The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Latin 2013: Apuleius and Aeneid

Scroll to see replies

how did it go everyone?

I thought it was alright :/ not terrible, but not as easy as the January paper (I did Part B)
Reply 81
Original post by radhikagulati
how did it go everyone?

I thought it was alright :/ not terrible, but not as easy as the January paper (I did Part B)

I did B too. Comprehension was so hard- why are they evenly matched etc!
Original post by Helena...
I did B too. Comprehension was so hard- why are they evenly matched etc!

yeah i thought that as well, i think for that one i put the fact luck plays a part and at this point, they both have equal luck and so equal chances of winning and the fact they are both raining blow upon blow on each other therefore, they are both fighters- neither is yet the winner and neither is the loser :/

what did you put for the one before the translation that said what happened before he was fleeing (something like that) and the 8 marker?
Reply 83
yeah i thought that as well, i think for that one i put the fact luck plays a part and at this point, they both have equal luck and so equal chances of winning and the fact they are both raining blow upon blow on each other therefore, they are both fighters- neither is yet the winner and neither is the loser :/

what did you put for the one before the translation that said what happened before he was fleeing (something like that) and the 8 marker?

he had picked up the wrong sword and the sword broke. I said how parts are unexpected, dramatic etc and used examples Why did the earth groan!
Original post by Helena...
he had picked up the wrong sword and the sword broke. I said how parts are unexpected, dramatic etc and used examples Why did the earth groan!

That's what I put at first and then I combined them into a single point and talked about the stag simile.

Once again OCR have provided us with some very ambiguous questions which I find slightly disappointing but perhaps that is because I thought I knew the set text well enough not to hazard a guess with most questions. 8-mark question was lovely again, we got lucky!
Original post by TelephoneBox
That's what I put at first and then I combined them into a single point and talked about the stag simile.

Once again OCR have provided us with some very ambiguous questions which I find slightly disappointing but perhaps that is because I thought I knew the set text well enough not to hazard a guess with most questions. 8-mark question was lovely again, we got lucky!

I put Turnus' mortal sword broke due to to Aeneas' god-made armour and the Trojans closed in on him in a densely packed ring from all sides (couldnt think of anything else :/) so hopefully ill get 1 mark:smile:

I thought the 8 marker was alright, it wasnt the best one we could have gotten and the 12 marker was the same- you could think of enough points, just not so many that you can pick and choose

for the earth one i said it foreshadowed the violence and loud noise of the fight that was to come (guessed again) :/
Reply 86
OCR seem to be making a habit of asking the most ambiguous questions possible where they could be so much better expressed, thus making it easier to answer. I knew the text fully, and I struggled with some of the questions. Was ok on the whole though.
Original post by MissMedicine
Do you think that Horace shows more honest respect to Fortune than Jupiter?

No
I did Section A. Bitch of a paper. The comprehension questions were horrible and sometimes ambiguous (like for Persius they asked you for something that wasn't in the passage they showed). The 10 marker was hard, too. The eight marker was lovely, HOWEVER our stupid teacher had never made us aware that any question like that would come up.

But I don't care, because my GCSEs are overrrrrr :tongue: :cool:
Original post by paradoxicalme
I did Section A. Bitch of a paper. The comprehension questions were horrible and sometimes ambiguous (like for Persius they asked you for something that wasn't in the passage they showed). The 10 marker was hard, too. The eight marker was lovely, HOWEVER our stupid teacher had never made us aware that any question like that would come up.

But I don't care, because my GCSEs are overrrrrr :tongue: :cool:

whar was the Perseus question you're on about?
What did they ask about Perseus?
They gave lines 5-8 of Persius ("now my fields are increasing, now my sheepfold is increasing"...sigh in vain for the single coin left at the very bottom of his purse) and then asked 'what did he hope to get in return for his offerings?' But what he's stating in lines 5-8 isn't what he hopes to get, it's what he thinks he is getting. It states in lines 1-4 what he hopes he will get (grant that my household gods make me prosperous, grant me cattle and fertile flocks).

Original post by Kolasinac138
What did they ask about Perseus?

Original post by krishthakrar
whar was the Perseus question you're on about?
He hoped to get cattle and offspring - that was the answer
Original post by Kolasinac138
He hoped to get cattle and offspring - that was the answer

That's my point - that wasn't in the extract they gave. Completely misleading question.
Reply 94
Original post by paradoxicalme
That's my point - that wasn't in the extract they gave. Completely misleading question.

We had one of those in Section B too. "What happened to cause this action?" and it wasn't in the passage.
i'm not gonna get an A* 100%
how did everyone do?

i got an a*:smile:
Reply 97
how did everyone do?

Unfortunately I got a C which I'm really shocked about. I was predicted an A* and got an A in my mock and normally you go up a grade in the exam but I went down by 2 grades. I'm really surprised and confused as I didn't think it went too badly. What should I do? Do you think I should get it remarked or did I just mess up really badly?
Original post by daisyde
Unfortunately I got a C which I'm really shocked about. I was predicted an A* and got an A in my mock and normally you go up a grade in the exam but I went down by 2 grades. I'm really surprised and confused as I didn't think it went too badly. What should I do? Do you think I should get it remarked or did I just mess up really badly?

I'm really sorry about that, I hope you aren't feeling to crappy!

if you get it remarked I really doubt you would go up by so many grades, especially as Latin has very tight marking and grade boundaries. Maybe your exam style could be improved in order to get the marks (it's passing through hoops at gcse eurgh)? If you did what you teacher advised then they could be blamed, what did other people in your class get? I would advise re-taking next year only if latin is essential to you, e.g. you want to do classics or latin at university. If you re-take I would advise getting a copy of your paper back and go through it with your teacher, put it up on the student room for someone else's advice and then comparing it to the mark scheme when it comes up. Unis understand latin is hard, even at gcse, and so if your other grades are good I wouldn't worry too much:smile:

what did you get (ums and grade) in each exam? I could give you some advice on how to push your ums up?

best wishes

x
how did everyone do?

Nice job, I got an A, though I'm contemplating going for a remark. I got
Reckon it'd be worth going for it? Also how far above the grade boundary were you?

Not that I'm not happy with an A (its Latin...) But if I'm close I may as well go for it. Although in any other subject those kind of % would be an a* lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending