The Student Room Group

Driving on country roads...

There's a lot of country roads near me, and some are wide enough, but others have LONG stretches (like 500 metres) where it's only wide enough for one car

I don't like to drive on them because I panic about what if me and another car get stuck... who reverses? what if cars start queuing behind each of us? :confused:

I don't think it's as bad at night, because they're usually dead, and you can see the headlights of other cars, but I dread the day I'm giving someone a lift home and they say "Oh I just live up this country road..." :redface:
Reply 1
you play chicken til one of you pussies out
Reply 2
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
There's a lot of country roads near me, and some are wide enough, but others have LONG stretches (like 500 metres) where it's only wide enough for one car

I don't like to drive on them because I panic about what if me and another car get stuck... who reverses? what if cars start queuing behind each of us? :confused:

I don't think it's as bad at night, because they're usually dead, and you can see the headlights of other cars, but I dread the day I'm giving someone a lift home and they say "Oh I just live up this country road..." :redface:

It's not that bad honestly! Just force yourself to drive there!! I don't think anyone likes them :/
If you do meet someone halfway, whoevers closer to a lay-by should reverse... But not everyone does... Sometimes you can tell from their expression that they expect you to reverse!!
Usually though, one of you can see the other coming, early enough to pull up on the side :smile:
Main thing is: just be alert for any cars coming, and like I said, it's usually obvious who should reverse - and sometimes you can just about squeeze past anyway! :biggrin:
The car nearest the placing place reverses. Hold your place on the road if it's just wide enough, never go the off the road. If the other car is not wanting to reverse and they are closer creep forward or hold your place, don't reverse make them.
Reply 4
As said, normally the vehicle nearest a passing place backs up. Use a bit of sense though - if the other vehicle is significantly bigger or is towing a trailer don't try and force them to back up (they probably won't anyway)
Reply 5
Usually it is the person who is closer to a passing point who reverses unless one vehicle is something like a lorry which is more awkward to reverse in. If you've only just passed your test and you're really nervous get some P plates, then when you meet someone coming the other way you can sit there looking worried and they will probably reverse for you.

The other thing to remember is that if someone hits you while you are stationary it is always their fault. I was once driving down a narrow lane when I met someone coming the other way. I was expecting him to reverse as he was close to a passing point, instead he kept coming and squeezed past me. It was so tight that he had to tuck in his mirror to fit past so I sat there with the hand brake on until he was past.
Reply 6
Its this type of thing where advanced driving organisations come into their own
Original post by Nice.Guy
It's not that bad honestly! Just force yourself to drive there!! I don't think anyone likes them :/
If you do meet someone halfway, whoevers closer to a lay-by should reverse... But not everyone does... Sometimes you can tell from their expression that they expect you to reverse!!
Usually though, one of you can see the other coming, early enough to pull up on the side :smile:
Main thing is: just be alert for any cars coming, and like I said, it's usually obvious who should reverse - and sometimes you can just about squeeze past anyway! :biggrin:

I agree.
Once you have driven along them a few times you wont feel as nervous.
Reply 8
Believe me or not but in real world the one with **** car reverses.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by ROG.
Its this type of thing where advanced driving organisations come into their own

Why? I know your advice is usually quite good but this is absolute rubbish. There's nothing advanced about driving along country lanes so long as you don't drive like a knob. Just use courtesy and common sense and you'll be fine. I grew up on country lanes and far prefer them to city driving.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending