longest) friend is nearly 60, my other friends are all in their mid to late twenties.

I've also noticed that the older I get, the larger the age gap I need between me and the people I get on with. This will become a problem, of course, as all the people I get on with start dying, but hopefully I'll find away around it.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
People told me for years that my peers would soon mature and catch me up; the problem is that by the time they get there, you've leapt further ahead again.

My solution is simply to befriend people who are older than me: my boyfriend is ten years older than me, my oldest (in the sense of being the one I've known longest) friend is nearly 60, my other friends are all in their mid to late twenties.

I've also noticed that the older I get, the larger the age gap I need between me and the people I get on with. This will become a problem, of course, as all the people I get on with start dying, but hopefully I'll find away around it.

theres only to an extent one can mature though?
I have a handful of friends who are at Uni and I get on with them well, but I find at school I can get on with others because we're all focused on our a-levels and Uni at the moment.
Hmm I think you just need to find more like-minded your own age-promise, there are people! :smile:
a girl in the year above has a bf who is early 40s, but she still seems to get on with flatmates and old sixthform friends, evne though she is very mature.
I think it depends mature in what sense.
Instead of providing sympathy and possible solutions, I'm going to suggest that you question your view that you are exceptionally mature for your age. A lot of people feel like that. Unless there is also a substantial amount of the population who are very immature for their age to counteract these worldly ones, if all those who believed they were mature were correct in their conviction, the average maturity level at any given age would increase, thus making many of those who thought they were mature quite average. The image people present to the outside world is often very different to how they are inside. You might feel that people your age only care about getting drunk, for example, but behind their 'care-free', party animal personas they might actually be dealing with bigger things. Most people are far more complex than they appear. They just tend to not let on. I think it's a little arrogant that you assume that people won't understand you. Have you tried? You say 'won't' rather than 'don't', implying that you haven't tried. It isn't a problem until it is real and has happened. At the moment this is in your head. And isn't it a bit, well, immature to make such a blanket, judgemental statement? Perhaps you just need to get out more and meet people who aren't necessarily any more mature than your current peers, but just more on your wavelength. I'd be hesitant to attribute your lack of connection with your peers to precocity. It might be that you are mature, but it is unlikely that you are in every aspect.
Reply 7
so am i suppose to compliment you?
How can you be "too mature" at 18? :s-smilie: When I was 18 I was working full time and living with my fiancé. Some of my friends had kids. I was expecting you to be like 13/14 maybe haha. There's nothing wrong with being a mature 18 year old, as you're an adult anyway.

Some people confuse 'maturity' with 'having a laugh'. You'll often hear people saying that someone is 'so immature' when they're just having a funny 5 minutes. I think they are the 'immature' ones for thinking you have to be stone faced all day 24/7 to be an adult.:biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by Climbontoyourseahorse
Instead of providing sympathy and possible solutions, I'm going to suggest that you question your view that you are exceptionally mature for your age. A lot of people feel like that. Unless there is also a substantial amount of the population who are very immature for their age to counteract these worldly ones, if all those who believed they were mature were correct in their conviction, the average maturity level at any given age would increase, thus making many of those who thought they were mature quite average. The image people present to the outside world is often very different to how they are inside. You might feel that people your age only care about getting drunk, for example, but behind their 'care-free', party animal personas they might actually be dealing with bigger things. Most people are far more complex than they appear. They just tend to not let on. I think it's a little arrogant that you assume that people won't understand you. Have you tried? You say 'won't' rather than 'don't', implying that you haven't tried. It isn't a problem until it is real and has happened. At the moment this is in your head. And isn't it a bit, well, immature to make such a blanket, judgemental statement? Perhaps you just need to get out more and meet people who aren't necessarily any more mature than your current peers, but just more on your wavelength. I'd be hesitant to attribute your lack of connection with your peers to precocity. It might be that you are mature, but it is unlikely that you are in every aspect.

I bet you think you're mature, right? :P

Anyway, it's not me who has said it - it is other people. And I'm not stupid enough to think drinking and 'having a laugh' equates to immaturity.
Reply 10
Original post by JennaEmBee
Some people confuse 'maturity' with 'having a laugh'. You'll often hear people saying that someone is 'so immature' when they're just having a funny 5 minutes. I think they are the 'immature' ones for thinking you have to be stone faced all day 24/7 to be an adult.:biggrin:

Did I ever say I can't/won't have a laugh? And I never said being 'stonefaced' was the same as being mature.

This posts sounds very serious so here's a funny video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2ZkTvLdH2o

Ha. Ha. Ha.
Reply 11
Actually to add to my point, I did say DON'T, not WON'T. Re-read the OP.
I kinda think people my age... or maybe just in my school ,are immature or are they stupid? It's like I get really annoyed with them because they laugh over silly matters . Like the other day we were writing an exam & and the wind blew the window & the children in my class were laughing and saying it was a ghost -_-...I really got annoyed because we were like in the middle of an exam and they laughing at something really stupid . BTW it's a class of 15 & 16 year olds.

And my mum says I'm sometimes more mature than my older sister she 18n& im 16 ...
Original post by IDONTKNOW42000
I kinda think people my age... or maybe just in my school ,are immature or are they stupid? It's like I get really annoyed with them because they laugh over silly matters . Like the other day we were writing an exam & and the wind blew the window & the children in my class were laughing and saying it was a ghost -_-...I really got annoyed because we were like in the middle of an exam and they laughing at something really stupid . BTW it's a class of 15 & 16 year olds.

And my mum says I'm sometimes more mature than my older sister she 18n& im 16 ...

Old thread is old, but whatever.

Isn't it relative to an individuals sense of humour? You might not find a window blowing open amusing, but you're bound to find that other people don't always share a giggle in whatever floats your boat.

For the record, I'm nearly 25 and I still find farts hilarious. Some **** just doesn't get old :h:
Well I guess you kinda right about that ...
Original post by Anonymous
This isn't what I've said, other people have commented on how mature I am(and I'm not saying people my age are immature). And this just causes all sorts of problems:

-it feels like people don't understand me(friends and family)
-it doesn't feel like I'll find someone because
a) everyone my age aren't like me
b) older people will think i'm 'immature'
c) people my age who may give me a chance won't understand me

It feels like a vicious cycle. I feel like I'm too different from everyone else.

I'm 18 btw.

i'm 17 and had the same problem in my last school but i went to collage and am in the moderate cool stakes but that could be giving everyone £10 last year in my class that did that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending